BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Hi All,
I am back again with the most frustrating issue I have ever dealt with and I am a diesel/heavy equipment /auto tech for over 30 years!
This bike has pushed me to my limit. The problem comes and goes like the wind and the last fix was to replace the AFM which I was sure was the problem. The bike ran well for 3 days and then all of a sudden it started smoking black and running rough again.
I have replaced and or verified the performance of the following. Water temp sensor,plugs, hall switches,pump, FPR,AFM, filter, battery,switch, check spray pattern on injectors! I probably missed something but it is intermittent and I am ready to burn this beotch!!!!
I have been dealing with this thing for over 1 year and have ridden it only 100 miles. I am seriously frustrated!!!!
HELP!
I do not want to send to dealer$$$$$

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
It is very obviously running rich, the first thing to check is the temp sensor and you have done that next is the MAF (mass air flow) sensor which you refer to as the AFM which you have also checked and gave the ok.
What is next for me is seeing that it ran OK after you messed with the MAF then went cactus I would now be thinking a bad connection in that circuit.
Have you been over all the plugs and contacts with Deoxit so as to be really sure they are clean.
I dont think I was involved in the last time you asked here so please bear with me.
If the vacuum drops off at the fuel pressure regulator it will make the fuel pressure increase and would make it run rich, have you checked the vacuum line from the #4 throttle body to see if it is broken and intermitently causing the problem. This could be the cause as when you replaced the MAF you were working close to that line and as it has a wire spiral to protect it a break would be easy to miss.
I would also could pay to clean the temp sensor plug points all the way to the ECU as an open circuit or high resistance would make it rich.
Knowing the Ks ability to go O/C at any plug point I would be almost certain that the problem is there in one of the many connectors.
I hope this has helped and I can certainly unerstand your fustration, I would have thrown it out the door by now.

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
The disappearance and reappearnce of your problem points to an possible electrical problem IMO. I can't imagine that a mechanical problem has such a failure mode. If a connector is loose or a wire broken within the harness, then connectivity is intermittent and can even make/break repeadedly making a problem disappear and reappear quite suddenly. Others have repeatedly recommended to you to clean contacts. It might be worthwhile to also check the firmness that contacts mate together. Spade connectors tend to loosen and go intermittent. Firming up the female spade connectors in the wiring related to fuel sensing circuitry might solve your problem (even though you have previously gone through these same connections with contact cleaner). Best of luck.

japuentes

japuentes
Life time member
Life time member
Hi there, I'm swimming in the same pool. Did you check the HT coils? one of mine shows primary low resistence, wich seems causing shooty spark plugs, crap runing due to weak spark.
Best regards
JAP

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
What's a low primary resistance value JAP? They should be low, see Bert's page. I'm with Rob, would expect a wiring issue or potentially a bad track in the AMS ( Very Happy Air Mass Sensor).

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland 86 75k black smoke rough running AGAIN!!! Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

japuentes

japuentes
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Rene, nominal resistance is 2,6 (Bert´s measures and mine concurs) my faulty coil shows 1,5. Afther oven drying it raised to 1,9, and engine behavior improved but not enough yet. I think that under 2,34Ohm the coil is faulty. Coil resistance behavior may be intermitent thus engine performance. Of course, all the other mentioned causes are valid and must be veryfied. I´ll also add MAF´s vane malfunction due to free swinging obstruction or return spring weakness.
Best regards
JAP

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum