BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Fell in love with my Brick Empty Fell in love with my Brick Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:41 pm

Richard1

Silver member
Silver member
Now that I have finally got my bike on the road it is slowly luring me away from my R1150RT. I can certainly understand why you folks like them. My question to you other riders is "How many miles can I realistically expect per gallon from my K100RT?"
I want to take it on some road trips and I wonder how many miles in a full tank.
Richard1

2Back to top Go down   Fell in love with my Brick Empty Re: Fell in love with my Brick Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:11 pm

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Yep, the ol things will grow on you! I would be very interested to hear millage reports as well! OH, and if its not too incriminating could you put down your driving style as well?

OG

Last edited by Oldgoat on Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Update)

3Back to top Go down   Fell in love with my Brick Empty Re: Fell in love with my Brick Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:29 pm

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
I find that I get about 180-190 miles from full tank until the light comes on.
Have about another 30 miles before I'm pushing my luck. (and the bike!)
That's with moderate riding, 60-70mph.
Have got just over 200 miles if nursing it.

http://www.johnsdrivingschool.co

4Back to top Go down   Fell in love with my Brick Empty Re: Fell in love with my Brick Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:58 am

Last September whilst merrily humming along in the outback and not paying particular attention because I reckoned the next servo was not far up the road, (it was shut down) I covered exactly 377 kilometres on a tank (loaded-up K100RS, on a calm, 42c day) and refilled the tank with 21.5 litres of premium.

The trick was to follow a four-trailer roadtrain from somewhere in the Northern Territory all the way to Katherine about 5 metres behind in his slipstream and at 80 kph for 45 minutes...the light had been on for who knows how long before I noticed it in the bright sunlight. I reckon that's about 235 miles translated into archaic distance measurement.

I was a tad nervous about running out 'beyond the black stump'.
Fell in love with my Brick 259495

5Back to top Go down   Fell in love with my Brick Empty Re: Fell in love with my Brick Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:57 am

Richard1

Silver member
Silver member
Thanks for the input. It appears that I could expect about 220 miles out of the tank. That's good enough for touring. I run at about 70/75 MPH when the road permits.
Been stopped by the police at about 90 MPH in Wyoming on the way back from Alaska to Penna. He left us off with a warning. The planets were aligned that day. Seems that the cop and my riding partner were both in the Air Force which started an Air Force conversation. I guess that's what did it.

6Back to top Go down   Fell in love with my Brick Empty Fell in love with my Brick Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:10 am

Dennis

Dennis
Platinum member
Platinum member
Blud 'oath TWB, that's running close to the edge out there ! I reckon you had her tilted to the left for the last bit. I find that 2 up touring, fully loaded (2 large panniers + 52 Litre Givi Maxia) and between 90 and 120 KPH, running on premium 98 I can get about 320 K's safely. My fuel lights don't work, never have, and I'm so confident in the fuel economy being consistent that I always run to about 300 K's before filling up. By the way, I have advanced the timing at the hall sensors to the max the adjustment slots will allow. Only down side is the engine will only just ping if highly loaded and low revs if I have to run on 91 octane (which is crap fuel). The engine is much sweeter around the troublesome 3900 - 4200 rpm area in this trim.

7Back to top Go down   Fell in love with my Brick Empty Re: Fell in love with my Brick Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:18 am

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Sounds like you dodged a bullet Richard! Smile

OG

8Back to top Go down   Fell in love with my Brick Empty Re: Fell in love with my Brick Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:51 pm

Richard1

Silver member
Silver member
Yes we did. We took it easy for some miles after that. Did not want to press our luck.
I just refueled my bike and at an average of 55/60 MPH (traffic, you know) I gor 139 miles on 3.1 gals.
44.8 MPG - I'm satisified.
Richard1

9Back to top Go down   Fell in love with my Brick Empty Re: Fell in love with my Brick Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:18 pm

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
Just a point in case anyone isn't aware, US gallons aren't as big as UK ones.
Don't take it personally guys but it could cause a bit of confusion when comparing figures.

http://www.johnsdrivingschool.co

10Back to top Go down   Fell in love with my Brick Empty Re: Fell in love with my Brick Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:45 pm

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Good catch John! I didn't know this, but just checked it out on Wiki.

OG

11Back to top Go down   Fell in love with my Brick Empty Re: Fell in love with my Brick Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:01 pm

Richard1

Silver member
Silver member
One US gallon is equal to 3.8 liters.
Sorry, I forget that not everyone is using US gallons.
My mistake. That's the only one I ever made in my life. HaHa

12Back to top Go down   Fell in love with my Brick Empty Re: Fell in love with my Brick Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:30 pm

Ned

Ned
Life time member
Life time member
Full to red light (7L in reserve) I get 245km +/- 5 or so. This is in the suburbs at 60-80 km/h.

I get better on the road but can't really recall what it was.

US gallons Smile... what an odd thing 3.8L. From memory it has something to do with the OIL drums or some such. I guess it is as quaint as the length of some kings arm or a foot Smile

05/1986 (K55) K100RS Motorsport (Europe), Production Code: 0503, 110k km, VIN:0140519 (SOLD)
1976 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (naked)
1997 BMW K1200RS red, VIN: WB10544A1VZA22667

13Back to top Go down   Fell in love with my Brick Empty Re: Fell in love with my Brick Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:16 am

3.785 litres equals a US gallon, and a pint there is a full 4oz less than its Pommie equivalent, which makes it less than equal, IMHO. I'm not so pedantic after a few. Cheers!
Fell in love with my Brick 502531

14Back to top Go down   Fell in love with my Brick Empty Re: Fell in love with my Brick Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:19 am

Richard1

Silver member
Silver member
While it was not my intension to open a lengthy discussion on the pros and cons of the various measuring systems, I simply wanted to relay the mileage which I had gotten on my new (old) bike.
TWB, you are correct that 1 US gallon equals about 3,785 liters. However, since all the speedometers her in the US are calibrated in MILES, I must convert to gallons whenever riding either motorcycle or snowmobile in Canada. It would not seem practical to convert my miles to kilometers so as to be able to calculate Kilometers /Liter.
That would give a result which would not be helpful to me since my speedo does not register kilometers.
By the way, what is a Pommie?
Richard1

15Back to top Go down   Fell in love with my Brick Empty Re: Fell in love with my Brick Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:01 pm

Ah, the joys of this often free-for-all forum. The information is given and taken as the various readers/participants (6 on this post alone) deem necessary. Since the majority of the world use the metric system it's often going to be spelt out that way.

I'm fortunate in that I can use both hands to hold spanners or a Biro, and use both imperial and metric when calculating the day's temperature, the distance travelled on me moto, the dimensions of that shapely scrubber in her string-like swimming cossie, the quantity required to get legless, or to go flat out like a lizard drinking (on the crawl home from the pub). It helps to be able to ambulate and cogitate at the same time too.

Pommie joke.

What's the difference between a Pommie and a 7-4-7?

The 7-4-7 stops whining when it lands in Sydney.

Answer: A term of endearment for a person of the British persuasion. Often thought to be short for pomegranate, as in 'as red as a pomegranate' due to the harsh sun Down Under. There are other theories as well. The best is that the convict ships' passenger list or 'con-note' were labelled 'Prisoners of Mother England'. The King of England :king: had his troublemakers and debtors and wanted the party to himself and his cronies...The US (I should say, the colonies) were no longer the dumping ground for the undesirables due to the revolution of 1776, so off to Botany Bay and Van Deimen's Land we go.

Now, about that mileage figure...

16Back to top Go down   Fell in love with my Brick Empty TWB?????? Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:35 am

kenny byrne

kenny byrne
I know what WTF means....HaHa,

What does TWB stand for......sorry me stuuuupid!!

Kenny

17Back to top Go down   Fell in love with my Brick Empty Re: Fell in love with my Brick Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:24 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
kenny

.... the "guest" user name that you see in this post is for our friend "two wheels better " (twb) aka dazza , darren etc

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

18Back to top Go down   Fell in love with my Brick Empty Re: Fell in love with my Brick Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:03 am

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Now wasn't that a flash from the past!? I'm glad at least we now know that a gallon is a gallon but some gallons are more equal than others.

Kenny, I took a little bit of time away from the forum and when I returned all of my posts were listed as 'Guest'. I guess I shouldn't have deleted my account. I was able to coax my current user name back but my previous posts aren't included in the tally.

Hey, for a while there I was known as GitH or Guest in the House, and there are a few creative interpretations of that acronym!

Thanks to Charlie for clarifying.
Cheers.

19Back to top Go down   Fell in love with my Brick Empty Re: Fell in love with my Brick Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:11 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
cheers twb Fell in love with my Brick 112350

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

20Back to top Go down   Fell in love with my Brick Empty Re: Fell in love with my Brick Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:49 pm

brickrider

brickrider
Life time member
Life time member
My 1985 K100RS returns about 45 miles per over the back roads here in Idaho. They're lightly patrolled, so running 75-80 mph for sustained periods is not unrealistic.
When I first bought the bike I was alarmed at how quickly the 7 l. warning light came on. Now, I reckon I've nearly 2 US gallons in the tank at that moment. Very Happy
Absolutely no worries about touring on my Brick!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum