BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   spline woes Empty spline woes Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:52 pm

palamino

i have a 87 k100 lt with 136,000 miles.i bought it new and my problem is the driveshaft splines and final drive splines have worn to a sharp point with very little metal at the "point"..i took the parts to bloodworths bmw in nashville and he confirmed what i already knew..the splines will fail,, but as he put it they might go another 10,000 or just 50 miles they are real bad ....my question is,,is there anyone out there that rebuilds splines besides brunos bmw,,he is like 2 months behind at last phone call to him on thursday,and beemer boneyard sells their stuff faster than i can get to it..seems a bit pricey too for used parts..and i dont want to get rid of my trusty beemer this will be the only major repair i have had since new,except for a fuel pump which was my bad i let the filter go and burned it up..found a cheaper replacement for it besides a bmw pump but thats another story for another time.. any help advise or if someone has parts let me know...thx in advance....

2Back to top Go down   spline woes Empty Re: spline woes Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:11 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
I am sorry, but the only one that I know in North America is Bruno.
You may want to try motobin (In England).
Years ago they were selling the splines to redo your shaft. You had to cut the shaft and weld the new one on it.

The site is: http://www.motobin.com/ but it seems to be down today

Bert

3Back to top Go down   spline woes Empty Re: spline woes Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:01 pm

palamino

thx for the info,,is brunos redo worth the money,,the repairs look good on his web site but i havent heard or read any experiences from people who have had this service done,,,600 bucks isnt bad but the wait is what is gettin me...

4Back to top Go down   spline woes Empty Re: spline woes Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:06 am

yankeeone

Platinum member
Platinum member
Hi, last year I had the same problem , what I did was buy a used drive and shaft to run in the bike, and sent mine to Brunos, the work he did for me is very good. one problem you may have ,is with that many miles you may need more than just the splines repaired. but he can do the bearing and seals as well.

Brian

5Back to top Go down   spline woes Empty Re: spline woes Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:00 pm

palamino

yes he mentioned that when i talked to him,,about the bearings..but everytime i change the fluid in the final drive and transmission the oil is almost as clean as the new im puttin in,,i have always run amzoil and changed at 15,000 miles,,i have not ever seen any metal shavings on the drain plugs or flake in the oil,so im hoping that the bearings are ok...and i thought about getting used parts and have my original parts fixed by bruno,,might need a spare one day,,if not for me,,a buddy...

6Back to top Go down   spline woes Empty Re: spline woes Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:16 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
My experience with Bruno's is fantastic. The quality of the work is A+, and the modification for the grease reservoir shoud have been done by BMW.
This may not be a bad idea to buy an old "spare one" when your's is rebuilt at Bruno's
Even if you are changing your oil every 15K, the bearings and seals may be "tired".
When I sent my shaft and differential at Bruno's, he checked the bearings and seals and never replaced them. I appreciated the fact that he didn't try to push a sale on extra stuff.

Bert

7Back to top Go down   spline woes Empty spline woes Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:59 pm

sojelade

http://www.motobins.co.uk/index.php

Hi,

Please find below the correct website for motorbins but it seams as if they can only deal with customers in the uK. You could always try and see if they will ship one to you.

http://www.motobins.co.uk/index.php

You also can try motorworks on http://www.bmwandguzzispares.co.uk/index.php?q= who might be able to find you a second-hand one but the same apply it will have to be shipped to you.

I think that I have learn from most of the website on dedicated to these flyingbricks you need to do the spline lube regularly and the final drive will last the life of the bike.

Soji

8Back to top Go down   spline woes Empty Re: spline woes Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:40 pm

palamino

yes,,the first time i lubed the clutch and driveshaft,final drive splines was at 40,000,,thats after i started hearing horror stories at a couple of rallys,around 1990 or 1991,,about people being stranded with stripped splines,,and at 40,000 they were dry,,i lubed mine with amzoil racing grease and did so every 20,000 or 2 years whichever occurred first,,and they were always still "wet"with grease..but this last time hasnt been that far mileage wise but in time its been almost 4 years and this time the splines were worn real bad and dry..im still riding her some i just dont go far..so my wife can find me with the trailer..lolol..the clutch splines still look like new at 136,000..so why do the shaft splines wear more???u would think the clutch splines would..and thanks for the links..im really wanting to fix this,,i wrench on her myself,shop never touches the palamino...

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum