BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   fuel pump replacement Empty fuel pump replacement Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:13 pm

david

I'm thinking that my fuel pump may be on it's final rinse and should be replaced..However after a look through the available (used and new) market i'm curious as to why the pump can't be mounted external to the tank?.. I've seen inline electric pumps that are miniscule compared to the beemer bilge dumper and am curious as to putting one of these units into play..they are not as big as a fuel filter..the bottom of my tanknever has any sploodge or aqua in it; so...? Any thots???

2Back to top Go down   fuel pump replacement Empty Re: fuel pump replacement Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:31 pm

japuentes

japuentes
Life time member
Life time member
Hi there, maybe an external one will make the job, but the in tank saves space (scarce on board) and work better because fuel works as coolant and lubricant. There are many in tank pumps in the market that can be fitted to our Ks, search the forum and youll find plenty on the subject, and of course any doubts we will be happy to help.
Best regards
JAP

3Back to top Go down   fuel pump replacement Empty Re: fuel pump replacement Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:16 am

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
I have just had to replace mine. If I can get another 22 years out of it I will be happy. (and 77 years old!)
I'm inclined to agree with Jap. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
If it is, there are plenty of alternatives.
I found wthat with my wheel swap project, every time you solve one problem another is created so I've shelved the idea for now and getting out on the road!
What makes you think its on its last legs?
You don't normally get any warning.

http://www.johnsdrivingschool.co

4Back to top Go down   fuel pump replacement Empty Re: fuel pump replacement Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:00 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
hi david ..the only reason i could find for having an intenal fuel pump was that they generically dont have what is called a self priming ability ...when you run low/out of fuel there is nothing to do till you can feed the intake of the pump with fuel, ie blowing in the tank maybe to force the new fuel through to the pump , one would have to redesign the fuel feed so that i became a gravity feed system with the outlet near the bottom of the tank ....not some distance higher like on our bikes ...not a big issue but something to concider other wise you might find some form of diaphram type pump that can pump air as well

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

5Back to top Go down   fuel pump replacement Empty Re: fuel pump replacement Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:48 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi David,
When looking at pumps it is important to remember the fuel pump has to pump at over 36 psi and reasonable flow rates, smaller pumps will in general have smaller capacity and pressure.
Regards,
K-BIKE

6Back to top Go down   fuel pump replacement Empty Re: fuel pump replacement Sun May 15, 2011 8:21 pm

Loner

With the great information offered in this forum as to affordable replacement fuel pumps, I could not find myself trying to fit an external pump. I got a replacement pump (fitment as described in other posts) off Ebay for $23 US shipped to my home. Took a few minutes of adaptation to secure it in the tank (a bit smaller diameter than OEM), but with a new pump, screen and hoses I got by quite inexpensively.

7Back to top Go down   fuel pump replacement Empty Re: fuel pump replacement Sun May 15, 2011 9:00 pm

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Hey Loner, welcome to the forum.

Any more info (pics, links) about this fuel pump?

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

8Back to top Go down   fuel pump replacement Empty Re: fuel pump replacement Mon May 16, 2011 5:51 pm

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
Yes Loner, name names. This comes up regularly on the forum and we are interested in more details. Do you know what the pressure rating is?

9Back to top Go down   fuel pump replacement Empty Re: fuel pump replacement Tue May 17, 2011 3:32 am

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

Hi Loner, yes spill the beens mate name and ratings all helps.

BIG D

10Back to top Go down   fuel pump replacement Empty Re: fuel pump replacement Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:24 pm

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
Here's another replacement pump for all of you K100 owners with fuel pump OCD.
Another thread had mentioned that a model of Peugeot used the same pump. Well lo and behold, there was one on eBay that week from an '86 205 GTI 1.9.
£15 / $25 and it was mine.
Made in France by Bosch, perfect fit and looks identical. The only difference being that it has a permanent ALUMINIUM strainer on the bottom of the pump. An improvement on the nylon one as the original strainer on my bike was in tatters when I removed the pump for the first time after the damper disintegrated. May have contributed to the eventual demise of the first pump.
Well, now I have a spare pump as the reason I bought it was to replace the new, Italian made clone which I believed was causing running problems because it was too low pressure.
It was a faulty plug! One of a new set of Bosch plugs made in Brazil. Mad
Now running perfectly with new set of NGK's.
If in doubt, start with the cheapest component.

11Back to top Go down   fuel pump replacement Empty Re: fuel pump replacement Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:49 pm

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Excellent news Comberjohn...and yes, there a people (me included) who think the worst when a problem appears.

Thanks for passing on the info.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

12Back to top Go down   fuel pump replacement Empty Re: fuel pump replacement Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:50 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Comberjohn makes a hugely important point that most of us tend to think the worst and dive in without thinking it through and fixing the cheap simple stuff like a spark plug which are throwaway items anyway.

I recall a friend who against my advice and that of others took his expensive but elderly car to an auto-electrician for repair due to misfiring, after replacement of the whole fuel injection system, the engine management computer and all hugely expensive plug leads at a cost approaching $10,000 and still had the problem they replaced the rotor arm which had a crack in it and was intermittently shorting down. A very expensive lesson.
Regards,
Jeremy

13Back to top Go down   fuel pump replacement Empty Re: fuel pump replacement Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:10 pm

I'm wondering if the PUG Gti fuel pump you bought is either of these Bosch OEM part numbers? 0 580 310 015 or 003
Thanks.

14Back to top Go down   fuel pump replacement Empty Re: fuel pump replacement Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:21 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
K-BIKE wrote:Comberjohn makes a hugely important point that most of us tend to think the worst and dive in without thinking it through and fixing the cheap simple stuff like a spark plug which are throwaway items anyway.

I recall a friend who against my advice and that of others took his expensive but elderly car to an auto-electrician for repair due to misfiring, after replacement of the whole fuel injection system, the engine management computer and all hugely expensive plug leads at a cost approaching $10,000 and still had the problem they replaced the rotor arm which had a crack in it and was intermittently shorting down. A very expensive lesson.
Regards,
Jeremy

true that k-bike .....
i had what sounded to me like a output shaft issue ...or altenator monkeynuts ....
the apparent noise got worse over a period of time .....and mostly at startup ....after running for a while it was less apparent
my mind was in tatters ....and not looking for a full pull down of the motor just yet .

pulled the plugs and the ignition leads (just before a meetup and ride with locals (twb )
plugs were still wettish from "enriched mix" .... but found 1 high tension lead ...with zero conductivity

$6.00 common replacement lead has the beast burbling nicely again .

now preparing for some new leads all through .

who would have thought ?

15Back to top Go down   fuel pump replacement Empty Re: fuel pump replacement Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:50 pm

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
Sorry TWB. Didn't think to take note of the number. Was concerned to see if I'd bought a pup!

16Back to top Go down   fuel pump replacement Empty Re: fuel pump replacement Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:23 am

0 580 463 999 is the correct Bosch part number for the BMW 52mm diameter fuel pump, which is part number 16 12 1 461 576.

I'm forever attempting to cross reference Bosch to BMW part numbers (and compiling them for later on) to see what fits what....it's rainy day money spent wisely.

Some of you have probably seen this bloke's fuel pump replacement story:

http://hrsbstaff.ednet.ns.ca/bvogel/K100/download/Fuel%20pump%20replacement%20K100.pdf

17Back to top Go down   fuel pump replacement Empty Re: fuel pump replacement Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:10 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin

Last edited by K Freak on Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : more info)

18Back to top Go down   fuel pump replacement Empty Re: fuel pump replacement Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:52 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
K-freak,

Don't know if you got your information from Motobrick but...someone posted the same information as yours today along with the suggestion of using the Purolator Facet 38mm fuel pumps (available from Napa and ebay very cheaply) along with the Euromotoelectrics' K100/K75 37mm-52mm foam adapter. This combination represents the same kit sold by Motoeuroelectrics as you've referenced above.

Interesting timing if not.

19Back to top Go down   fuel pump replacement Empty Re: fuel pump replacement Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:58 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Sure did

20Back to top Go down   fuel pump replacement Empty if your fuel pump locks up. Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:56 am

mikeeeee

because BMW puts their line filter after the pump, any small piece of debris will lock the pump with embarrassing results on the side of the road.

the fix is so stupidly easy.

pull it out of the tank and reverse polarity on it for about 10 seconds.

works like a charm.

happened to me after i filled up at a gas station with crappy gas.

took me an hour to figure it out and 3 minutes to fix it.

mjydrafter

mjydrafter
I hope that it is okay to post a link to another forum? If not please be gentle.

There is a post (by me) in this thread, that shows how to use a $19 ebay fuel pump in a k75. I also made up a spacer to fit it into the original spot.

:afro:

22Back to top Go down   fuel pump replacement Empty Re: fuel pump replacement Wed May 08, 2013 10:28 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
mikeeeee wrote:because BMW puts their line filter after the pump, any small piece of debris will lock the pump with embarrassing results on the side of the road.

the fix is so stupidly easy.

pull it out of the tank and reverse polarity on it for about 10 seconds.

works like a charm.

happened to me after i filled up at a gas station with crappy gas.

took me an hour to figure it out and 3 minutes to fix it.

There should be a 6 micron filter pre pump and most of the pumps will pass up to 8 micron so you probably had a busted prefilter which is not uncommon with the OEM pumps or the vent tube was off or broken which once again is not at all uncommon considering the age of some of the pumps and bits

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

23Back to top Go down   fuel pump replacement Empty Re: fuel pump replacement Wed May 08, 2013 10:30 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
mjydrafter wrote:I hope that it is okay to post a link to another forum? If not please be gentle.

There is a post (by me) in this thread, that shows how to use a $19 ebay fuel pump in a k75. I also made up a spacer to fit it into the original spot.

:afro:

It's ok to post links like that but our fearless leader might get upset if you post some naughty links but he might look first Very Happy

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

24Back to top Go down   fuel pump replacement Empty Re: fuel pump replacement Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:41 pm

wngnutmv

wngnutmv
Silver member
Silver member
Interesting timing for this thread. I was on my way home Thursday and thought I felt the bike stutter for a split second. I chalked it up to a wind gust and kept going. 10 minutes later I noticed that, with 1/2 a tank of fuel, the fuel pump was making A LOT of noise. Much more than I was use to. About three blocks from my house I felt that same stutter and this time I knew it was not the wind.

Could this be a failing pump or could it be clogged as mentioned above?

"Gretchen II" (Gretchen von Gearshiften)

25Back to top Go down   fuel pump replacement Empty Re: fuel pump replacement Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:21 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
That can often be the first sign of a failing pump.
Check all the connections first, especially the 4 pin plug at the tank as these give trouble from being disturbed more often than they like.

26Back to top Go down   fuel pump replacement Empty Fuel pump noises! Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:34 pm

keefk1100lt

keefk1100lt
Silver member
Silver member
Long(-ish) story this...

When rebuilding after the clutch replacement on the K1100LT, we made a bit of a gaffe. Apparently ready to restart the engine, we powered up the ignition, only to get a strange, rapid chattering noise from the fuel pump. This happened every time the key was turned, but the motor wouldn't start.

Tried switching the ignition on and off many times during our attempts to start the machine up, to no avail.

Erm... I then realised that the earth harness to the ECU Motronic unit wasn't connected to the battery Embarassed

Connected this and got the usual "whizz" from the pump and the engine fired.

During a little ride today, I could hear the pump over the sound of the engine, at tickover. This is definitely not something I've managed to hear in the past. I could hear it even while wearing my crash helmet.

Question is, is the pump now trashed? The engine runs normally but I really don't like the idea of being stranded in the outside lane of the M25 in rush-hour. Been there, done that, scared the life outta me!

Any ideas folks?

27Back to top Go down   fuel pump replacement Empty Re: fuel pump replacement Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:03 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
From my experience with fuel pumps just replace it with the cheap ford pump or any pump that will pump the pressure and volume required, but definately the solid gold OEM pump.
If you have a search through the forum under ford fuel pump you will get a heap of info on it.

28Back to top Go down   fuel pump replacement Empty Re: fuel pump replacement Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:10 am

keefk1100lt

keefk1100lt
Silver member
Silver member
Well, had a little ride today, 36 mile round trip, 9 miles of motorway at legal (Shocked )-ish sort of speeds and a further 9 on A roads. Nice. And no nasty happenings, everything worked well and the fuel pump seems to be doing its job.

However, still a bit uncomfortable about the noise it makes so had a look on fleBay and found this...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250745677644?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

It says it's for a Porsche, amongst others, delivers 4 bar. Would 4 bar, (about 58+ psi) be a bit much I wonder??? Dunno what the original pump delivers.

keef

29Back to top Go down   fuel pump replacement Empty Re: fuel pump replacement Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:31 am

klompy the grey brick

klompy the grey brick
VIP
VIP
I believe the OEM pump puts out about 65PSI reduced to 35PSI...so your 58-60 PSI would be fine......and the price is great compared to one at the bottom of the page....personally I am running a smaller diameter ford pump...cheap also....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FUEL-PUMP-VOLVO-740-744-2-0-2-3-Turbo-0580464069-Petrol-Pump-1306932-285211/330804891560?_trksid=p2047675.m2109&_trkparms=aid%3D555012%26algo%3DPW.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D15990%26meid%3D8486630591878850271%26pid%3D100010%26prg%3D7588%26rk%3D3%26sd%3D250745677644%26

Chassis number0019026
Vehicle code0503
SeriesK589
ModelK 100 RS 83 (0502 ( 0503 )
Body typeK 100 RS 83 (0502
Catalog modelECE
Production date1984 / 07
Engine0513)

fuel pump replacement Au-log10

30Back to top Go down   fuel pump replacement Empty Re: fuel pump replacement Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:56 am

keefk1100lt

keefk1100lt
Silver member
Silver member
Is it just me, or do those two pumps look to be pretty much the same - apart from the hundred and sixty two quid price difference!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

31Back to top Go down   fuel pump replacement Empty Re: fuel pump replacement Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:30 am

klompy the grey brick

klompy the grey brick
VIP
VIP
what I thought too....truth be told they probably came from the same factory but meant to be delivered to vastly differing vehicles....Volvo or Porsche....I say give the cheaper one a try....

Chassis number0019026
Vehicle code0503
SeriesK589
ModelK 100 RS 83 (0502 ( 0503 )
Body typeK 100 RS 83 (0502
Catalog modelECE
Production date1984 / 07
Engine0513)

fuel pump replacement Au-log10

32Back to top Go down   fuel pump replacement Empty Re: fuel pump replacement Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:50 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
keefk1100lt wrote:Well, had a little ride today, 36 mile round trip, 9 miles of motorway at legal (Shocked )-ish sort of speeds and a further 9 on A roads. Nice. And no nasty happenings, everything worked well and the fuel pump seems to be doing its job.

However, still a bit uncomfortable about the noise it makes so had a look on fleBay and found this...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250745677644?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

It says it's for a Porsche, amongst others, delivers 4 bar. Would 4 bar, (about 58+ psi) be a bit much I wonder??? Dunno what the original pump delivers.

keef

Its got the wrong fitting at the top you need an 8mm hose connection that clamps up and come directly up.
I will have a look around and see what I can find.

Check this out and you will see the top you need and it will do the job http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-Universal-Electrical-Fuel-Pump-/251240403808

33Back to top Go down   fuel pump replacement Empty Re: fuel pump replacement Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:50 pm

keefk1100lt

keefk1100lt
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks chaps, I reckon I'll go for the one with the right fitting. Still the second cheapest I've seen around. How do they justify such enormous price differences on such items??? Mad Mad

34Back to top Go down   fuel pump replacement Empty Re: fuel pump replacement Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:36 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
They dont have to justify the huge markup and while there are enough people quite willing to pay $180 or more for a pump they will keep selling them at that price.

35Back to top Go down   fuel pump replacement Empty Re: fuel pump replacement Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:01 am

woodgeek

woodgeek
Has anyone used the foam fuel pump adapter? How does it hold up?fuel pump replacement A6338c10

36Back to top Go down   fuel pump replacement Empty Re: fuel pump replacement Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:15 am

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
I've been running a Chinese fuel since July of 2017, with no problems cost $36.00 Au. The only difference discernable is the Chinese one is heaps quieter. There are definitely varying qualities with the Chinese pumps. There have been reports apparently of failure straight out of the box, but I have been unable to find any reports. So although I and others have experienced no problems to date choose wisely, grasshopper. I chose the supplier I went with as they are a manufacturer.
Beijing Global Auto Parts is one of the leading trade companies in mainland China and a member of the Chinese Commercial Vehicle Parts Market Federation, specializing in commercial vehicle and diesel engine parts. We provide export services to many of our clients worldwide including the Middle East, Europe, Africa, and Southeast Asia. Meanwhile, we have established long-term relationships with over 20 leading diesel engine parts manufacturer in mainland China with effective quality insurance system, like Cummins, Caterpillar, Deutz, Perkins, Komatsu, Isuzu, Steyr and Kamaz.
 Our products include nozzles, elements, delivery valves, injectors, pistons, piston rings, cylinder blocks, cylinder heads, crankshafts, camshafts, turbochargers, fuel injection pumps and feed pumps. At the same time, we have good relationship with automotive companies in mainland China and our supplier, including FAW, DFM, CNHTC (Steyr, Howo), Foton (Auman), Shanxi (SX, Steyr), Yuchai, Weichai and DCEC (Cummins). With their assistance, we can provide pure China-made automotive parts and components.
For more information see http://www.motobrick.com/index.php/topic,10054.msg85798.html#msg85798
Regards Martin.

37Back to top Go down   fuel pump replacement Empty Re: fuel pump replacement Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:04 am

woodgeek

woodgeek
Thanks Martin. I’ve already purchased my fuel pump. It’s a Carter P74095. I’m just trying to figure out the best way to mount it. I’ve got my hollowed out factory fuel pump and the new vibration damper.👍

Sent from Topic'it App

38Back to top Go down   fuel pump replacement Empty Re: fuel pump replacement Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:26 am

Suzi Q

Suzi Q
Life time member
Life time member
Caution: the following post contains no words of wisdom, or useful information of any kind.

Per post 27 ante, I've been running any old cheap pump for a while now (actually the same cheap ford pump from a breakers - it hasn't yet failed) this was fitted to a turned up collar/spacer. Reason: OE pump or similar was way too expensive.

I still have a moron's understanding of fuel pumps - big ones (Bosch pattern - cheap copies around £20 on ebay) that can cool themselves and run externally, or small ones that need to run in the tank to keep cool (and need the collar/spacer)

Is it that simple, or can you get a 'small one' that runs externally?

cheers

39Back to top Go down   fuel pump replacement Empty Re: fuel pump replacement Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:54 am

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
External pump that is virtually identical to the OEM one. https://www.k100-forum.com/t13173-externally-mounted-fuel-pump.
Regards Martin.fuel pump replacement Extern10

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum