BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

sjweeks53

Hi Guys, I've tried wiring up my new Oxford heated grips to my bike through the ignition switch but I haven't had much luck, I want to connect them through the ignition as I've left them on a couple of times and ran the battery flat by the next day.

Directly from the battery I get a reading of 12.4v as expected and from the wires coming from the ignition switch that I've traced to under the fuel tank I get a reading of 11.8v with the ignition on & 0v with ignition off. When turning on the grips, the power light comes on and the lowest heat blue LED comes on but blinks on & off and no heat.

Can anyone enlighten me on which wires to use.

kindest regards
Steve

http://www.sjweeks.co.uk

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Steve,
I would not be keen on using any extra load on the contacts/cabling for
the ignition switch they are marginal enough for the load they are
already carrying.

I would drive a relay off the load shed relay and using that new relay to switch a fused 12 volts straight off the battery. That way the load shed relay is controlling the operation of the heated grips and you cannot leave the grips on (as long as you don't leave the ignition switched on), and the heated grip current load is not present when you are trying to start the bike.

Regards,
K-BIKE

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
There is a heated grip connector under the tank. It's a small flat (2 wires) connector. I have a set of after market heated grips on my 2 Ks, and this is where I plugged them. This connection is controlled by the ignition switch. I just installed an extra inline fuse.

wiring up Oxford heated grips to the ignition switch Heated11

wiring up Oxford heated grips to the ignition switch Under-tank-wiring

wiring up Oxford heated grips to the ignition switch Frog15wiring up Oxford heated grips to the ignition switch Logo2101986 k75, 1985 K100rt, 1985 K100rt/EML GT2 sidecar, 1999 K1200lt/Hannigan Astro Sport sidecar.

ricketyclik

ricketyclik
Silver member
Silver member
Crazy Frog wrote:There is a heated grip connector under the tank. It's a small flat (2 wires) connector. I have a set of after market heated grips on my 2 Ks, and this is where I plugged them. This connection is controlled by the ignition switch. I just installed an extra inline fuse.

I've just attempted this with the Oxfords, but ended up connecting to the battery because I thought a plug/socket to fit into the existing socket/plug would be a lot neater.

The thing is, I can't figure out whether I need to buy a plug or socket. If you look at http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=0514&mospid=51754&btnr=32_1965&hg=32&fg=71, the part listed as number 11 would appear to be the right one, but on the bike the original wiring outlet has male contacts, so I'm assuming I need a socket, not a plug.

Crazy Frog, did you wire the Oxfords to a plug/socket, or bypass the plug/socket on the bike? Is the part needed commonly available, or is it a BMW specific part?

(Sorry for my ignorance, I have little experience with electrickery).

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum