BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Just got bike and its not starting Empty Just got bike and its not starting Tue May 11, 2010 5:03 pm

jmarcus

Hi,
I'm posting for my friend who isn't online right now. In fact he is with his bike trying to get it registered and started. He just got a 1990 K100RT delivered. It seems that there is fuel, and electric. It turns over but won't start. The big was shipped in a tractor trailer, but without a manual. Is there a kill switch or a fuel valve he might have missed?

My friend is near White Plains, if there are any willing people who are local please send me your number.

Thanks,
James

reg_K100RS

Silver member
Silver member
Hi dunno if its any use but the other day I was tinkering and when I put the tank back on
I forgot to reattach the 4 way plug under the rear RH of the tank ( again!!!)
It cranked over like a good 'un but wouldnt start
perhap your pals is loose or someone did what I often do?

BTW f the kill swtch was in the off pos, you'd get nothing
done that too

jmarcus

Is the Kill switch or the shutoff valve hard to find? Anyone have a picture?

Thanks,
James

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Kill switch is the little green lever fitted underneath the red start button. It should be in the centre position.
If you download the electronic k1100 manual it will tell you a lot about the bike, although for a slightly different model.
Have a look at the download page on this site. Lot's of good info and fault finding directions.

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland Just got bike and its not starting Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

jmarcus

Thanks guys he did check the kill switch, but wasn't sure about the plug under the seat. No joy for him today but I sent him the link to this forum, so he should be getting in touch soon.

Thanks for the help,
James

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
Hi James,

I seem to remember something from K-Bike about a side stand switch on that model in that it would crank but not start?

7Back to top Go down   Just got bike and its not starting Empty Re: Just got bike and its not starting Wed May 12, 2010 11:08 am

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Can you hear the fuel pump operating in the tank? A whirring sound is what you want to hear. There is a round multiplug on the left side of the tank near the fuel hoses. Even if its plugged in, the connection may be funky (ask me how I know). So clean the contacts and plug in tight and see if you get the whir.

8Back to top Go down   Just got bike and its not starting Empty Re: Just got bike and its not starting Wed May 12, 2010 12:38 pm

jmarcus

Thanks guys I'll update Aaron

aarond

aarond
Hey everybody, this is Aaron, the guy with the bike that won't start. Thank you so much for all the great replies. I haven't had a chance to check anything out yet as the bike is dead in the parking garage of my former employer (long story). Anyway, a couple of questions:

The side stand WAS down when I tried to start it, but it was in neutral and I had the clutch in, shouldn't that cancel the side stand cutoff? Also, if the side stand were the issue, would this kill the fuel pump too? I did not hear any whirring.

When I get back up there on Friday, I'll check all the connections mentioned in the posts. Thanks again everybody, I'll let you know how it turns out.

10Back to top Go down   Just got bike and its not starting Empty Re: Just got bike and its not starting Thu May 13, 2010 8:18 am

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
So it sounds like the fuel pump is the issue. My understanding of the sidestand switch is that the starter should not crank over at all if the switch is active, so that may not be your problem. The main problem these bikes exhibit is electrical connections, so go over that first...

11Back to top Go down   Just got bike and its not starting Empty Re: Just got bike and its not starting Fri May 14, 2010 4:31 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Not true,
My K100 RS 16 Valve will crank till the battery goes flat if the stand is down. BTDT
Regards,
K-BIKE

12Back to top Go down   Just got bike and its not starting Empty Re: Just got bike and its not starting Fri May 14, 2010 12:28 pm

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Roger that K-Bike. Also true for the earlier ones???

13Back to top Go down   Just got bike and its not starting Empty Re: Just got bike and its not starting Fri May 14, 2010 4:08 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Now you mention it the early ones may not have had a switch at all on the side stand, I just had a look through the circuit diagram for early bikes and cannot see one. That being the case it is something else, he needs to check that volts are getting to the fuel pump and is it running if it is not then that's a deal breaker for getting the engine running. As Stu Ritter the Mercedes E- class Guru says "diagnose-diagnose" it's the best way of nailing problems, the worst is to follow the bad mechanics at some garages process of throwing parts at it till the problem gets better.
Regards,
K-BIKE

14Back to top Go down   Just got bike and its not starting Empty Re: Just got bike and its not starting Fri May 14, 2010 4:18 pm

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Yes that is even more so when you don't have shelves of parts to pull from and just swap out, Crazy Frog is the exception with his cache of used parts just waiting to be used, though I know he is a heavy diagonser too.

15Back to top Go down   Just got bike and its not starting Empty Re: Just got bike and its not starting Fri May 14, 2010 9:40 pm

aarond

aarond
Well, I will put all the speculation to rest. It was indeed the side stand. I always thought that if it was in neutral this wouldn't happen. I was wrong.

I put it up on the center stand. Charged up the battery and as soon as I put the kill switch in run position I could hear that beautiful whirring of the fuel pump. The bike started right up after that and runs like a dream.

Thanks so much everyone for all your helpful insight. I'm sure you'll be hearing more from me...

-aaron

16Back to top Go down   Just got bike and its not starting Empty Re: Just got bike and its not starting Fri May 14, 2010 9:56 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Is that great?
A lot of people tried to help you and put you on the right track.
We don't always have the same success, but it's always nice to know that when you are beating your head on the wall, other riders are scratching their own to try to find a solution.

We hate to loose a member due to a fractured skull Sad

You will have your turn to help somebody else.

Cheers

Bert

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum