BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Busted bleeder screw (SOLVED) Empty Busted bleeder screw (SOLVED) Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:00 am

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Dang it!! The last caliper to bleed and the bleeder screw twisted off flush with the caliper when I tried to open it. Fortunately it's still seated so not leaking, but cannot complete the brake flush until I get it out. Anyone have an awesome trick aside from a trip to a machine shop?

Last edited by club_c on Tue May 03, 2011 12:42 am; edited 1 time in total

2Back to top Go down   Busted bleeder screw (SOLVED) Empty Re: Busted bleeder screw (SOLVED) Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:33 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
have you thought of an "easy out " these things are either trouble or helpfull,
basically they are a square sectioned tool steel grade (only the good ones ) device with a left hand thread ....the idea is , as you wind the "easyout " into the hole created by the broken bit ....the sides bite into the metal of the old hole that has been created .....with the normal unscrewing motion (you might have to use a "tapp handle" for this ) the tool will unscrew the locked in section of the old bit ....hope that makes sence

good luck !!!!

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

3Back to top Go down   Busted bleeder screw (SOLVED) Empty Re: Busted bleeder screw (SOLVED) Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:50 am

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Yup, used them before, they're either a Godsend or the Devil himself if they break off in the hole. They're so hard they are difficult to drill out if they break...

4Back to top Go down   Busted bleeder screw (SOLVED) Empty Re: Busted bleeder screw (SOLVED) Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:38 am

Easy outs are the biz! That's what I used after centre drilling that dastardly 10mm frame bolt a coupla months ago. A bleed screw oughta be easy since there's already a hole in it. Good luck.

5Back to top Go down   Busted bleeder screw (SOLVED) Empty Re: Busted bleeder screw (SOLVED) Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:37 am

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

I agree with TWB & Charlie Easy outs are a useful way out of this mess just take it easy, I have two types the straight fluted Hirlinger type and the standard taperd, I must say in the taperd type I prefer the snap-on short ones as there is less length to snap, good luck.

BIG D

6Back to top Go down   Busted bleeder screw (SOLVED) Empty Re: Busted bleeder screw (SOLVED) Sun May 01, 2011 1:53 pm

Gardell

I have had good luck with easyouts. Drill the bleeder out to use the largest easyout that will fit. I always heat the screw with a torch until it starts to glow, then stick in the easy out and quickly unscrew it. Have done it to numerous cars and trucks, never had to on the motorcycle (knock on wood).

7Back to top Go down   Busted bleeder screw (SOLVED) Empty Re: Busted bleeder screw (SOLVED) Mon May 02, 2011 3:06 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Just a warning note I would not advise heating to glow point on an alloy calliper OK on cast iron callipers but I suspect could be a problem with ours. Warming up with hot air or even a soldering iron held on the broken bleed nipple and then put a drop of penetrating oil made with acetone and ATF then let it sit overnight before atacking it with the easyout. Don't get any on the rubber bits though. Get genuine high quality easyouts such as Snapon there is an interesting site http://www.brokentap.com/easy-outs.html who has some interesting comment on problems.
Regards,
K-BIKE

8Back to top Go down   Busted bleeder screw (SOLVED) Empty Re: Busted bleeder screw (SOLVED) Mon May 02, 2011 5:05 am

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Busted bleeder screw (SOLVED) Dscf0210

Busted bleeder screw (SOLVED) Dscf0211

Cool

A couple of pics of what I use in general SNAP-ON short easy outs and
Hirlinger type fluted easy stud extractors.

BIG D

9Back to top Go down   Busted bleeder screw (SOLVED) Empty Re: Busted bleeder screw (SOLVED) Mon May 02, 2011 5:25 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
nice stuff !!!!

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

10Back to top Go down   Busted bleeder screw (SOLVED) Empty Re: Busted bleeder screw (SOLVED) Tue May 03, 2011 12:49 am

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Got it fixed. Had my brake shop try to weld a washer to the stubby end left, and then weld a nut to the washer to turn it out, but the weld was too weak and just broke away from the screw. Tried easyout but wouldn't bite well enough and I was very fearful of breaking it off and then having to figure out how to drill out a hardened steel tip. So.... bought a threaded tap and drilled to recommended size (number on the tap) and tapped out the hole like nothing. The seat portion of the screw stayed inside the hole at the bottom but I drilled a 1/16th hole in the center of it and it came out on the bit. The drilling is quite easy if you do it in stages since it already has the bleeder hole down the center.

BTW, the thread is a 10 X 1.0 if you need that info.

11Back to top Go down   Busted bleeder screw (SOLVED) Empty Re: Busted bleeder screw (SOLVED) Tue May 03, 2011 1:26 am

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

Well done club-c great stuff,

BIG D

12Back to top Go down   Busted bleeder screw (SOLVED) Empty Re: Busted bleeder screw (SOLVED) Tue May 03, 2011 3:15 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Excellent stuff club_c
Regards,
K-BIKE

13Back to top Go down   Busted bleeder screw (SOLVED) Empty Re: Busted bleeder screw (SOLVED) Tue May 03, 2011 11:04 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
great work club_c ....congrats !!!

14Back to top Go down   Busted bleeder screw (SOLVED) Empty Re: Busted bleeder screw (SOLVED) Tue May 03, 2011 4:39 pm

reg_K100RS

Silver member
Silver member
Well done
I fixed a snapped bleeder on a CX in similar way
the centre hole acts as a pilot drill and I found careful
drilling out allowed me to pick out the remnants then clean it all up

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum