BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Dielectric grease Empty Dielectric grease Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:52 pm

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Dielectric grease Icon_cool

Has any one used Dielectric grease, I have been cleaning the electrics on the old girl and after cleaning I would like to coat them and waterproof them, Vaseline is good but surely would be affected by engine heat so I was told about Dielectric grease or silicone grease as some call it, any good.

BIG D

2Back to top Go down   Dielectric grease Empty Re: Dielectric grease Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:52 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
There has been a significant amount of discussion on this subject in the past which I am sure you will find reading the old posts (a well worthwhile activity there is some really useful info there). My personal view is dielectric grease which is actually silicone grease should never be allowed within a metre of any bike except in the spark plug caps to stop the rubber sticking to the ceramic of new plugs.

The ideal material for treating electrical contacts are materials which promote conduction not insulate which silicone grease does. Treat them with DeoxIT and then if exposed to the weather treat with DeoxIT Shield from Caig Laboratories.

I know many people do use silicone grease (dielectric grease) on their bike contacts but I spent enough time working on the physics of low current contacts at Imperial College many years ago to know that silicone compounds are bad news on electrical contacts. But you pays your money and you takes your choices as they say.
Regards,
K-BIKE

3Back to top Go down   Dielectric grease Empty Re: Dielectric grease Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:11 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
+1

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

4Back to top Go down   Dielectric grease Empty Re: Dielectric grease Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:49 am

Ned

Ned
Life time member
Life time member
Some water repellent dielectrics are better than none. Water will cause corrosion, and in time, high resistance joints that can cause you lots of random and hard to diagnose problems.

Pay attention to earth connectors especially. Also connectors which are exposed... especially ones that are located close to the road level and exposed to water spray generated by tyres.

Any organic will do provided it does not conduct current... you can test that, but unlike silicone based materials, they have a low melting point so not suitable for locations exposed to high heat, as you know.

Im my case, every time I disconnect anything, I fill the socket with dielectric grease before reconnecting, just in case. It is a bit of an overkill in sydney as we don't have snow, salt or even long rain periods, but it does assist with water ingress resistance.

05/1986 (K55) K100RS Motorsport (Europe), Production Code: 0503, 110k km, VIN:0140519 (SOLD)
1976 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (naked)
1997 BMW K1200RS red, VIN: WB10544A1VZA22667

5Back to top Go down   Dielectric grease Empty Re: Dielectric grease Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:25 am

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Dielectric grease Icon_cool

Thanks,

The info as usual is first class I will do my home work and make sure the job is done properly.

BIG D

6Back to top Go down   Dielectric grease Empty Re: Dielectric grease Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:41 am

Rickmeister

Rickmeister
Life time member
Life time member
Is this "DeoxIT" stuff available in AUS?

7Back to top Go down   Dielectric grease Empty Re: Dielectric grease Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:46 am

Ned

Ned
Life time member
Life time member
Ulrich_Grabau wrote:Is this "DeoxIT" stuff available in AUS?
I think so. I believe that Jaycar people have it. I am sure that Blakey knows.

05/1986 (K55) K100RS Motorsport (Europe), Production Code: 0503, 110k km, VIN:0140519 (SOLD)
1976 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (naked)
1997 BMW K1200RS red, VIN: WB10544A1VZA22667

8Back to top Go down   Dielectric grease Empty Re: Dielectric grease Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:40 pm

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Jaycar (2/175 High Street, Maitland) should have it.

There is a kit that costs around $25 and you get a couple of small bottles and some applicators, swab, cloth etc and you can also buy the stuff in small aerosol cans.

The red liquid (Power Booster) is used for cleaning and sealing connectors. The gold liquid (Pro Gold) is used on good clean/new plated connectors...such as gold plated connectors. The red stuff has more of a "cleaning agent" in it than the gold stuff. DeoxIT actually improves electrical conductivity.

Like K-BIKE said, there is a product called Shield to use on connectors exposed to the weather.

I fixed my indicator cancel button (wasn't making a good contact) without pulling the switch to bits and my old stereo had a dicky volume control that was fixed with a squirt of the red stuff.

It's worth the money.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

9Back to top Go down   Dielectric grease Empty Re: Dielectric grease Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:49 pm

tunza60

tunza60
Yes i used the Deoxit kit, pulled every connection i could find and cleaned and sprayed, had to get another kit. but fingers crossed..no electrical gremlins yet. Jaycar have it.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum