BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

FatRakoon

FatRakoon
Ok, I have just made a bit of a cock up...

yesterday, I filled up a gallon container with petrol. Today, I poured that petrol into my K100RS Tank.
Just as I was finishing off, my son had a moan at me, because he had put his 2-stroke mixture into the container as he was going to use it for his gokart.

So, the petrol in the tank has NOT been through the carbs... well, the injection system yet, and I can take it off and empty it out blah blah and have done with it, but, will it do any harm?

There is very little fuel in the tank right now, maybe just over that one gallon, and the garage is about 1 mile away, and so, by the time I get there, it will certainly have started to go through, but, I am just as happy to go and get petrol in the container... I have 3 containers actually and so I could get 3 more gallons and pretty much fill up the tank to sort of water it down quite a bit, so it will be very little 2-stroke in there at all.

But again will it do any harm?

In all truth and honesty, in my old Guzzi, I would put all kinds of shit into that and I never gave it a moments thought cos I was a cheap git, plus a bit of an idiot, but thse days, with kids and a mortgage and this BMW having injection instead of carbs, plus an engine that is quite honestly above my skill-set to sort out if \nything goes wrong etc etc etc.

Im just very paranoid, so I have to ask before I start her up.

It is going to cause issues, or am I just going to have a bit of a rich mixture for a bit and it will be tickety-boo by the next fill-up?

Thanks all.

Avenger GT

Avenger GT
Life time member
Life time member
Don't worry about it, it won't do any harm.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
It'll blow a touch of smoke but all will be OK

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
It might foul the spark plugs a bit. I recommend riding really hard and fast. Twisted Evil

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

FatRakoon

FatRakoon
Thanks guys, I was, as I said being a bit too paranoid.

As for riding hard, Its a trike and the gearing is way off and so it revs a little high anyway, so thats not a problem.

I think the amount iof actual 2-stroke in it, is simply such a tiny amount once I have filled up the tank, that it wont be much at all...

The small bottle of 2-stroke is the right amount to add to a gallon to make 25-1. I had probably half a gallon in the tank, and I have just filled it up right to the top, so its probably got an equivalent of about 150-1 ( Im not good at math by the way ) and so sure, Im not even sure that the plugs would gunk up much at all to be honest.

In saying that... I will be servicing it very soon anyway... I have filters ( Fuel, Oil and Air ) and new plugs etc ready to play toys, so even if they do get a bit dirty, it should not matter too much.

Thanks a lot guys.

PS I have just had a thought abotu additives but I will post a new one.

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Shame he didn't put Castrol-R in there - it would have smelled lovely! Twisted Evil

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

kennybob

kennybob
Silver member
Silver member
Be careful when revving it up to the powerband that you don't wheelie and flip back--you know how those 2-strokes are when they come on the pipe.

indian036

indian036
Life time member
Life time member
I thought a powerband was an accessory you buy for your bike - or so I was assured by numerous schoolboys over the years.

BTW, does anyone know of a source for a powerband for a K, and have any instructions for installation?

Bill

1984 K100RT  VIN 0023022  Work needing lots of progress

1986 K100RT  VIN 0090542  Work needing lots and lots of progress
1993 K1100LT  VIN 0183046  Work in progress
1993 K75S  VIN 0213045  Tom the Triple (now on Historic rego too.)

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
I've seen Powerbands on fleabay Bill.... Not sure how you fit them tho. Maybe take it to a dealer. 2 Stroke petrol accidentally put into tank? 8157
2 Stroke petrol accidentally put into tank? Powerbands

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 2 Stroke petrol accidentally put into tank? Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
"Shame he didn't put Castrol-R in there - it would have smelled lovely! 2 Stroke petrol accidentally put into tank? Icon_twisted"

+1

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
One thing I did forget to say is that you will probably get a slight ring dind ding from the exhaust for a while Laughing

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Just pretend you left it on the site stand...!

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 48,061 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 61,190 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

FatRakoon

FatRakoon
Powerbands? LOL
I was under the samew impression... The B/S I would get years ago from other kids on our estate about how they have had powerbands fitted at such and such a revs... I fell for it too, and the thing is, that these idiots were so sure of themselves, that I think they genuinely fell for it too!

Anyway...

I ran it into town and back and whatever mixture thats in the tank, is going through by now, and its not made any noticeable difference at all, so... I have added a dab of RedEx into the mix, andwe shall see how that fares.

I have always been one of those idiots who loves to plonk junk into the fuel such as RedEx and while I feel better for it, there is a very high chance that its doing bugger all to the Machine, however, in saying that, on my Guzzi California, I used it every 5000 miles without fail and since using that, the fuel consumption was better, the engine was smoother and more respopnsive and so sure, that could have just been pure luck, or even placebo, but it did feel that way.

This engine is ever so slightly out of sync, and it might actually benefit fro ma cleqan up when I do give it a service.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum