BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Hunting Down an Electrical Gremlin Empty Hunting Down an Electrical Gremlin Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:54 pm

TurboBrick

TurboBrick
Here's the issue I have.. When I turn the key to the first position I get nothing. Second turn illuminates the cluster and my abs light comes on as it should. I put the bike in neutral, hold the clutch, push the button, anddddd crickets. Nothing. Here's what I believe the problem is. The neutral light never comes on in the cluster. I know that light has to come on to complete the circuit and tell the computer to let the bike start. But also things like the oil light, choke light, fuel level sensor doesn't come on. So here's some more information to help me diagnose. 

• Clutch switch, kill switches, anything that can stop a k bike from starting has been checked and bypassed to attempt starting
  • Bike has been dropped. Actually backed into while in a garage and fell over. (why its a project bike)
  • Bike turns over fine when you jump the solenoid
  • new battery
  • gear selection switch was taken apart and "rebuilt" by me. (still consider it a culprit though, not my best work)

Here's what I think, and my bike mechanic disagrees on. I think the problem is within the cluster. I believe the fall broke an essential ground in the cluster causing half of it to not work. My mechanic is at his whits end and doesn't know what it could be. So what are my options? Can i tear the cluster open and search for the break? Can I get a super cheap cluster that will work properly for my bike and see if that fixes it? Or am I completely off and shouldn't waste my time with that fix? 
My bike by the way is 1991 Bmw K100rs with a RB "Luftmeister" competion turbo kit on it. The bike has 12,xxx miles.

YOU GUYS ARE THE GENIUSES HERE! HELP ME GET MY DREAM BIKE GOING!
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by TurboBrick on Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar/spelling)

2Back to top Go down   Hunting Down an Electrical Gremlin Empty Re: Hunting Down an Electrical Gremlin Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:27 am

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Have you tried pulling in the clutch and trying to start it?

That will start a K bike that has the cluster removed.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

3Back to top Go down   Hunting Down an Electrical Gremlin Empty Re: Hunting Down an Electrical Gremlin Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:32 am

TurboBrick

TurboBrick
Yes I have tried that. I didn't know a k bike could start without the cluster. Are you sure a 91' isn't different. I know they changed quite a bit that year. From the looks of the schematic it won't start without it.

4Back to top Go down   Hunting Down an Electrical Gremlin Empty Re: Hunting Down an Electrical Gremlin Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:46 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
In that aspect they are the same, Pull the clutch lever in and that overrides the no start unless in neutral feature.
The cluster is quite easy to get apart to check the bulbs are working and replace them also check for corrosion on the connector pins inside and the pins at the main connector.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Either the N electronics in the cluster or the clutch switch feed 12V+ to the start button. When you press that it sends 12V to the starter relay via the black/yellow wire that goes to the starter relay to activate it.

If that isn't happening then I'd suspect the ignition switch might be the culprit.  Or maybe a ground come loose. Or that funky starter grounding thing.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Check fuse #1 it supply the clutch switch and all that doesn't function in your
cluster, and the your brake light shouldn't function either.

7Back to top Go down   Hunting Down an Electrical Gremlin Empty Re: Hunting Down an Electrical Gremlin Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:19 am

TurboBrick

TurboBrick
It's not the fuse. I've bypassed both the clutch switch and the starter button. I will check the cluster though for a bad light or two. Also why isn't the first turn of the key doing anything? What specific grounds can I be checking? The only ones I really know of are the 3 under the tank.

8Back to top Go down   Hunting Down an Electrical Gremlin Empty Re: Hunting Down an Electrical Gremlin Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:34 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
TurboBrick wrote: It's not the fuse. I've bypassed both the clutch switch and the starter button.

Did you check if it was 12V+ present in the clutch switch connector?

Does Your brake light function?

TurboBrick wrote: Also why isn't the first turn of the key doing anything?

It is park position, you should then have power to the small pilot lamp above the headlight and and to the taillight.

TurboBrick

TurboBrick
Inge K. wrote:
TurboBrick wrote: It's not the fuse. I've bypassed both the clutch switch and the starter button.

Did you check if it was 12V+ present in the clutch switch connector?

Does Your brake light function?

TurboBrick wrote: Also why isn't the first turn of the key doing anything?

It is park position, you should then have power to the small pilot lamp above the headlight and and to the taillight.

I will check for 12v at the clutch switch. The brake lights and headlights function fine

10Back to top Go down   Hunting Down an Electrical Gremlin Empty Re: Hunting Down an Electrical Gremlin Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:48 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
When you push the start button does the headlight go off?  If not, I would suspect the ignition switch may be dirty.  I had a similar problem with my K75 a couple years ago and it turned out to be the ignition switch.  Seems the design doesn't allow for a lot of pressure on the contacts to overcome any dirt that may be in there.

Even if it isn't the problem, in bikes as old as our K's it isn't a bad idea to sevice that switch. 

http://www.eilenberger.net/K75S/IgnitionSwitch/

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

11Back to top Go down   Hunting Down an Electrical Gremlin Empty Re: Hunting Down an Electrical Gremlin Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:54 pm

TurboBrick

TurboBrick
No the headlight doesn't go off. I will try that.

12Back to top Go down   Hunting Down an Electrical Gremlin Empty Re: Hunting Down an Electrical Gremlin Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:04 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
The headlight doesn't go out as a result of that you got no power out of the starter relay, that is what breaks the LSR coil ground connection.

13Back to top Go down   Hunting Down an Electrical Gremlin Empty Re: Hunting Down an Electrical Gremlin Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:52 pm

TurboBrick

TurboBrick
Ok. Sounds right to me. I'll see if I can fix that tomorrow. 👌🏽

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum