BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   No odo or trip  Empty No odo or trip Sun May 15, 2011 6:54 pm

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
My 1983 K100 decided that it didn't want to tell me how far I have travelled. The speedo works, but no trip or odo. At the moment I have a push bike computer which I attached to the front wheel and gives me all the information I need. However I would like to get the odo and trip meter working again. Any suggestions out there which do not involve a large hammer? Thanks Ainsjac

2Back to top Go down   No odo or trip  Empty Re: No odo or trip Sun May 15, 2011 7:00 pm

Greetings, new member! Come to our informal meeting at the Ocean View Hotel in Urunga next weekend (saturday arvo and night) and over a coupla coldies we'll tell you all about it. It's a relatively easy fix.

3Back to top Go down   No odo or trip  Empty Re: No odo or trip Sun May 15, 2011 7:12 pm

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Welcome Ainsjac.

Have a look through the previous posts as I'm sure there was a fairly recent one on speedo issues with a couple of links to other sites that may be of some help. Sounds like stripped gears. Yes, you can get some/most/all of them.

As TWB said, come along to our gathering this weekend. I'm sure that TWB will remove and dismantle his speedo just to help you identify some problem areas!

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

4Back to top Go down   No odo or trip  Empty Re: No odo or trip Mon May 16, 2011 1:52 am

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Dear Banana Benders....sorry, not many bananas at the moment.
Can't make it to Urunga as I have to go to a funeral in Canberra on Friday. Ainsjac

5Back to top Go down   No odo or trip  Empty Re: No odo or trip Mon May 16, 2011 3:42 am

Ah, banana benders some Sunshine/Smart State people may be, but my number plate is yellow! And my amplifier goes up to eleven.
:joker:

6Back to top Go down   No odo or trip  Empty Re: No odo or trip Mon May 16, 2011 9:31 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
i had one of them things ...but painted it red ...cause everyone knows red goes faster

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

7Back to top Go down   No odo or trip  Empty Re: No odo or trip Mon May 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Thank you for thoughts. I have looked at the threads of the speedo problems and found reference to the trip meter. Aty this point in time, considering that I will need 2 new cogs, plus the possibility that the circuit board may be fragile after spending 28 years in a hot western NSW climate, I will close up the unit, put it back on the bike and rely on my pushie odo. Amazing thing the Sigma unit..cost about $30 and can tell me the time as well as average speed and unfortunately the highest recorded speed achieved. Many thanks for all your thoughts and help. Ainsjac

8Back to top Go down   No odo or trip  Empty Re: No odo or trip Mon May 16, 2011 8:10 pm

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Does your indicators automatically stop after a certain distance??

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland No odo or trip  Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

9Back to top Go down   No odo or trip  Empty Re: No odo or trip Tue May 17, 2011 7:35 am

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Hey ainsjac, keep an eye out for me going north, I'll be the one walking with a fuel can cause my trip meter ist kaput as well.
RT

10Back to top Go down   No odo or trip  Empty Re: No odo or trip Wed May 18, 2011 7:26 pm

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Renez, the indicators did switch off after a certain distance, but recently I've noticed that I have to cancel them myself. I do have another strange issue, when the left blinker is on and the hazard switch ( on the panel) blinks with it. This does not happen with the right side. Thanks Ainsjac

11Back to top Go down   No odo or trip  Empty Re: No odo or trip Wed May 18, 2011 7:31 pm

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
RT, You need a digital fuel gauge. I had one on my Yamaha...open the cap, stick your digit in and you will know how much fuel you have. I would recomend the Sigma push bike computer to you..all you you need is to replace a tiny battery every 3 years...it is dead accurate and you can take it off the bike at any time and have a spare watch. Ainsjac

12Back to top Go down   No odo or trip  Empty Re: No odo or trip Wed May 18, 2011 7:37 pm

Ainsjac, have you had a look at the starter motor brushes for wear and/or a lot of carbon dusting, lately? This often causes seemingly strange electrical gremlins in the system. There's a coupla posts here about this issue and it's a pretty straightforward fix. Just a thought.

13Back to top Go down   No odo or trip  Empty Re: No odo or trip Wed May 18, 2011 7:39 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Sounds like the biz to me, I'll look that up when I get back, too late today, I'm off this a.m. with digit at the ready.
Cheers ainsjac
RT

14Back to top Go down   No odo or trip  Empty Re: No odo or trip Wed May 18, 2011 8:57 pm

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
"RT, You need a digital fuel gauge. I had one on my Yamaha...open the cap, stick your digit in and you will know how much fuel you have."

My kind of technology! Very Happy

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

15Back to top Go down   No odo or trip  Empty Re: No odo or trip Wed May 18, 2011 10:06 pm

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
No odo or trip  44271

OG

16Back to top Go down   No odo or trip  Empty Re: No odo or trip Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:37 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Hi everyone
I'm losing my hair (no jokes pls) with frustration over my Odo and trip meter. I have the supplier of new cogs narrowed down here in Oz but
he is insisting on having the correct tooth numbers for all 4 cogs. Does anyone have those numbers for metric (kilometers)? I don't want to have to pull it apart, and the smaller one is stripped anyway. Help.
Regards RT

17Back to top Go down   No odo or trip  Empty Re: No odo or trip Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:45 pm

Someone here recently posted a coupla US sites for obtaining the correct speedo/odo gear sets. They seemed pretty clear on what was needed for our bikes by brand, Motometer. I'll have a look see.

Try Kg4miq's post...
Stateside parts suppliers for Speedometer / odometer gears

18Back to top Go down   No odo or trip  Empty Re: No odo or trip Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:50 pm

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Good luck with your searches. I believe, someone up in Brisbane may be able to help...I think it is Otto...instruments..able to repair most instruments...not sure how much. Ainsjac

19Back to top Go down   No odo or trip  Empty Re: No odo or trip Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:50 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
ainsjac wrote:Good luck with your searches. I believe, someone up in Brisbane may be able to help...I think it is Otto...instruments..able to repair most instruments...not sure how much. Ainsjac

Good luck with Otto I tried to get him to do mine about 12 months ago but he said he doesn't do those any more apparently too much drama with them and getting parts is a problem for him. You may talk him round.

20Back to top Go down   No odo or trip  Empty Re: No odo or trip Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:41 am

I tried Otto too a while back and he said he had more fun (which I took to mean more money to be made) with Ford, Holden and other instruments and didn't have time for BMW/Motometer.

21Back to top Go down   No odo or trip  Empty Re: No odo or trip Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:36 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
yep he's a cagy old fella huh ?

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

22Back to top Go down   No odo or trip  Empty Re: No odo or trip Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:43 am

geordnz

geordnz
Silver member
Silver member
Well reading this tread has given me a laugh tonight. I have 3 things to say.
1. I like the digit..al fuel meter.
2. I have very big hands and long fingers but I don't think they would reach that far down the tank.
3. If you are that worried about running out of fuel, carry a spare tank. Surely you have either a glove pocket or a spare pannier to put a little bottle of fuel? LOL

23Back to top Go down   No odo or trip  Empty Re: No odo or trip Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:52 am

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Well some good news on the fuel gauge, on our trip over 1700 klm and trying to catch the flugzeuging Ulrich at Autobahn speeds, I was able to get 33o ks at least out of the tank, 98 octane mostly but i was impressed. Tks for all the tips, but speedo has taken a back seat, my radiator fan has cooked itself so ordered a new one from Motobins
64 quid (about $100 Aud) plus postage about the same, instead of 200 quid eqv. in Australia. Yes I could have pulled it apart etc, but my mother in law left her credit card lying around again.
Cheers RT

24Back to top Go down   No odo or trip  Empty Re: No odo or trip Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:21 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
RT wrote: Yes I could have pulled it apart etc, but my mother in law left her credit card lying around again.
Cheers RT

omg love it rt ....."classic"

hope you get her fixed ......the bike i mean ....ya can't fix the other ..!!!!

25Back to top Go down   No odo or trip  Empty Re: No odo or trip Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:43 am

Here's an OZ online source (eBay) in Redcliffe, Queensland for odo gear sets for BMW/Motometer, but like the other sites you've gotta know how many teeth you've got... At $47.49 per set that's almost alright, and they're only ten or fifteen minutes away from where I live.

http://www.partslunacy.com/store/7_bmw

26Back to top Go down   No odo or trip  Empty Re: No odo or trip Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:10 am

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Two Wheels, I am enjoying my Sigma gizmo so much as it is cheaper and has more info.

27Back to top Go down   No odo or trip  Empty Re: No odo or trip Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:27 am

I have a bicycle metre on my motorbike which gives me stacks of info too. Besides keeping things simple I want others to know how to obtain spare parts easier and be able to restore or repair their own 'bike using local resources, so I s'pose this info's for everyone else who wants the same then.

28Back to top Go down   No odo or trip  Empty Re: No odo or trip Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:38 am

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
I need to find an old one and count the teeth on the four cogs so that we all know which to order. My small gear is completely stripped. (again, no comments please, it matches my head actually).
RT

29Back to top Go down   No odo or trip  Empty Re: No odo or trip Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:36 pm

At least it isn't completely stripped exposing your small gear. Any teeth marks?

Ba domb.

30Back to top Go down   No odo or trip  Empty Re: No odo or trip Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:16 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
No odo or trip  261959 Tks emu I need a laugh.

31Back to top Go down   No odo or trip  Empty Re: No odo or trip Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:37 am

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Gentlemen, the party is getting rough, I'll have to find my trousers and go home!

32Back to top Go down   No odo or trip  Empty Re: No odo or trip Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:54 am

How do they say it...LOL?

33Back to top Go down   No odo or trip  Empty Not correct Fri May 24, 2013 2:47 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
Guest wrote:Here's an OZ online source (eBay) in Redcliffe, Queensland for odo gear sets for BMW/Motometer, but like the other sites you've gotta know how many teeth you've got... At $47.49 per set that's almost alright, and they're only ten or fifteen minutes away from where I live.

[url=http://www.partslunacy.com/store/7_bmw
http://www.partslunacy.com/store/7_bmw[/quote[/url]]
Neither of the moto meter gear sets shown at the above linked site work on the motorcycle. Neither have the correct gear count. These are 2 car sets commonly Known as E30 and E28.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum