BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   New, but a little bit old as well Empty New, but a little bit old as well Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:36 pm

CaperKen

CaperKen
Silver member
Silver member
Hi ... I began snooping in the Forum several months ago. Frankly, I had never really been attracted to K bikes except for the K1. However after browsing for several weeks, I became increasingly convinced that I should seriously consider a K 100. I then 'joined' the Forum about two months ago, but still without a K bike. I have another BMW (S1000RR) and had a R1200C. I asked several questions on the forum about the nature of K bikes and how to evaluate them and received very helpful replies. Thanks, again to all who replied.

Since then I've located and just bought, last week, a 1990 K 100 RS 16 valve (maybe that 16v reference is redundant). It's a one owner bike with 14,750km and appears to be in excellent condition. It is pearl white in colour and has ABS, which might also be a redundant statement ... I'll learn more in time. I bought it from a BMW dealership just north of Toronto, Ontario, Canada. One of the salesmen sold the bike new when he owned a dealership and has known and serviced the bike for the past 20 years. The dealership bought the bike when the original owner passed away about 1 1/2 to 2 years ago. It's been ridden regularly, but not a lot, by the salesmen, who have K bikes, and has been serviced regularly. While not pristine, it should give many years of service from everything I've learned on this forum. Since it's snowy here, I have not yet ridden it and I'm looking forward to that, but probably not for another 2 or 3 months when the roads are clear and the road salt has washed away. It's being stored at the dealership until spring. I guess this has been a purchase based on faith from the reputation of K bikes, comments on this forum, history of the bike and the trustworthy nature of the salesmen. I hope that my faith is supported by reality ... I'm pretty sure that it will be.

I live part of each year near Toronto but most of the year on Cape Breton Island in Nova Scotia just south of the Cape Breton Highlands National Park with terrific twisty roads and incredible scenery from the time I hit the road at the end of my driveway. If anyone from The Forum visits Cape Breton this summer, send a note and we can get together for a ride.

Cheers,
Ken Deal (CaperKen)

BIG FOOT

Hi CaperKen, New, but a little bit old as well 177912

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Hey Caper,
It's nice to have you on board (Hey!)
I sure will come to visit you and give you some help with any issue you have.
You should register to the BMW Owners Of Nova Scotia or the ATS (Atlantic touring society) from Antigonish.
BMWONS members are a great bunch, but ATS members are the funiest. Invite me for a kitchen party and I will ride to CB.

Bert

CaperKen

CaperKen
Silver member
Silver member
Hi Bert,
Thanks for the welcome and good to be legitimately on board with a K. I'll register as you suggested. You'll have to come up some time to catch a Tuesday night at the Kinsmen Hall with the Acadian Musicians of Cheticamp and then the tavern afterwards. Hope to see you.

Cheers
Ken

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

Hi Caperken,

Welcome thats a nice bike.

BIG D

Ajays

Ajays
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Ken, and welcome.

You will only need to ride a K once and your hooked. I have had a few bikes in my day and I like these the best.
It is expensive to have anything done at the dealers and there is everything you need to know here, (see the download section).
This site is run by a fellow Canadian known as crazy frog (Bert) and he is our web master.
You seem to have a good buy there.
Ajays

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi CaperKen,
We have just about identical bikes great to have you on board and we look forward to your thoughts on the K and to hearing about the S1000RR surely the greatest motorcycle of today as was the K 100 in its day.
Regards,
K-BIKE

CaperKen

CaperKen
Silver member
Silver member
Ajay, thanks for sage advice. I've been reading widely through the forum and saving notes. This is certainly a tremendously supportive group.

K-Bike ... I think I saw your bike earlier and, yes, they are about as similar as you can get. Any advice would be appreciated. The S1000RR is truly at the top of the sport bike realm. I first rode it at the California Superbike School 2 day course in Las Vegas last April. It just seemed to disappear under me and let me do all I wanted to do without being intrusive in any way. I bought mine after the course and have never gone so fast and at the same time felt so safe on any bike. Try it if you get the chance. I'll be back at the California Superbike School (Keith Code) again this April for levels 3 and 4. That will probably be before I get to ride my new K for the first time. Of course, I'm looking for two different experiences from the K and the S.

Cheers
Ken

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
GREEN WITH ENVY (yes I am shouting) what a great experience. Would be good to hear you thoughts and advice regarding what you learnt first time around and what you learn this time. Getting advice and feedback from someone who has "been there done that" is beyond price.
Regards,
K-BIKE

10Back to top Go down   New, but a little bit old as well Empty Re: New, but a little bit old as well Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:57 am

CaperKen

CaperKen
Silver member
Silver member
Hi K-Bike. I'm not sure about forum protocol, but since you asked about the California Superbike School (CSB) with Keith Code I'll give my opinion. This is a very highly evolved educational experience that compares with the absolute best courses that I've ever taken, and I've take a lot of courses (PhD +). The 7 daily rounds include about 30 minutes of classroom, 20 minutes on the track and 10 minute debrief. Each coach has two riders on the course. Every minute of this course was planned and executed to provide the utmost learning for motorcycle competence and safety. Each round has a specific objective and students learn the task by the end of the round. I highly recommend it to anyone who rides, whether or not racing is on the future agenda. The track bike is the BMW S1000RR and Code states that their accident rate has been cut by 2/3 since moving to the S last year. I'm not sure if the course is given in Australia or NZ, but if it is make a point of taking the course.

11Back to top Go down   New, but a little bit old as well Empty Re: New, but a little bit old as well Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:17 pm

Welcome, Ken, I think you will find the 16V K is quite a different animal to your S1000RR, but you will see the familiar family trait of high quality and workmanship of your 'new' mighty K after not long in the saddle. They have their own personality and are keepers, as almost any member of this forum can attest.

12Back to top Go down   New, but a little bit old as well Empty Re: New, but a little bit old as well Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:40 pm

CaperKen

CaperKen
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks, Two Wheels. You and other forum members have built up quite an anticipation in me. I can't wait for spring weather to begin getting to know the K. I'm expecting the K and the S to be good brother stable mates, each with their own distinctive personalities and values.

13Back to top Go down   New, but a little bit old as well Empty Re: New, but a little bit old as well Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:19 pm

87m6chris

87m6chris
Silver member
Silver member
CaperKen,
I know that bike well! I don't live far from Open Road BMW, I have visited that bike a few times and once spent a 1/2 hour going over it top to bottom. As far I can tell it is exactly what they say it is, they have kept it downstairs in the heated garage for about the last year and a half. I almost convinced myself to purchase it but reconsidered at the last moment. With a small amount of detailing it could look showroom new.
Congrats.

14Back to top Go down   New, but a little bit old as well Empty Re: New, but a little bit old as well Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:25 pm

CaperKen

CaperKen
Silver member
Silver member
Hi 87m6chris:

Your comment really helps. This is the first used bike I've ever bought. I had very few reservations, but it is an old bike, for me. However, with all the confidence in extensive reliability of Ks shown on this forum and the background on this bike, I felt good about it. Now I feel fully comfortable, thanks to your email.

15Back to top Go down   New, but a little bit old as well Empty Re: New, but a little bit old as well Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:47 pm

kbet

Welcome CaperKen new member myself, but checked out the forum before I got my K bike. This forum convinced me that the K was for me.

16Back to top Go down   New, but a little bit old as well Empty Re: New, but a little bit old as well Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:18 am

barryt

barryt
Silver member
Silver member
Welcome Ken!

I am similar to you in that I decided to get a K-BIKE after riding a super bike for some time (Suzuki GSXR 1000).

I was interested to see you ride the new S1000RR, which as you probably well know, is rapidly becoming (or is probably) the best super bike ever made, only now after many many years finally pipping the GSXR to the post in handling, power, performance etc etc...(but even then, only just ... Wink

Jumping off the S1000RR to a K-BIKE must have taken a bit of adjustment, to say the least! ...Wink

(I know it does for me after riding the GSXR for a few days and then going for a ride on the K).

The bikes are like chalk and cheese, but as you so rightly say, they are for different purposes, have different values etc.

My first feelings when I got onto the K was that she handled like an absolute pig in comparison to the GSXR (you probably have similar feelings no doubt), and I know one should not compare, but you can't help it.

Also lots down on power (180HP on the Suzuki verses 90 on the K), almost half.

A totally different ball-game.

I will be honest and say that although I always wanted to get a K for years, after I first got it, I was seriously questioning whether I had made the right decision!

So heavy in comparison, handles like a pig, much less power, poor brakes compared etc....

But listen to this Ken, if you have similar feelings toward your K.

The K will definately grow on you, and there will suddenly come a day (like happened to me a week or two ago) when you are riding her, and you are much more used to her, and you will think : "Damn this is a nice bike INDEED!".

It will put a grin on your face for sure... Wink

I know now that if ever I sold my K it would be a grudge sale, no doubt about it...

I have also had the opportunity to do a fair amount of maintenance and renovation on my K, and all I can say is, besides the help from this forum, WHAT A PLEASURE!

And so much fun!!

Very good and reliable bikes - easy to work on to (except getting to the sprag clutch and fixing your gear indicator - bit of a schlep - see my posts elsewhere in this forum Ken).

In summary, I love my K and so does my wife and 8 year old kid who sometimes go on the back with me (they never go on the back of the GSXR - they hate it!)..Wink

I will still keep the GSXR, but it largely just lives a polished life as a bit of a toy and "trophy" next to the Rolls-Royce I keep in my garage.

It goes out maybe onece a week or so, just for a bit of fun and to keep the juices flowing - it is an absolutely fantastic bike in itself.

But my K is my "day bike", the bike I always tend to hop on first, if you know what I mean....you get used to the weight.maneavorability issues, and lifting it up onto that ruddy great centre stand in the end! ...Wink

Enjoy, and once again, welcome Ken!

17Back to top Go down   New, but a little bit old as well Empty Re: New, but a little bit old as well Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:51 pm

Ajays

Ajays
Life time member
Life time member
New, but a little bit old as well DSCF1223New, but a little bit old as well DSCF1205New, but a little bit old as well DSCF1208New, but a little bit old as well DSCF1209New, but a little bit old as well DSCF1214I think you have put into words exactly how we all felt when we first got our leg over a "K". A well written article......no need to hump it up on the centre stand each time you get home. I use this home made stand.....and there are plenty on the market today available as most bikes come without a centre stand.
Cheers Ajays

Last edited by Ajays on Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:40 am; edited 1 time in total

18Back to top Go down   New, but a little bit old as well Empty Re: New, but a little bit old as well Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:12 pm

CaperKen

CaperKen
Silver member
Silver member
Hi barryt

Thanks for your welcome and your great comparison between the K and the GSXR. That was very insightful. Since I just bought my K and it's snowy in Canada, I have not ridden it yet and I'll have to wait for the comparison between my K and S until the Spring. I have every confidence from the writings here that I'll like the K, but without having that riding experience yet, I'm not quite sure that I'll jump on the K before the S. The S is just so much fun and it's comfortable ... and I'm always a sucker for the thrill of speed. Time will tell. I'm surely looking forward to my 1st K ride. Cheers, Ken

19Back to top Go down   New, but a little bit old as well Empty Re: New, but a little bit old as well Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:29 am

walfish

walfish
Life time member
Life time member
ajays, do you have a rough sketch or any dimensions of your home made stand to share

20Back to top Go down   New, but a little bit old as well Empty Re: New, but a little bit old as well Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:18 am

Ajays

Ajays
Life time member
Life time member
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MOTORCYCLE-WHEEL-CHOCK-TRAILER-RACE-TRACK-BIKE-STAND-/190485980792?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2c59d96678

ungass,
I have posted a few stage pictures but no drawings.See Above Post
However, now you can buy them anywhere around £65.

Take a look here... Ajays

ps. where in kent are you?

21Back to top Go down   New, but a little bit old as well Empty Re: New, but a little bit old as well Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:48 pm

Right on, BarryT, well said, in comparing the difference between this and other motorbikes! Of all the 'bikes I've owned and ridden this heavy old girl is still one of my very favourites (if I don't nitpick too much) and as I like to say when someone questions my choice, "She's a big girl, but she can dance." Here are the (off subject just a tad - it's really about his Gran as written by his Gramps) lyrics to a song by one of my favourite singer-songwriters, our honorary Australian poet laureate, Paul Kelly.

"She's a big fine girl from the country
A big fine girl from the country
She's a rolling queen and she wants me
A rolling queen and she wants me
Well, I'm gunna ride with my big fine girl all night long

We met beneath the tall pines
Met beneath the tall pines
We lay down on the green grass

Lay down on the green grass
Yeah, I'm gunna ride with my rolling queen all night long

I woke up to a knocking
Woke up to a knocking
She stood and darkened my door
Stood and darkened my door
Oh, I'm gunna ride with my big fine girl all night long."

22Back to top Go down   New, but a little bit old as well Empty Re: New, but a little bit old as well Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:24 am

walfish

walfish
Life time member
Life time member
ajays - i'm down in chatham

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum