BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

chrish8846

Silver member
Silver member
I purchased a new OEM clutch cable for my 85 K100,but the handlebar end has a very small nipple. The cable I'm replacing also has a small nipple on the end with a ferrule but it's larger than the BMW one so it will not fit the factory cable and handlebar hole. I have looked at a dealer parts fisch and cannot tell which piece I need. Any help from you guys with a part #??
I also have the throttle cable with the adjuster that is about 8 inches down from the twist grip and I understand that it has been recalled. My dealer just has a blank look when I ask about the recall on the 85 throttle cable, any ideas about the recall # because they never expire, so I can get a new cable for free if I can find that number.

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin

Ferrule for clutch cable-Throttle cable recall Frog15Ferrule for clutch cable-Throttle cable recall Logo2101986 k75, 1985 K100rt, 1985 K100rt/EML GT2 sidecar, 1999 K1200lt/Hannigan Astro Sport sidecar.

chrish8846

Silver member
Silver member
I beg to differ, if it is a safety related problem(i.e. the throttle cable binding) the recalls are honored as long as you have a viable vehicle(you can drive it to the dealer).
The dealer has the same fisch but I can't make out which I cable part I need to order.

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
I will not ague with you, but I got this information from a dealer.

To support this argument, in Europe (BMW is from Europe) in most countries the manufacturer is obligated to support and supply parts for a minimum of 10 years after the production date. After 10 years, it can say no more support (and this will include the recalls too).
If your bike is a 85, it has to been serviced until 95 (and no longer) even if the same model was still sold in 2000.
In N.A., we do not have the same protection. I had purchased a Mitsubishi car from Chrysler (They were the reseller in N.A) and after 6 years Chrysler pull off the partnership with Mitsubishi and stopped providing any parts at all. To make a long story short, Mitsubishi didn't have a lot of parts because they were produced for Chrysler. I was out of luck and sold the car for a very cheap price.

BMW is nice enough to provide us with the same customer satisfaction as in Europe, but this is NOT mandatory. They only have to abide to state or country laws.
To give you another example, I have a Shubber system IV helmet sold by BMW. One year after buying it, I could not buy anymore parts for it (even the shield). When I went to my old BMW dealer in Europe, I could clearly see on the parts catalog "NOT FOR SALE IN THE USA OR CANADA". Even if this is a security issue, I have to be in Europe to get the part. No dealers will ship it to North America.

Hope this clears some cloudy area.

Bert

Ferrule for clutch cable-Throttle cable recall Frog15Ferrule for clutch cable-Throttle cable recall Logo2101986 k75, 1985 K100rt, 1985 K100rt/EML GT2 sidecar, 1999 K1200lt/Hannigan Astro Sport sidecar.

chrish8846

Silver member
Silver member
Thanks for your replay Bert.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum