BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Vudis

Silver member
Silver member
The fuel prices here in Lithuania got wild: the 95E petrol , which used to cost 0.70 EUR, now reached unbelievably high price- 1.20 EUR. Having a Brutal Money Waster at a side, there is no other sollution than illegal fuel, which comes from Belarus. The fuel is ok, but it is 92E and costs 0.60 EUR. That's a reasonable price to pay. But... the fuel is 92E, not 95E. Is it ok if I ride my 1985 (post vin 25000) on 92E? What I really felt, after filling 92E the bmw motor works perfectly, though there feels some lack of power (a little bit).

Thanks..

BTW:

92E is the same as in:
Australia - Regular unleaded
Germany - Normal

95E is the same as in:
Australia - Premium
Germany - Super
UK - Regular

PS Is it allowed to use 98E on bmw k100 early models, like mine of 1985?

98E is the same as in:
Australia - 98 RON
Germany - Superplus
UK - Super unleaded

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Vudis,
It's surprising to compare Canadian gas (and maybe US) to what is sold in the rest of the world. I am running my 1985 K100rt with Canadian "premium" which is even not as good as the cheap gas coming from Belarus. If the Belarus gas doesn't contain any impurities, you are safe to use it. My bike is running well and I don't think the European models exported in North America have any modification on the engine's compression.
FYI, Our Regular cost us $1.05 which converts to .795 Euros. The "Premium" is $1.15 or .863 Euros.

Fuel saving vs Crazy fuel prices vs Illegal fuel Gas10

Fuel saving vs Crazy fuel prices vs Illegal fuel Frog15Fuel saving vs Crazy fuel prices vs Illegal fuel Logo2101986 k75, 1985 K100rt, 1985 K100rt/EML GT2 sidecar, 1999 K1200lt/Hannigan Astro Sport sidecar.

jwab

jwab
Bloody hell your regular is 87 Octane?!!!! Literally how the hell does it combust? Smile No wonder your fuel so cheap, it's goats piss.

UK regular is 95, Super is 97, but Tesco Super is 99! Smile We also have BP's Ultimate at 102 octane but thats only available in certain BP garages which reside in London.

We also have Bioethenol E85 here, now I know you can't put that straight in the tank but it costs about 113p and you can mix it with normal petrol by 5% volume without worry, so the best bet is to put in 19L of regular and 1L of ethanol and you get 99 octain for about 118p which is the cheapest high octane fuel you can get here.

I'm sure the bikes will run on low octane fuel, but the question is why would you? The difference is quite remarkable, and you get better MPG as the combustion is much more complete and on time.

The interesting news is that there is illegal fuel, those eastern block contries are still lawless enough for fuel smugglers to operate. I would question why your fuel has risen so much, is it lack of supply or tax? If it's supply I would imagine you should blame the USA, like Turkey sells all their oil to the Americans and they then sell it back to them. If it's tax then just hope the tax revenue is going in to state services and not someones pockets.

It would be interesting to hear about fuel prices around the world.

Last edited by jwab on Wed May 05, 2010 4:55 am; edited 1 time in total

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
jwab wrote:Bloody hell your regular is 87 Octane?!!!! Literally how the hell does it combust? Smile No wonder your fuel so cheap, it's goats piss.

This is why here in North America, you cannot get under 7 liter/100km with a K100.
I was wondering why people in Europe, OZ and NZ were getting such a great gas mileage. Now I have the answer.
Should I start to import gas from Belarus?
It will be cheaper and better.

Don't forget, America is GREAT! Embarassed Yeah right!

Fuel saving vs Crazy fuel prices vs Illegal fuel Frog15Fuel saving vs Crazy fuel prices vs Illegal fuel Logo2101986 k75, 1985 K100rt, 1985 K100rt/EML GT2 sidecar, 1999 K1200lt/Hannigan Astro Sport sidecar.

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
These bikes were originally designed to run on 98 so that is what I use plus a lead substitute which in itself is supposed to be an octane booster.
As for Australian 92 octane I run that in the company cars with no problems but my Briggs and Stratton lawn mower does not like it and it is supposed to be able to run on 87! so it gets the 98 as well and the difference is noticeable.

Essentially if it is not pinging it should be ok just a reduction in power but even here we avoid the cheap fuel as it either has too much ethanol or water! in it.

Vudis

Silver member
Silver member
Nice discussion revealed Smile In Lithuania, there are a few bikers with Urals, who adopted LPG on their motorcycles. My car runs on LPG too. LPG is very cheap, about 0.40 EUR and it's very environmentally friendly.

The question is still here - is it okay to run the BM on 92E according to RON (MON-82, AKI 90)????

Last edited by Vudis on Wed May 05, 2010 2:38 am; edited 1 time in total

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
I'm not a prude...but there is no real need for this rubbish to appear on this forum.

Last edited by blakey on Wed May 05, 2010 5:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

Vudis

Silver member
Silver member
Yeah, sorry.

I'll edit it Very Happy

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Vudis.

I would have no hesitation running my 1986 RS on regular unleaded.

But I choose to use the premium unleaded (98RON)...probably because I'm a sucker for fancy advertising when they say it makes the bike run better and cleaner etc.

I would not go near anything with ethanol in it.

Last edited by blakey on Wed May 05, 2010 6:00 am; edited 1 time in total

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Good that you did edit otherwise CF or I will step in. At all times we need to keep things at a standard where if our wives or children were reading over our shoulders they will not be offended by whatever they read here, anything else is not acceptable.
Regards,
K-BIKE

Vudis

Silver member
Silver member
Sorry, that won't repeat again... Just wanted to say that all the f*** bad things come to LT from "democratic" European Union, including "madly high" fuel prices...

Concerning the fuel - I guess that 98E is far much better than 92E, but every engine, according to its construction, has its limits. According to BMW manual it is recommended to use minimum 91 unleaded.

there have been a huge discussion on one forum that someone used Shell V-Power Ultimate, which rates as 102 at RON, and he had huge problems with his engine's valves - the edges burnt.

But that might be not because of the fuel Sad

We have a lot of petrol stations that have E85, or the so called Ethanol. Of course it is much cheaper, but there was also a discussion, that not all engines accept it. So, I'd rather not risk...

Here is something to consider when we are talking about the difference
in the 'performance' of petrol (or gasoline) from different octane ratings.
North Americans use a different method to calculate their octane, therefore
their number will always appear lower on the petrol bowser (gas pump) than
most other regions of the world.

In most countries (including all of Europe and Australia) the 'headline'
octane rating shown on the pump is the RON, but in the United States,
Canada and some other countries the headline number is the average of
the RON and the MON, sometimes called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI), Road
Octane Number (RdON), Pump Octane Number (PON), or (R+M)/2. The octane
shown in the United States is 4 to 5 points lower than the same fuel elsewhere:
87 octane fuel, the regular gasoline in the US and Canada, is about 91-92 in Europe.
However most European pumps deliver 95 (RON) as regular, equivalent to
90-91 US (R+M)/2, and some even deliver 98 (RON) or 100 (RON).

My '87 K100RS regularly achieves 5 to 6L/per 100kms travelled, using
98 octane 'premium' petrol, whether giving it some stick or cruising moderately,
and it doesn't seem to make much difference in the way it runs or returns a good mileage
figure if I can't get premium and instead burn 95 octane petrol out beyond the black stump,
where premium is often not available.

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Two Wheels Better wrote:North Americans use a different method to calculate their octane, therefore
their number will always appear lower on the petrol bowser (gas pump) than most other regions of the world.

Thanks for this explanation. when you don't know about this, the numbers are very deceiving.
I have 2 friends owning a 1985 K100rt and we all get the same gas consumption. The 7 liters light start to glow at 210/220kms.
We usually refill with the exact same amount of fuel (+- 1/2 liter). This is when riding around 100km/h.
We call our beasts "the pigs".
With my 1986 K75, I can average 5l.
The gas consumption of the 85 may have something to do with the different cam shafts installed on the early K100.

Bert

Vudis

Silver member
Silver member
Crazy frog, how d'ya know about 7L lamp going on at 210/220 kms? :O

I have the same thing. BUT....

Every year, in summer we have A bike tour round Lithuania. A year ago, I was driving with my bmk100rt as a support to Zuendapp. Our max speed was 70 km/h, so the 7L lamp went on when we had gone 290 kms. But this was a tough journey - 290 km drivind at 70 km/h Very Happy

But yeah, normally, my 7L lamp goes on at 210/220 kms Very Happy

My bike uses the 2:81 (31/11) rear end ratio. Perhaps the more relaxed rpm at speed is contributing to the better-than-average mileage too. I see that a lot of RT's and others use a 2:91 or even 3:0 final drive so they'd be threshing away underneath you in a bit busier manner. That'd make them more inclined to, as it's said Down Under, 'chew the juice'.

Finally_A_K

Finally_A_K
Silver member
Silver member
OK...I need a 31/11 rear end then.
Any body hoarding one?

A nice slighter shorter rear shock would be good too, but that is a different thread I guess.

Rick

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
I just replied to a private mail to Japentes inquiring about the price of a new shock in Montreal.
Moto International is selling the progressive shock for $370.
They may have a shorter one and you will have to inquire with them.

Bert

Finally_A_K

Finally_A_K
Silver member
Silver member
Moto Internationale....bunch of friggen robbers!
Thanks Bert!

Rick

Vudis

Silver member
Silver member
The test was made:

500 km on 92E
500 km on 98E

Definately, 98E is much better. The bike seems to be newly born. Will use 98E. How about Statoil Ultimate Power, the 102E? Very Happy:D:D

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Have a look, there's a guy promoting REALM shocks, which seem good value, developed as aftermarket shocks specifically for 'K's. Guys name is beachcomber, he offers a 10% discount. Comes well recommended on various forums!

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland Fuel saving vs Crazy fuel prices vs Illegal fuel Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
And this one too!

Bloody self-promoters, always pushing new and innovative ideas on us, cramming real world advice and actual fact down our collective throats. Man, do we have to listen yet again to someone who's actually been there and tried that for himself? Who do they think they are!? We should ban 'em all and go back to the good old days of sussing it our for ourselves like the real independent bikers we are, no need for help from friendly neighbours. Yeah! Fuel saving vs Crazy fuel prices vs Illegal fuel Icon_wink

ALEX PITON

ALEX PITON
Silver member
Silver member
hi all, i just had a look at what i payed here in oz last thursdad to fill my tank and it was 1.35 Aud, wich accordind to the converter is 0.96 Euro for 98ron, i have never checked my km/L so on the week end i am travelling 168 odd km and i have a full tank so ill let u know how i go

Ned

Ned
Life time member
Life time member
Vudis wrote:Crazy frog, how d'ya know about 7L lamp going on at 210/220 kms? :O

.... I was driving with my bmk100rt as a support to Zuendapp. Our max speed was 70 km/h, so the 7L lamp went on when we had gone 290 kms. But this was a tough journey - 290 km drivind at 70 km/h Very Happy

But yeah, normally, my 7L lamp goes on at 210/220 kms Very Happy
I put on about 230km before the light goes on. This is on my daily rides to work and back.
On Sunday I usually do 120 - 300 km to get a few beers Smile and usually get about 250 km or so between fills Smile

05/1986 (K55) K100RS Motorsport (Europe), Production Code: 0503, 110k km, VIN:0140519 (SOLD)
1976 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (naked)
1997 BMW K1200RS red, VIN: WB10544A1VZA22667

ALEX PITON

ALEX PITON
Silver member
Silver member
hi guys done 259 km before my light came on, done 259km and the tank took 15.86L to fill back to the brim so,, i belive that gives me 6.12L per 100km,, theory 15.86L / 259 km X 100 = L per 100km..
which i think might be a bit thirsty, but the bike had me a pillion and full panners and a tank bag,.prob about 200kg of weight. on 98ron fuel.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum