BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   removing the oil filter Empty removing the oil filter Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:01 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
I just saw this one on a French forum and have to share it with you.

Sometimes, your oil filter is so tight that even the BMW oil filter wrench will spin on the filter.
I experienced this before and it was a BIG job to remove it. By the way, always put some oil on the oil filter gasket and never tight the filter by more than 1/4 turn

Somebody had a great idea, and it worked where any other solution failed.
Drill 2 (or 4) holes on the wrench, and screw it on the filter. removing the oil filter 112350

Here are some pics:

removing the oil filter Filtre10

removing the oil filter Filtre11

2Back to top Go down   removing the oil filter Empty Re: removing the oil filter Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:07 pm

Ajays has mentioned this as an option he uses in a previous post too. Sometimes just whacking a great big honking screwdriver up into the filter at an angle will take the bugger off! Carefully, though, as you risk buggering the threads. It's a fine line we walk when tightening an oil filter. You don't want it to un-spin, but you don't want to have to wrestle to remove it either. I know of a mate who didn't tighten his enough and it came off while riding down the road. He didn't know it of course until he stopped at a light and heard an unusual mechanical cacophony and the oil pressure light gave him a mini light show! Catastrophic failure.

Thanks for the reminder, Crazy Frog!

3Back to top Go down   removing the oil filter Empty Re: removing the oil filter Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:47 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Ajays solution is a bit different as he punctures the filter to insert the 2 bolts.
The solution that I mentioned uses metal screws to attach the wrench on the filter. The wrench cannot pop out when you try to turn it.

removing the oil filter Fit%20Adpt

4Back to top Go down   removing the oil filter Empty Re: removing the oil filter Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:46 am

There's more than one way to pull a tooth. Both look like effective mechanical advantage to me.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum