BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Noisy Forks Empty Noisy Forks Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:40 am

ShedBob

ShedBob
My 1985 K100RT has really noisy front forks.
They clash & bang horribly over bumps especially at low speed. Although it's bad currently they've done it since the bike was new.
When I first got the bike I replaced the fork springs with progressive ones from Motorworks and gradually increased the oil vicosity up to 10 weight. The oil is due a change as the damping has virtually disappeared again. Head bearings are OK & the fairing isn't too wobbly.
I appreciate that these forks may do this as standard but would appreciate anyone's input about calming them down.

ShedBob

2Back to top Go down   Noisy Forks Empty Re: Noisy Forks Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:44 pm

They simply should operate in the up and down way they do without much noise. Is a spacer, such as what sits at either end of the springs, missing or perished beyond usefulness?

Noisy Forks K_fork10

3Back to top Go down   Noisy Forks Empty Re: Noisy Forks Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:59 pm

ShedBob

ShedBob
When I replaced the springs I found that the new ones were much longer but that they were the same length as the old ones plus spacer. I therefore left the spacers out on reassembly. It sounds to me like they top out over sharp bumps exacerbated by the almost total lack of damping.
I'm off to change the fork oil this afternoon & will report back.

4Back to top Go down   Noisy Forks Empty Re: Noisy Forks Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:01 pm

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
From what I have seen of other progressive spring reports there is usually a recommended spacer size suggested by the manufacturer.

How easy were the fork caps to fit? as they normally require significant pressure which both makes it difficult to fit and puts some preload on the spring.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum