BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Repainting black engine casings Empty Repainting black engine casings Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:55 pm

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
Has anyone any suggestions as to the best way to repaint the satin black finish on the casings on my LT? The cam cover, crank cover and front panels are looking a bit tired. Stove enameling or has anyone used a spray paint with any sucess?

http://www.johnsdrivingschool.co

2Back to top Go down   Repainting black engine casings Empty Re: Repainting black engine casings Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:28 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
I've used satin black spray can paint on bits (luggage rack, stone chips on the engine, lever ends etc) of my RS to some degree of sucess and (if they fit) I've stuck them in the oven to help "cure" them. They turn out quite ok looking.

I don't know if I'm really doing anything when I stick them in the oven (apart from annoying the hell out of my wife) but they come out alright.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

3Back to top Go down   Repainting black engine casings Empty Re: Repainting black engine casings Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:07 am

beachcomber

beachcomber
Silver member
Silver member
We're just experimenting with a Black wrinkle paint. NOT one of the commercially available spray cans which are a bit unreliable.

This paint is a product we "tripped over" - it currently is not even offered to the automotive market.

The problem is that it will probably only be available in 1 tr / 2.5 ltr cans for spray application, so not really suitable for home diy.

So far we've sprayed it on the black plastic engine parts [ filter housing etc.], a Cosworth V6 engine and some alloy sheet. Cosmetic results are perfect every time and no messing with ovens etc. Just need to see how long it lasts now????

4Back to top Go down   Repainting black engine casings Empty Re: Repainting black engine casings Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:19 pm

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Speaking of all things black...fresh from the factory, was the muffler heat shield satin or wrinkle black or some other finish?

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

5Back to top Go down   Repainting black engine casings Empty Re: Repainting black engine casings Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:39 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
I believe Satin black

6Back to top Go down   Repainting black engine casings Empty Re: Repainting black engine casings Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:39 pm

reg_K100RS

Silver member
Silver member
Not known for making things look pretty, the reverse if anything but i do recall
some guys talking of using an etch primer before spraying alloy
If I undertand it correctly, this is to prevent oxidisaton erupting under the paint
I've tarted my casings up with rattle can satin black but find it goes greyish after a year or so

7Back to top Go down   Repainting black engine casings Empty Re: Repainting black engine casings Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:04 am

beachcomber

beachcomber
Silver member
Silver member
Etch primer is generally for sheet alloy [ car bodies, etc.] and as the name suggests - allows a chemical etch into the alloy to allow the paint to adhere better. It is not primarily there to stop oxidisation, although it may help. Repainting black engine casings Icon_wink

We have sprayed the wrinkle paint we "found" on the alloy dash panels of the Realm C Type replicas without an etch primer and they have not degraded at all [ 3 years ].

The Cosworth V6 we painted has been left outside in the yard in all weathers and is still perfect. We will try it with some heat next. I will spray up the valve cover box and "sump" first - but I intend to spray a complete powertrain - engine, gearbox, swingarm, bevel box to see what the results are. We also have a "Ferrari" Red and have asked the company to produce an "Aluminium" finish which I want to try on a set of Airhead cases. Repainting black engine casings Icon_cool

8Back to top Go down   Repainting black engine casings Empty Re: Repainting black engine casings Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:21 pm

hot_seat

hot_seat
used vht satern black but use a etch primer,the paint doesnt have to be a heat paint as the motor doesnt get that hot (or shouldnt),sprayed 4 years ago ,no peal ,its only wearing off,with wind priction and an itchy foot

Tony

9Back to top Go down   Repainting black engine casings Empty Re: Repainting black engine casings Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:25 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Tks Tony
I've been deliberating what to do. I bought a can of that a few months ago and been staring at it since. I thought that I'd rub all the paint off the engine covers and polish it, got one side done and realised drinking beer and watching telly was more fun so now if the police chase me we get two descriptions from either side. HA.
Time to mask it all up and get brave.
RT

10Back to top Go down   Repainting black engine casings Empty Re: Repainting black engine casings Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:45 am

geordnz

geordnz
Silver member
Silver member
Let us know the results RT. My right side is looking very shabby.

11Back to top Go down   Repainting black engine casings Empty Re: Repainting black engine casings Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:29 pm

hot_seat

hot_seat
Good on ya mate

Whats the worse that can happen,it looks like crap so paint in another colour (say orange) or strip it and start again $10 for a paint tin !!

Tony

12Back to top Go down   Repainting black engine casings Empty Re: Repainting black engine casings Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:51 pm

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
Or do what i did.... start painting... then decide nope i not going to get it right strip it right back then take it all to the paint shop..... Roll on Saturday will have all my bodywork back...

Repainting black engine casings 169042Repainting black engine casings 169034

13Back to top Go down   Repainting black engine casings Empty Re: Repainting black engine casings Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:31 am

hot_seat

hot_seat
How did the new paint job look Twincarb,you know now that you will have to clean her every Sunday from now on !!

14Back to top Go down   Repainting black engine casings Empty Re: Repainting black engine casings Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:22 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
aye!!!..black does show up dirt purdy easy ...

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

15Back to top Go down   Repainting black engine casings Empty Re: Repainting black engine casings Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:06 am

geordnz

geordnz
Silver member
Silver member
Did my right hand cover with vht satern black today. Looks good! Now the rest of the bike looks dirty. Lol. Well it does need a clean. As usual, took me longer to get the lower fairing off and mask the area than put the three coats of paint on. Not sure weather to sand off the stripes and BMW to metal again yet.

16Back to top Go down   Repainting black engine casings Empty Re: Repainting black engine casings Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:40 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
like this ?

Repainting black engine casings Pictur14

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

17Back to top Go down   Repainting black engine casings Empty Re: Repainting black engine casings Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:43 am

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
Have a look at Oldgoats, restoration page i am pretty certain that he has only the BMW back to metal, he has a different finish mind... I am thinking of copying lol...

Will post a pic of my fairing which is now all resprayed and in the dining room... I am more than happy with the finish more like Repainting black engine casings 502531

Repainting black engine casings 169042Repainting black engine casings 169034

18Back to top Go down   Repainting black engine casings Empty Re: Repainting black engine casings Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:33 pm

hot_seat

hot_seat
i just finished repainting my engine cases and this is the comonation i found great

wire brushed the covers down using a wire brush in an angle grinder

undercoat was VHT high temp engine black ,being high temp it has a ceramic base which gives a strong wearing undercoat but the finish is very matt so i needed a semi matt top coat and used the VHT semi black as a top and it looks and feels great

Happy Painting

Just dont do it on the cooks dinning table!!

19Back to top Go down   Repainting black engine casings Empty Re: Repainting black engine casings Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:02 pm

chuck_donahue

I went with gloss black

I can't post a pic for 7 days or I would show you. Looks good!!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum