BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Hello from Woodville New Zealand Empty Hello from Woodville New Zealand Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:09 pm

robinm

robinm
Silver member
Silver member
After posting here a number of times, I realized that I have not got around to this, so here we go. Names Robin and I hail from Woodville New Zealand. I am coming up 50 and have been riding since the tender age of about 13. Started with old British junk, James captains, francis barnet cruisers, bsa bantams, triumph tigeress's etc, back when they were worth nothing and any Japanese was fairly new and out of my reach. Soon progressed onto Japanese bikes, with a Kawasaki 90SSS, then a near new Suzuki MX90. had various bike ( read many) over the years, TS Suzuki's GT Suzuki's (380's and 750,s.) Progressed thru to a GL1000 in about 1979.
Had a flirtation with road racing in the early 80's, on a Suzuki TR500 a Yamaha TZ250 and a Kawasaki H2B 750, fun days.
Had a brief break from bikes in the late 80's, marriage and mortgage etc, but within a few years got the bug again and bought a GS850.
I then found my dream bike. a Honda CX500 Turbo, loved that one, wish I still had it.
Sold the Turbo in the early 90's and a while later I picked up my first K series, a '84 K100RT, that had had the farings removed and converted to a naked.
This one lasted till the kids started arriving, forcing another break from road bikes, had a couple of trailies but no road bikes for a few years.
In 2005, I got a job in a local Motorcycle dealer and started playing around with road bikes again, buying a Yamaha XS850, then a Suzuki GSX750SE Katana, then a procession of GSXR 750's and 1100's. ( Still got a GSXR750 tucked away).
It was in 2008 I stumbled across my current ride, a 1985 K100RS, belonged to the father in law of a work mate.
I bought it and the more I rode it the more I liked it.
Then back in Sept '09 while on the RS, not a mile from my house, I was tee boned by a car, resulting in a written off K and badly broken leg for me.
I did a deal with the insurance co on the K, accepting a lower pay out and retaining the bike. Once my leg healed enough to enable me to walk, I started to look at repairing the K.
I hunted around the country and found 2 wrecks in Auckland that together would provide me with all the parts I required to repair mine, so these were bought with the insurance monies.
The bike was now back on the road. Did a few thousand KM's on it, but was not happy with it mechanically, It had the old rattly rivet noise.
So I decided then to rebuild one of the other motors I had, but before I had completed it, I came across yet another written off K100RS, this one only had done 27000 km's, so rather than finish the engine rebuild I just fitted this motor.
So now I have a mint '85 K100 with a real good low mileage motor. And enough spares to last me 2 life times!!
With all the work I have done on the K since owning it I have learned a heck of a lot about then and now find myself in the position of being able to offer other owners help with their bikes.
I actually enjoy working on them and have procured or made a lot of specialized tools along the way to enable me to do most jobs on them.
That's enough rambling about me.

2Back to top Go down   Hello from Woodville New Zealand Empty Re: Hello from Woodville New Zealand Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:52 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
robinm wrote:had various bike ( read many) over the years, TS Suzuki's GT Suzuki's (380's and 750,s.)Had a flirtation with road racing in the early 80's, on a Suzuki TR500 a Yamaha TZ250 and a Kawasaki H2B 750, fun days.
For that you already got my respect. I owned a GT380 and 2 GT750 (the 380 and one 750 with a sidecar). In the 70's our racing team had (among other bikes) a TZ250 too but only a 500cc Kawasaki. We also had a racing sidecar with a GT750 engine.
robinm wrote: With all the work I have done on the K since owning it I have learned a heck of a lot about then and now find myself in the position of being able to offer other owners help with their bikes.
Nice to see people like you ready to share their knowledge with the less experienced ones!

You are a very valuable contributor of this forum, and I am sure that you earned a life time membership with all the help that you provided to others. cheers cheers cheers
This is too bad that we live so far apart because we could have a nice long conversation in front of a good Ale reminiscing about the good old time.

Cheers

Bert

3Back to top Go down   Hello from Woodville New Zealand Empty Re: Hello from Woodville New Zealand Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:14 am

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
CX500 Turbo eh. I remember when they came out and to this day have only seen one on display at Sandown raceway. Of course I had just a "plain" CX then and thought the turbo was one of the best bikes I had ever seen. If you still had it what a collectors item it would be. Life is so full of what if's.

I expect your experience will be invaluable as are the special tools you have already shared.

4Back to top Go down   Hello from Woodville New Zealand Empty Re: Hello from Woodville New Zealand Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:13 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Good on you mate, what a pedigree of experience!
Regards,
K-BIKE

5Back to top Go down   Hello from Woodville New Zealand Empty K heaven Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:11 am

mawhera

mawhera
Gold member
Gold member
Hi r u still into the Ks, wouldn't mind a ride up to Woody sometime on my, 87K100RT, it may actually be an 85 as its purple colour and fairing match others quoted as 85s. rik

6Back to top Go down   Hello from Woodville New Zealand Empty Re: Hello from Woodville New Zealand Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:27 am

robinm

robinm
Silver member
Silver member
I still have the RS, sits in the shed, basically unridden now for the last couple of years, due to work commitments and the increased costs of registration, motorcycling now has become a rich mans hobby, and I ain't a rich man.
One of the days I will get re motivated and get it into use again.
You would be more that welcome to call in if you are up this way.

7Back to top Go down   Hello from Woodville New Zealand Empty richys sport Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:52 pm

mawhera

mawhera
Gold member
Gold member
Hi Robin, I agree we are robbed for the pleasure of riding in NZ, the cost of tyres is ridiculous too. I ride when I can rego on hols a fair bit. Still get out a bit when I can. did the Burt Munro last year, would be good to get a few Ks down this year, there a re a few there. Its about a $600 project from Pram. Rick

8Back to top Go down   Hello from Woodville New Zealand Empty Re: Hello from Woodville New Zealand Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:19 pm

Life time member
Life time member
Great intro Robin. Welcome along.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

9Back to top Go down   Hello from Woodville New Zealand Empty Re: Hello from Woodville New Zealand Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:49 am

larrikin

larrikin
Life time member
Life time member
My first Suzuki was a T350 Rebel. It went like the clappers on the level or downhill. I have had 2 T750 water bottles, 2 GS750, 2 GS1000G, 1 GSX1100, 1 GS110GKZ, 2 GS110GKE. Then I bought a 84 K100RS and wondered why I spent so much time on Jap Crap Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I now have an 88 K100RS.
I forgot to mention a GSX1100EFF

Anyway velcome to dis Knuthouse. I will not mention who one the League Test last Friday Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

It increases my paranoia
Like lookin' at my mirror and seein' a police car

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum