VIP
VIP
cheers Rick

good find

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
LFB has had a Motobatt AGM for the last six years. It's been completely ignored and has never failed to start the bike yet. OTOH, almost daily use has probably had a big part to play in its longevity.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Charlie, have you managed to keep that yellow Motobatt AGM alive since October of '16? If so, wouldn't that be a good replacement? I reckon it only had two years on it then.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
hi dazza
yes the yellow battery is in , it has kept good charge with monthly - bi monthly top ups since then

it is a dream really and makes the start process really easy ...quick blip to prime the fuel ...then bang shes running always first time on the next button press

ive had to use gerty for transport last couple of weeks , as the little silver car chucked a wobbly and blew a gearbox (known issue ...I find out later )

so a couple of thousand on the clock travelling round abouts for work

till I can get a couple of days off to source another gear box and fit it

cheers mate

its done the job marvelously

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Glad to hear the battery has been used and has continued to do its job. I reckon another Motobatt (pity about the colour, easily changed) will be sourced from that battery bloke in Beenleigh upon my return in Spring this year.

If it comes to it....I have a silver gearbox in good nick from a relatively low-mileage '86 US-spec K100RS that could be posted over in a light wood crate surrounded by a cardboard box. You can have it for the postage, old mate.

I got the 'box from South Sound BMW in Fife, Washington several years ago. It has a story: the owner brought his bike in for a service back in about 2008 whilst I was back home in OZ. He never came back for the bike and after repeated attempts by the workshop to contact him, they found out he'd been busted for dealing drugs and an assault charge and was 'up the river'. His rellies were eventually contacted and said he wouldn't be eligible for parole for ten years and they didn't want to take possession of the bike. The workshop dismantled the bike for spare parts (since they're allowed to claim 'mechanic's lien' for services rendered) after about two years in storage and quite a few of those bits made it home with me from 2012 when I returned to work there. I've had it in dry storage, mostly empty of oil. I spin it every coupla months and she seems to shift as normal. The splines look good.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
ill be looking for similar battery daz
recon the motobat will still be in good order for later this year
it will be coming out in the next couple of weeks  , soon as i can find a replacement ...and stop travelling long enough to look around

who was the guy at Beenleigh ?

thanks for the offer of the gearbox mate

the one I need to replace is in the car

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
charlie99 wrote:who was the guy at Beenleigh ?

thanks for the offer of the gearbox mate

the one I need to replace is in the car
Doh! If only I could read.

He's called Beenleigh Batteries, rides a KTM and BMWs, and has the most reasonable prices I've seen (at retail) on bike batteries. My brother Shane gets his MB and other car batteries from him and he backs them no worries if there's a (rare) warranty issue.

Here's what the place looks like on Google Earth. It's near the showgrounds and by a KFC or Red Rooster, @ 14 Reservoir Street.
Beenleigh Batteries

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
worth a call then
cheers mate

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
some time ago after a little whoopsy event at smithys I changed the main fairing
but after a bit of time old wounds became apparent to the replacement

firstly the top left fairing tree mount cracked away from the main part
on closer inspection it had been bogged up by someone previously  it just broke away .

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20180318

nothing to do but rebuild it properly with glass fibre   

now dug out and the pieces jigsawed back into place

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20180319

and applying some matting around the area for support

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20180320

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20180321

the other side looked a bit dodgy as well , so did similar and dug out all the bog

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20180322

a crack had appeared on the outer in front of the failed mount ... hmm yes a repair there as well , so layed on some more fibreglass matt

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20180323

so now a bit of a clean up  and repaint

the mounts now hold well  and I was able to clean of a bandage of glass matt that I hurriedly applied back then

not a bad result for an old tragic like me

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20180324

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20180325

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20180326

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
What is it that you used that actually stuck to that composite material of the original fairing. I have never found anything that will adhere to it, all have failed within a year or so.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
just clean off with acetone and let dry before applying the resin , with a brush . the surface needs to be pitted to a degree , I use a dremel type abrasive wheel to cut crosshatch marks into the base composite stuff Rick

on that front fairing fix no cuts were applied . the area is big enough to bond as its not under a whole lot of stress like the mounts

very important to remove any paint  before hand , else, as you say doesn't stick for long

norton71

norton71
Silver member
Silver member
Hi

composite material of the original fairing

when i bought the ex cop 1987 K100RT with holes....  where cop blue/red flashing lights where fitted and then  removed... leaving  only the holes where the lights had been fitted previously...... the guy i took it to in Edwardstown Adelaide to get it all repainted ....said the best thing to fill the holes and smooth out  every thing else on the fairing  was Superglue..... tape one end of any hole and  fill any scar with superglue ..let it set and then work on it  and put more on if it needs it .... works fine on a composite material..and if you want to make it stronger maybe then brace it Charlies way with fiberglass matting etc

Woodie

Woodie
Life time member
Life time member
Cyanoacrylate glue.  That's what the fellow in this video shows.  Seems to be a fairly decent fix.  For larger repairs I'm not sure how cost effective/expensive it might be.  I was thinking that it might start as the first layer adhering to the base material and then build it up with epoxy resin in the normal way.

"Keep your stick on the ice.  We're all in this together."  Red Green

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Depending on the size of the hole super glue is a good fix.  I didn't watch the video, but the trick I use is to fill the hole with baking soda, put the super glue on to saturate the glue, and then hit it with catalyst.  I get my glue and catalyst at a hobby shop that caters to the guys who build R/C airplanes. 

For repairing the fairing mounts that break off,  I have had pretty good luck with quick-set epoxy.  

For glass work I have pretty much stopped using epoxy resin after many years.  I have found that polyester resin is way faster to work with since, when properly mixed, it sets and can be worked on in minutes, rather than having to wait until the next day.  Also, most fillers won't cure properly in the presence of fresh epoxy unless they are also epoxy based.  This makes the repair process way too long for my sense of almost instant gratification.  Whereas epoxy based repairs can take 3-5 days to complete, I can get it done and primed in a single day with polyester.

Speaking of filler, for filling the surface of a repair the best I have found is DuraGlas.  It has fiberglass fibers in it which makes it a lot more resistant to cracking than the traditional Bondo fillers.  Always wear a dust mask when sanding filler, especially the stuff with the glass in it.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

Woodie

Woodie
Life time member
Life time member
There is a product called 'Mitrebond' that I know from the world of carpentry.  I have never used it but it is a product that has been around for several years.  I don't know what made me look at it a couple of weeks ago, perhaps the spray can that comes with it, but something fired deep in my brain and I figured out that it is super glue with accelerator.  It has been modified to be thicker and have a long shelf life.  Most building centers will have it here in North America.  I'll be using it to do some of the repairs on my fairings.  Polyester resin will always be the best bang for your buck though.  

Any idea what BMW was using back in the day?  Possibly vinylester resin?  I know nothing about vinylester other than that it was typically only used on a large commercial scale for production work.

"Keep your stick on the ice.  We're all in this together."  Red Green

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
thanks guys, all good food for thought

i know there are now many more alternatives to fixings - adhesion etc  even jb weld would likely do the job with amazing hold power results

my idea by using fiberglass and resin was designed to spread the load bearing area across the inner fairing rather than relying on single point or multiple contact adhesion on the mounting stud

especially after seeing the outer cracks apparent from a previous drop event

cheers to all

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
a good while since I could clean up the exhaust  , so pulled it off , still covered in grunge from weeks of riding in the rain

no4 has taken a bit of beating

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20180327

pull apart is really easy

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20180328

bit of grinding with a 3m paint remover wheel  and lots of elbow grease  has number 4 looking better

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20180329

likewise the heat stains on the muffler , and just a bit of polish to apply

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20180330

a quick buff and ready to go back together

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20180331

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
If ever you get an itch to sell off that nasty old, who'd want it anyway Staintune, Charlie....
85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 652573

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
mounted up

note to self , remember , refit afm before trying to start the bike ...doh !!!    ...but wot without aircleaner box  etc does sound awesome ....giggles

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20180334

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
thought to redo the airbox and remove some overflow fluid damage to the paintwork , whilst doing stuff

repainted

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20180335

almost ready to go back in

the top of engine still relatively clean after 4 years or so , but as usual a little grubby around that crank breather area and the infamous z tube to the plenum

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20180336

blast, thumb print planted during reassembly of the maf into the housing , but looking better

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20180337

thought to add a k1100 snorkel (a gift care of Floyd ) as an attempt to try out , whilst heading out for a test ride

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20180338

after a run to the dams area , behind the Brisbane valley , lots of things noticed for the better

the recent works have proved valuable , with vibrations reduced all over the place , the fairing sits better , with less movement  the reset of the exhaust system to all the mounts , sidestand tighten up etc  and this snorkel appears to work well with good torque noticed above 3 k

the snorkel suffered the Charlie treatment over night , now refitted this morning ready for a longer run , south over the border ranges , for a family visit , long overdue

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20180410

back home tonight , is the plan

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Have a Nice trip 85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 Vinker10

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
cheers Inge
this weekend was supposed to be rained out , but lovely sunshine all around , last couple of days , bliss

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Somewhere I saw a picture of the breather tube replaced with a length of silicon pipe encase in a spring to stop it collapsing. It had a good curve on it to avoid the block, but I sat up and took good note for when mine next falls apart.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
hmm good to hear Dai ...sounds like a good idea

meanwhile after a trip south for the easter break and a family visit long overdue , rain of coarse  along the way

about time for a bath for the old girl , its been a while

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20180411

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20180412

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
time to change that rear tyre .....just about time for the front as well actually

worn in the middle  as mainly highway riding , but I'm reminded by the passionate tyre guy that the Plus one sizes  don't let the wear on the sides show as well as the 130 x 90 size ,,, for the rim size ...he suggests that 3.00 inch rim would show a more equal wear pattern
be that as it is   the same will be fitted up by Saturday  and the carcase transferred to another rim  I have as an emergency spare

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20180428

whilst in there  I thought to clean up the rear shock  as it was showing some corrosion , the spring wears on the shock body somewhat , so will be looking for some very thin but tough isolator material that will slip in that small space between shock body and spring

after the clean up ,, sparkling clean , with some clear coat added

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20180429

some detailing required to clean up the spring paint surface , but another day perhaps

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
attacked the mis adjusted throttle bodies on Anzac Day holiday , almost got it sorted right then but some linkage issues, now resolved
85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20180430

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20180431

whilst in there new orings for the injectors

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20180432

I can see that the coatings of the injectors needs a bit of a cleanup as well  ...hmm will have to go back in there soon I guess , but another day

and a paintwork cleanup of the plenum

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20180433

all cleaned up and back together and synced with the carb tune , runs well

that rear tyre updated and on the back , with a scrub in run planned for tomorrow, ready for the run up to Stanthorpe next weekend

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20180434

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20180435

was reading that the highland gathering is happening next weekend also up at Glenn Innes , + the motor car show ,,,with electric vehicles as well ...hmmm .
I guess Al will be there with Marie ?
and a few mates travelling to the car expo

327Back to top Go down   85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 Empty Customization Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:52 pm

svenok

svenok
85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 <a href=85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20180335" />

Hi, I like the idea of painting mine, probably stick to a flat black....(maybe) but I was wondering is there a special type of paint you have to use on this type of plastic?
If the box has been maintained with "Armor all" would this cause the paint not to stick

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
thanks for the comment

um yes the armour all would make the painting problematic if left in raw state

but I think if you look up how to remove the armour all type residue , perhaps thinners might work ?  but I cant offer a good suggestion

BUT

after that could be accomplished
you would need to use a plastic primer , before anything else
the application of the primer needs to be done lightly as too much could cause fracturing away from the plastic , over time

I have been coating that primer  with an etch primer after wards  and cutting back as necessary , a light final coat of primer then fine paper works well

lastly, the type of paint for the colour is important, I have tried a few type of rattle can paints , the best I have found is an epoxy enamel , but none of the paints other than the real shop finishing paints are totally petrol safe ,  just be aware before you start

here are some other parts that I have done this same way...

all for a future project build

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20170610

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20171011

followed by a good brand clear coat

good luck and let me know how it goes ..

cheers

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
When I paint flexible plastic parts I start by washing thoroughly with Dawn dish detergent followed by a wash with prep solvent or enamel reducer.  Then a good scrub with 320 grit wet or dry.  Another good clean with prep solvent and a coat of paint adhesion promoter(this is the most important part) to help the paint stick to the plastic.

The paint schedule consists of a high build primer(I like to use the lightest grey I can find.  It helps the colors "pop".  For black or dark grey finishes go for a darker shade of primer.) followed by a wet sand with 600 grit.  Then repair of any small dings and scratches with glazing putty wet sanded with 600.  A final coat of high build primer, to cover the glaze, wet sanded with 320 grit and then the finish coats. 

While it sounds like a lot of work, a bunch of parts can be done in two days working a couple hours each day.  Most of the time is waiting for the glazing compound to dry enough to sand.  That is where I usually break for the day to allow for an overnight dry.  Pretty much everything else can be recoated or sanded  in about 15-20 minutes.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
did a throttle body change today

the tbs were progressively becoming harder to operate first thing in the morning , very hard to open ...a few finger actions at opening them with the cable adaptor cam assisted  , but unsure what this action was doing to the accelerator cable , and gear set in the handlebars , long term .

perhaps during the last install I had bent the frame of the bodies out of kilter and now binding along their axis  ? with the slight difference in temperature ?? 

so I prepared another set that I had on hand , first off adjusted the linkages that never should be touched , so that all butterflies  were a gnats cock close to each other in opening ..and closing , achieved this with 4 brass roads (1/8 inch ) thick through the tb butterflies

then a cleanup of the vacuum paths including the jets , set them at 1.5 turns out on the bypass screws

then to the job at hand

a bit of oil weepage had been happening around the crank breather tube , I had not been able to successfully tighten the hose clamp around the base , letting some vapour bypass the tube ….(turned it 90 degrees  and achieved full seal now)

coming out

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20180818 

oil weepage

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20180819

soon cleaned up

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20180820

going back on ,easiest way ive found is to attach the tbs to the plenum and then fit down into the head support rubbers ...its still a pain to achieve though  but persistence pays

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20180821

later assembled  and ready to tighten up

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20180822

all done ...even got the hose clamps not binding ...first try

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20180823

totally surprised that with minimal suggested setting that the bike started and ran ...fairly smoothly first up

tomorrow tb balance and adjust , but the throttle control seems far smoother and responsive already from the feel..

a win I guess ...more to come

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
run up to glorious and back after tb syncing

all good

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
not a bad outcome of some cleaning
85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20180831

but disaster follows ...found a leak of fuel from somewhere  in , under - around the tank ...and all over my left leg as I got to work this morning ….eeeek !

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Hope it's just a fuel pipe.... Sad

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
I think it is dai
feed pipe replaced last week
found the fuel rail end almost collapsed completely so maybe spraying out at the feed spigot

have a replacement at hand

no drips when not running at all

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
sorted ..!

bit hard tying to fit hoses  at 2 deg c ....giggle
although ill bet ricks place was - 6c again

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
-5°C this morning but -7°C yesterday (Monday) which will be the coldest for a few years. I think this will be the last of the really frosty starts for this year. Although I do often think of the people in places in northern Europe and Canada where -7°C would be a pleasant maximum for the day Brrrrrrr

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
new battery installed

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20180915

whilst in there ,
relocated the rear brake master reservoir ...to up where it will hide from the sun

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20180916

oh well , all worked out fine , with easy access for filling

the old reservoir the old one had cracked at the output spigot ...again !!!!,

and replaced bellows on the master cylinder , thanks to Martin ….and Matthew for dropping it off last weekend

cheers guys
85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20180918

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20180919

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20180917

the motobatt is on its way to TWB's place for his expected arrival next week end - and reinstallation to the red rs ...and many miles of trouble free riding …
it has done a great job , after sitting in my little shack for quite some time , a recharge every couple of months and just lately service on old Gerty

it still has lots of grunt ...thanks mate for the loan

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20180920

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
That Motobatt was bought by me in October of 2014, with one and a half of those years with no recharging done, as it sat from November of '14 until Feb of '16. You've had it for just on 2 years now, since late Oct of '16. I never expected to see it live this long, nor to get it back from you. Thanks for taking good care of it! I'll be the one borrowing it this time.

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
LFB has had a Motobatt in it for nearly six years now. Admittedly, it rarely stands for more than a couple of days without being used.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
some more wasted elbow grease

felt sorry for the old girl...as I need to pay attention inside the engine covers with a noise reducing rework of output shaft and cam chain tensioner

which will happen ...just not yet

timing cover rework and some polishing on the tappet cover ...may need to repaint the retro speed lines into the head cover ...been a while ...giggle

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20180923

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20180924

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20180925

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
thought I might give the foot plates a revisit

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20180931

looks ok I guess ...now to find some ss bolts  to replace the old ones

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20180932

rhs is started but incomplete, but at least they are cleaner ? huh ?

Born Again Eccentric

Born Again Eccentric
Life time member
Life time member
"Looks OK I guess" - seriously Charlie?! 

I have to put shades on just to look at your gleaming metal work pics. Having tried (and failed) to get various bike parts looking half as good, I know how much effort must go into your polishing.

"Heidi" K100LT 1991 (Grey) (VIN 0190172 Engine No. 104EB 2590 2213) - 5th owner. January 2014 (34,000 - 61,000 miles and counting....)
"Gretel" K100LT 1989 (Silver Grey) (VIN 0177324 Engine No. 104EA 2789 2211) - 4th+ owner. September 2015 (58,500miles and counting....). Cat C Insurance write-off rebuild Feb 17
"Donor" K100LT 1990 (Red)  (VIN 0178091 Engine No. 4489 2024) - 6th & final owner (crash write-off now donor bike).   June 2012 (73,000 miles) to November 2013 (89,500 miles)

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
I believe that you need to show us how to do all this work. In November we will line up a few examples of dirty bikes for to turn into Charlie's angels. You cannot stop till all are finished.

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
charlie99 wrote:
85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20180932

It looks like Sheffield plate. I'd expect to see a Lion Passant on the other side. Cool

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
and some stainless fasteners  fitted up

was near dusk and didn't get the angle right , but you get the idea eh ? its slow progress with a limited budget

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20180933

edit :

right hand side now done ...  looks ok ? 

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20180934

thanks for the comments guys

stan old mate , all the tools are here , would need a trailer to cart it all up there  , which is not impossible ,but the November trip is for riding . wind in the hair and enjoying each others company

your welcome to call past and stay a few days at home  and lets see what we can do ???

next long weekend is coming up , um,, this weekend or something … is queens birthday holiday on Monday 1st october 

after the dgr

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
with the New England ride not far off , time for some maintenance
the usually bevel box and gear box lubrication change

but you guessed it, couldn't help myself , after some success with the foot peg plates ,
so ok what does the bevel box look like with a lot of the sand cast marks diminished

time to find out

hours and hours of work to reduce the rough surface , in prep for some polishing

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20181020

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20181021

whilst in there though to split the box and inspect the internals , looks clean , but will need to replace the outer bearing some time in the future ...have the part , just unsure of the removal technique , with the tools I have at hand .

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20181022

going back together now  with new oils and spline lube , which didn't look to bad at all

85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20181023

will need to replace the spline input bearing seal , its leaking a little , maybe over filled last time attended .

close to finished , and gearbox oils replaced also , the typical water ingression made the oil pulled out look slightly creamy in colour
85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20181024

and done for a few kilometers , till the next tyre change at least
85 rt resto ...my attempt ...hey im not into making a show bike ... - Page 7 20181025

ready to be off in the next month for fun times with mates

Life time member
Life time member
Looks "sweet as" Charlie. Inspiring work.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum