BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

shaftdrive69

shaftdrive69
Hi Everyone

I only found the forum this morning on account of a speedo which has ceased to function. I have learned an awful lot already - thanks very much! I have apparently got an appropriate sender resistance of 2.78K, so it is is either connectors or the instrument itself. Everything else is working normally on this fair weather, under 10k miles from new bike.

I have owned the bike from new in May 1984 - in fact it is her birthday today, she is 27! I wish I was!

All the best

Steve

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

Hi Steve, welcome to the forum happy bike birthday Very Happy

BIG D

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Welcome from the land down under.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

shaftdrive69

shaftdrive69
Thanks chaps.

Since writing above I have had a visitor to collect a mower I sold on Fleabay last night. Turns out he is a biker, more of him in a minute....

This morning I tried to tax my bike on line through the UK Directgov site and was told it wasn't insured! Woe, woe and thrice woe! It would appear that although I had the renewal notice last year, (neatly filed away) I seem to have missed out doing anything about it. Good job I haven't been riding the old girl!

Anyway, I was relating to sad tale to my new acquaintance, when he said: " Who was it insured with?" The answer was Footman James - I've been with them for years, since she was old enough for classic insurance. He said: "Try Peter James, he's the James of Footman James and he has set up again after selling the original firm." So when he had gone, I looked them up and have insured her on line for about £110, comprehensive cover, 3000 miles useage. Usual disclaimer applies; I have no connection with this firm, only as a new customer. I reckon he has saved me at least £40. Laughing
Steve

shaftdrive69

shaftdrive69
Just another thought having put the picture on. I rode her yesterday for the first time in 4 years. I have been using an 80cc Honda scooter for work transport. I threw my leg over the Bee Emm and rode off to the MOT station, thinking, "Strewth, did I really used to ride this?" She did seem big and lively after the NH80 as I am really not tall enough for a big bike.

Steve

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
hi steve welcome onboard .

there is another connector along the path from the pickup , behind the right hand side cover , but usually the trouble is the pins arangement at the instument cluster ....you would have read that "deoxit" comes highly recommended for this and many "electric " issues

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Steve,
Welcome aboard and good to have you with us. The early K's had a problem with water getting into the instrument cluster, there is a writeup on this site that I did a while back which turns up with a search. But as has been said there are a couple of points where problems occur outside the instrument cluster and inside as well.

Also there is a low seat available which drops the seating position so that those not provided with long legs can still get aboard more easily.
Secondhand you should be able to get one but make sure you get all the bits because the conversion involves different locking position and resiting of one of the modules, no bodging required all an oficial typically Germanic modification.
Regards,
K-BIKE

shaftdrive69

shaftdrive69
Thanks again gents for the kind words

My bike is certainly one of the early ones and was recalled to have venting holes drilled in the "7 screw backplate". Dad and I had a matching pair of K100RS then and Jefferies drilled one of them, I can't remember which then told us to do the other one ourselves! We are both hobby model engineers so that didn't present too much of a problem. Having seen inside mine for the first time in about 25 years I think I must have drilled the holes in mine, as they are arranged in neat dice pattern sixes. I'm pretty sure the one they did was randomly riddled!
I have been looking at the downloads and am very impressed with the info available. I will look up "deoxit" and the low seat.

Thanks again
Steve

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome to the forum!
Just insured my LT last month for £70 for third party, fire & theft. No mileage limitations, its an ordinary policy with Highwayman(?) Insurance.
Another £15 per year gets me breakdown recovery anywhere in the UK and Southern Ireland. It works too, used it last year.
My broker advised me that classic insurance wasn't always the best choice for our bikes. 3000 miles doesn't sound like a lot.

http://www.johnsdrivingschool.co

shaftdrive69

shaftdrive69
It may not sound like a lot, but I have only ridden it 10,000 miles in 27 years, so I don't think it will be an issue for me. Truth be told, I've got too many things to play with! Very Happy

shaftdrive69

shaftdrive69
Hi again chaps

The deoxit arrived today and I have just put the speedo back together. Its too late to finish the job and deal with the plugs which are part of the loom and fit in the back of the instruments. I also have to clean the sender connectors by the side panel. I hope to get it done tomorrow night after work, fingers crossed that it works! Mind you, the instrument in the pictures linked from the download page looks in far worse nick than mine. It did work normally 4 years ago and I can't see any evidence of fried component, so I'm hopeful.

I may even get to ride her this weekend if I'm lucky!

Thanks to all cheers

Steve

geordnz

geordnz
Silver member
Silver member
If you find a second hand speedo unit in km's I'll swap my perfectly working ex UK Miles unit with ya LOL. It's only done 68200miles :-)

shaftdrive69

shaftdrive69
Well, I've finally got the speedo working properly tonight. Thanks to Deoxit and a new speedo board. Very Happy I've treated her to a new seal and a set of new green bulbs whilst in there.

Big thanks to everyone here and at Motorworks for their helpful service. As a very satisfied customer I have become a mobile advert for them!

I've just fitted the newly arrived tax disc, so I've just got to find time to shift all the stuff in the way of riding her. I can't tell you how chuffed I am tonight!

Steve

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Now, I hope you will enjoy your ride.

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Nice job Steve! Enjoy it and welcome on board!

OG

shaftdrive69

shaftdrive69
Hi Guys an' Gals

You will be pleased to hear I've been out on the bike properly this morning. Nothing too heroic, about 45 miles over the Woodhead Pass, over to Glossop and back home via the Snake Pass, Ladybower and Rivelin Valley. Shame it was cold and wet, but still I enjoyed it. She still feels large to a dwarf, but I'm getting the hang of stopping carefully again, so my "down" foot isn't left in the air by fork bounce.
lol!

SWMBO took a picture as I left home, so I have changed the profile shot to the current one.
It sure is good to be back and out in the new gear.

PS, the odometer went over 10,000 on the way back, about 4 miles from home. The exhaust smoke in the picture is steamy condensate - cold damp morning.

When I came back, I changed the front brake fluid using my new Sealey VS020 brake bleeder - it uses compressed air to pull a partial vacuum. Made the job very easy indeed - I'm delighted with this new toy. Rear of my Jeep next (front had new pistons recently) and SWMBO's car is due for a brake service

Steve

Last edited by shaftdrive69 on Sun May 15, 2011 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : additions)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum