BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   1990 K100LT rear PRICE shock! Empty 1990 K100LT rear PRICE shock! Mon May 26, 2008 3:26 pm

Helmut118

After 18+ years it's done...rear shock replacement suggestions?
Like a firm ride and have been known to go fast at times ;-)
Wallowing in corners NOT acceptable.

Thank you in advance.

Helmut118

2Back to top Go down   1990 K100LT rear PRICE shock! Empty Re: 1990 K100LT rear PRICE shock! Wed May 28, 2008 4:09 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Helmut,
Most of the people who comment say Ohlins is the best but pricey.
Regards,
K-BIKE

3Back to top Go down   1990 K100LT rear PRICE shock! Empty Re: 1990 K100LT rear PRICE shock! Wed May 28, 2008 5:54 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
The Nivomat of the K100LT has a very good reputation. It's self adjustable dependant of the load on the bike.
I am riding the K75 with an Ohlins shock and the K100 with an original BMW (not Nivomat). I personally don't think the $1000 expense for an Ohlins is justified.

Bert

4Back to top Go down   1990 K100LT rear PRICE shock! Empty Re: 1990 K100LT rear PRICE shock! Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:59 am

Pencilhead

Pencilhead
I replaced my rear shock last season. The old original had degraded so
gradually I didn't think the ride was as bad as it was until I had the
replacement mounted. What a difference. I too had been tossing
around the cost/quality issue and finally decided on the Ikon shock
after talking to a few people. The cost is around $400 (If I remember
correctly), and the ride is great, tire stays planted on those bumpy
curves and great under pillion/gear load. It did take a bit longer to order than I liked through the ONLY dealer in my area.

5Back to top Go down   1990 K100LT rear PRICE shock! Empty Re: 1990 K100LT rear PRICE shock! Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:36 am

Beemerbike

without a doubt go Works Performance shocks. They are at least as good as Ohlins and are made to order. The winter is the best time to get them quickly, but summer will be about 3 month turn a round. A dealer will ask a slew of questions regarding riding style, weight, pillion, etc. to make sure the one they make for you is adequate. We have never had one returned at our shop. good luck

6Back to top Go down   1990 K100LT rear PRICE shock! Empty Re: 1990 K100LT rear PRICE shock! Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:50 am

I just fitted a Works Performance rear shockie to my K100RS and it has transformed the bike! There is no more wallow in the bends and the ride is firm but controlled. A bonus was that I bought it on eBay for about 60% of the current retail price including shipping to Australia, and I was the sole bidder.

7Back to top Go down   1990 K100LT rear PRICE shock! Empty Re: 1990 K100LT rear PRICE shock! Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:22 pm

Bonzo

Bonzo
Life time member
Life time member
I found an interesting article regarding the fitting of a Works Performance Shock to a '91 K100RS

Last edited by Bonzo on Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Speling. (sic))

8Back to top Go down   1990 K100LT rear PRICE shock! Empty Re: 1990 K100LT rear PRICE shock! Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:47 pm

beachcomber

beachcomber
Silver member
Silver member
New to this forum - been around the others for an age. 1990 K100LT rear PRICE shock! Icon_cool

Shox without the price shock - try RAM - Alloy bodied fully adjustable and available for K75/100/1100. Oh yes, and with a 10% discount for any bone -fide BMW club member. Visit www.realmengineering.com. Available full length and 25mm shorter and also competition version with spherical rod ends.

Excellent revues from owners Worldwide. Coming soon from Realm - high performance plug leads at around HALF the price of OEM. 1990 K100LT rear PRICE shock! Icon_wink

9Back to top Go down   1990 K100LT rear PRICE shock! Empty Re: 1990 K100LT rear PRICE shock! Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:18 am

In the interest of suspension balance, I've just fitted a pair of K75 'Sport' stanchions to my 11/86 K100RS. The fork seals were showing a bit of oil dampness, the rubber 'boots' had slight dry cracks in them both, and the fairing's rubber boots had perished, so it was time for a tear down and freshen up. The 'S' forks use less oil at 280cc as compared to 360cc, have smaller springs, less suspension travel with aluminium spacers in the bottom of the sliders, and have a still-compliant but firmer ride. I used 280cc of Castrol 10W fork oil.
Along with the recently fitted Works Performance rear shockie the difference is palpable. The bike steers well and seems to exhibit less of the slight pogo effect caused probably by the previous firmer rear shock and softish stock front end set-up. I've read here and there that the K75S models that came with the upgraded forks had a firmer rear shock as well.
Now I can jam her into corners on familiar back roads at greater speed than normal where she'd always dip and let me know things weren't on. Now it just takes the corners and settles into a stable line as though looking for the next bend. I have achieved better balance, albeit, outdated balance as compared to the new higher tech stuff, but all with stock parts from that period.
Time to rip the scabs of a coupla cold little vicious ones and settle into a nice humid Saturday evening. Coronas and enchiladas con pollo sound good. 1990 K100LT rear PRICE shock! Icon_biggrin

10Back to top Go down   1990 K100LT rear PRICE shock! Empty Re: 1990 K100LT rear PRICE shock! Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:25 am

beachcomber

beachcomber
Silver member
Silver member
TWB,

Yes, I've turned my attentions to the forks now the rear is sorted! I've asked the Realm guys to look at producing progressive front springs - again, no point if the price is not lower / quality as good as currently available items. 1990 K100LT rear PRICE shock! Icon_rolleyes

I'm also looking at the rake / trail of the front end. I had an interesting discussion going with the Mason, until he was taken off the Internet by his superiors 1990 K100LT rear PRICE shock! Icon_twisted .

It's relatively easy to achieve, and I might play around with one of my projects before it gets stripped down for final powder coat, paint, etc.

I've already increased the rake / trail on the Traditional Trike I'm developing - not hugely, just 3 degrees. Reducing by up to that amount [ maybe 1.5 degrees] is again relatively simple. 1990 K100LT rear PRICE shock! Icon_cool

11Back to top Go down   1990 K100LT rear PRICE shock! Empty Re: 1990 K100LT rear PRICE shock! Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:41 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
The Realm guys are certainly helping with more realistic pricing the Ohlins whilst good are priced as if they are made of Unobtanium and filled with Mouse Milk as a damping fluid.
Regards,
K-BIKE

12Back to top Go down   1990 K100LT rear PRICE shock! Empty Re: 1990 K100LT rear PRICE shock! Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:07 am

beachcomber

beachcomber
Silver member
Silver member
K-Bike,

yes Ohlins ARE expensive, but it has to be said that umpteen MotoGP / Superbike teams can't be that wrong! However, that's not the point - us mere mortals without a GP budget would be struggling to afford / justify a cost of nearly £800 for a shocker, when - let's face it - none of us are going to push it to the limits of a Rossi, Haslam, etc. 1990 K100LT rear PRICE shock! Icon_wink

The idea behind the RAM shock was a good quality, lightweight shock at a REASONABLE price. I am happy that we achieved that. 1990 K100LT rear PRICE shock! Icon_cool

A couple of years ago I had a brief flirtation with A Guzzi Centauro and an 1100 Sport Injection. Both had White Power suspension. However, I am riding the same roads faster now with my RAM shod K100RS - so spending megga buck on parts isn't always the answer. AND I have yet to sort out the front suspension! 1990 K100LT rear PRICE shock! Icon_lol

I am keen to reduce the rake by 1.5 degrees ['ish] - and I guess I will try that sometime soon.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum