BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Hello from Albuquerque New Mexico! Empty Hello from Albuquerque New Mexico! Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:28 pm

philthy

Hi everyone,

My name is Phil and I just registered today. I have an 85 basic (naked) K100 that I just got back on the road a few weeks back. It was held hostage for quite awhile in AZ by my ex while we were going through a divorce LOL. Needless to say, a new fuel pump etc was on the agenda. Everything is running great now and it's like I've found a long lost friend. I'm in the process of restoring/replacing things a little at a time, but it's getting better looking every day! The only thing I've noticed is a little oil around the water/oil pump front screws, but there's nothing around the weep hole or the larger hole where the sensor is located. Looking a little closer, there seems to be some excess sealant between the cover and front of the pump, so I may take the cover off and have a look. I'm hoping that's all there is anyway.

I've had this bike since 98 and it's got 33K miles on it (was shocked to see there's pretty detailed maintenance records that came with it). I finally got tired of hitting the speedo when it took a nap, so I went in and cleaned the connectors on the back of it....working fine now. This is the second Beemer I've owned and I am still kicking myself for selling the first one. It was an 82 R65 that had about 14K miles when I sold it. When I was younger, dirt bikes were my thing and I owned a few Pentons, Husqvarnas, Ossas, etc. I would love to have another dirt bike some day, but I also understand bones break easier on older people!

Anyway, wanted to say hello from the Land of Enchantment! Hello from Albuquerque New Mexico! 502531

Phil

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
"I owned a few Pentons, Husqvarnas, Ossas, etc."

Ahh, a man with taste!

Welcome to the forum from me in Oz. Some very cluey people here.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

Welcome to the forum. I've a few mates who are fond of Beemers from round your area, Corrales, Rio Rancho, the North East 'Whites' and in the city too. I lived on Girard SE from '95 to '99 and frequented the 24 hour Frontier restaurant for their chile stew as often as I could. I loved New Mexico and would live their again. Encantado de Tierra, (o la tierra del encantamiento?) for sure.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
welcome aboard .....

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

philthy

Thanks guys!

Two Wheels Better, ah yes the Frontier! Been awhile since I've been, but I frequent Sadie's and the Owl Cafe for a green chili cheeseburger. Believe it or not, Sadie's has a second location right next to the Owl at Eubank and I40. Green chili from Hatch should be it's own food group and I buy at least 100 pounds every year. Albuquerque has gotten really big since you were here and there are more idiots on the road now. At least it's only 10 minutes to the interstates from my place. If all goes well, we may take a trip to Madrid in the east mountains this weekend for a cold one at the Mineshaft Tavern. If the place sounds familiar, that's where they filmed "Wild Hogs". Maggie's Diner is still there, but not being used.

Ah, the Mineshaft in Madrid with its weekend afternoon bands playing and bikes lined up outside in the gravel car park. Didn't that silly bloody movie make the place look bigger and more inviting than it really is!? Is the old skinny bloke who acts as an unofficial sheriff still hobblin' round in his old Ford and floppy cowboy hat?

I "took a wrong turn in Albuturkey" in March of '07 whilst riding cross-country on my '77 R100 (bloody cold it was too!) visiting some friends in Corrales and I rode out to Madrid behind the Sandias to reminisce.
Hello from Albuquerque New Mexico! Route610

Another time I rode old Route 66 backwards from Long Beach California on my K1200S...this picture takes my breath away every time I look at it.
Hello from Albuquerque New Mexico! Oldrou10

There's some really fine riding to be done in your state (and region), mate. Thanks for the memories.

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool
Hi mate,

welcome, I agree with two wheels better, nice place, had the honour of doing a det out in Arizona so a long road trip was called for all across from Tucson to El-paso stopped off in Albuquerque when we did the old billy the kid trail through Lincoln loved it even the Harley I had to ride. Very Happy

BIG D

I just watched the film 'In The Valley of Elah' starring Tommy Lee Jones, James DeFranco, Josh Brolin, Susan Sarandon, & etc, and in it Tommy Lee's character is cruising down Central Avenue whilst searching for his AWOL Army son, and lo and behold there is the Frontier restaurant all lit up in 24 hour, fast food brilliance as he passes by! Milton's gets a mention too though I never actually ate in there, but loved the beehive 'do of the waitress as she absently poured me coffee which was the colour of the river, but not nearly as brown. I half expected a smoldering ciggie to be hangin' out the corner of her wrinkled up mouth.

It's the little things that get to us.

Here's that road to the summit of the Sandia Mountains in snow.
Hello from Albuquerque New Mexico! Sandia10

Me and the old faithful Airhead against a mural backdrop of the amazingly blue Eastern New Mexico sky. Tucumcari, 2007.
Hello from Albuquerque New Mexico! Tucumc10

9Back to top Go down   Hello from Albuquerque New Mexico! Empty Re: Hello from Albuquerque New Mexico! Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:27 pm

87m6chris

87m6chris
Silver member
Silver member
TWB You don't look anything like you write!!! That's a joke, you look like the rest of us.

Please tell all of us house bound/wife bound husbands how in the name of God you mange to spend 300 days of each year riding what seems to be the finest roads and views imaginable.
Wealthy from birth, brilliant from birth, the dole?

Keep it up buddy, it's a joy to read and view your posts.

10Back to top Go down   Hello from Albuquerque New Mexico! Empty Re: Hello from Albuquerque New Mexico! Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:05 am

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
I think he looks like Ronald Biggs, that may explain it.

11Back to top Go down   Hello from Albuquerque New Mexico! Empty Re: Hello from Albuquerque New Mexico! Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:14 am

Too easy: an eye ever on the horizon and curiosity about what's round the next bend, dual citizenship, an adult child who needs little help, no wifey to buy curtains and kitchens for, minimal debt and low overhead, no car to go soft sitting in when it rains or is cold, high-quality miniaturised camping gear that's cool to set up and use, good personal choices, and a lifetime spent focussing on travel for travel's sake. I also don't mind spending time with just me, myself and I along for the ride.

In rough German, Die Weise ist das Ziel. (The way is the goal)

Poor ol' Mr Biggs was stuck right where he was, a prisoner of Rio.

Also, Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil most people don't really listen to their angels and demons.

It's a fine Autumn day in SE Queensland and I'm exploring the area round Toowoomba where some of the devastating floods were at the beginning of the year. On me motorbike, of course. Cheers.

12Back to top Go down   Hello from Albuquerque New Mexico! Empty Re: Hello from Albuquerque New Mexico! Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:00 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
nice one twb.....

fantastic riding weather for "the sunshine state "

13Back to top Go down   Hello from Albuquerque New Mexico! Empty Re: Hello from Albuquerque New Mexico! Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:04 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Welcome aboard and look forward to your recounting some touring tales.
Regards,
K-BIKE

14Back to top Go down   Hello from Albuquerque New Mexico! Empty Re: Hello from Albuquerque New Mexico! Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:06 pm

philthy

BIG D,

Were you doing a det at Davis-Monthan by chance? That was my last assignment before I retired in 2002. I really miss dealing with Iron Horse in Tucson. Probably one of the best dealer experiences I've ever had....great folks!

Here's a quick pic of my bike taken about a month ago. I've since polished a lot of the yellow out of the fairing. Used a Maguier's headlight restoration kit to polish it, then switched to baking soda on a wet paper towel for the final step. Not perfectly clear, but WAY better than it used to be! I've also replaced the air snorkle and cleaned the heck out of the other plastics. She was left outside during her previous life and the sun took it's toll. Slowly but surely, everything is getting back to good condition! If we can finally get past the spring winds here, it'll be time to take some trips. I'll be sure to report on that.

[img]http://k100rt.aforumfree.com/Hello from Albuquerque New Mexico! Beemer13[/img]

15Back to top Go down   Hello from Albuquerque New Mexico! Empty Re: Hello from Albuquerque New Mexico! Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:12 pm

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

Yes Davis Monthan it was, been there a few times with Tornado's,
fantastic place and correct on the iron horse dealer.
That's a fine looking bike you have enjoy.

BIG D

16Back to top Go down   Hello from Albuquerque New Mexico! Empty Re: Hello from Albuquerque New Mexico! Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:18 pm

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Nice rides buys and I luv the look of that mountain road TWB!

OG

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum