BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Installing a horn relay. Empty Installing a horn relay. Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:16 am

Brickee

Brickee
Silver member
Silver member
Hi all, in the middle of putting the bike back together and thought I'd add a horn relay. I've got the Eastern Beaver headlight relay setup and and have soldered pigtails into the feed from the battery to feed the horns. Where is the best place to mount the relay? My thoughts are to mount it to the fairing support on the headpiece or put it in one of the gloveboxes. Any options would be appreciated, thanks. Question

2Back to top Go down   Installing a horn relay. Empty Re: Installing a horn relay. Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:33 am

Anywhere hidden...of course you'll have more of those tucked-away places on an RT than I would on an RS. It's likely that you'll never have to look at the relay again so out of the way inside one of the panels where you can access it if you have to, but out of the weather wouldn't hurt.

3Back to top Go down   Installing a horn relay. Empty Re: Installing a horn relay. Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:02 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
There is a gusset on either side of the triple tree tube. These gussets have predrilled holes in them that are perfect for securing a relay. I had put my horn relay there at first but I later moved the relay to the relay box under the tank. To me it seems better to put the relay on the frame than on the fairing itself. My reasoning is that the wiring doesn't have to be disconnected when you remove the fairing for service.

4Back to top Go down   Installing a horn relay. Empty Re: Installing a horn relay. Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:23 pm

Ajays

Ajays
Life time member
Life time member
This is my horn fitted from the original feed wires.
Installing a horn relay. Dscf0010
Ajays

5Back to top Go down   Installing a horn relay. Empty Re: Installing a horn relay. Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:46 pm

If they don't see you first they'll think a lorry has snuck up behind them. That thing oughta get their attention!
Installing a horn relay. 314318

6Back to top Go down   Installing a horn relay. Empty Re: Installing a horn relay. Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:54 am

Brickee

Brickee
Silver member
Silver member
Hi all, some interesting thoughts. I hadn't thought of putting it in the relay box, that bears some looking into, all the electrics in one location.
I don't know Ajays, if I ever hit that horn accidentally, I'd better have some clean tighty whiteys in my cases! Embarassed

The good news is, I no longer have senior moments. The bad news is, now it's a constant state of mind.

7Back to top Go down   Installing a horn relay. Empty Re: Installing a horn relay. Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:26 am

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Agreed, Ajay's horn is the "Mother of all Horns". I guess my setup comes in a far second. I've only got three horns wired into my ride -- two BMW Standard Issue Fiamms and one Stebel Nautilus air horn. Mine's plenty loud.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum