BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   K100RT Intermediate Gear Repair Thread Empty K100RT Intermediate Gear Repair Thread Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:17 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Hi,

Rather than hijack the other thread I started about the K1100 overflow tank, I thought it better that I start a new thread dedicated to my intermediate gear repair. At least, at this point in time, I THINK it is the intermediate gear in the bell housing that has been trashed.

First, a little history. I did an alternator swap a couple weeks back. The new alternator had the coupling adapter too high in the shaft, which pushed the drive dog causing it to bind on the bell housing. The result was a catastrophic failure of something in the bell housing. I am guessing at this point that it is the intermediate gear...I might be wrong.

Fast forward to the present. This weekend I started the strip down to get at the bell housing. I encountered a delay in the stripdown. Seems one of the bolts holding the transmission to the clutch housing is siezed. I'm waiting for tomorrow (Monday) to get an impact driver to release the bolt and continue the disassembly.

Quote from the other thread...
I have had some like that where I have drilled the head of the bolt and then work on it without the trans in the way It's not always possible as you may not be able to move the trans back far enough to clear the remainder of the bolt.
Well, I don't think I'll have ANY problems moving the trans out of the way. This is the bike at the moment...
K100RT Intermediate Gear Repair Thread IMG_9447s

As you can see, the transmission is most readily removable. Laughing BTW, you might just be able to pick out the set of "outriggers" that I built which bolt to the oil pan and which stabilizes the engine on the motorcycle jack. They work very well. They are just a couple lengths of 2" angle iron. The remainder of the bike is on the other side of the garage...
K100RT Intermediate Gear Repair Thread IMG_9449s

As an asside, the bolt that is giving me grief at the moment is pictured below. It's the one in the centre of the photo ...
K100RT Intermediate Gear Repair Thread IMG_9448s

So, I'll use this thread to post progress reports and ask specific questions. I'm sure there will be a few because, for me, this is very scary work. I've never before in my life attempted a repair of this magnitude. So, I'm nervous but also excited to learn new things about the mechanics of the bike.

Thanks for viewing.

I'll bet a good whack on the end of that Allen head bolt with an impact tool and the appropriate driver will break 'er free. If it twists off leaving the threads behind then an EZ-Out will take it out after a hole's drilled into the remains.

Thanks for sharing the pix. It's good for us all to see how far the carcass can be separated and then resurrected.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
yep i agree ....a swift hit on the head of the offending bolt (use a drift of some kind ...and a largish hammer) can often break the bond and get it to start turning...with out ruining the actual bolt....

othewise( if the allen key is not holding ) after the whack ...there looks enough room to get a set of vice grips on the outer side of the head.

dont forget to slightly attempt to tighten then attempt to release ...many folks forget this option....once the bolt shifts ever so slightly ...the undo process often works

good luck were with ya !!!

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
I would also suggest heat the end of the bolt with a good hot soldering iron until it is hot enough to sizzle spit then drip a good penetrating oil on it like pb blaster, the heating is to expand air in the thread and when it cools and contracts, hopefully draw the penetrating oil into the thread. Take your time let it soak overnight and as suggested try a slight tighten before the release. An extremely high quality precise Allen driver is required which is a tight fit and when you go to loosen it with the impact wrench push down really hard to stop the driver camming out. You will need to have something solid blocking the frame from moving away from you even the slightest bit, since it only needs to move away by 1/8 of an inch or so and it will cam out damaging the socket.
Regards,
K-BIKE

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
One thing I have found over the years is to soak some vinegar on the bolt it may not be easy there but that usuallly gets rid of the alumunium oxide that will be binding the thread. When you put it back together use an antisieze like locktite antisieze or never sieze and that will stop it happening again.

pjjms

Silver member
Silver member
After 35 years in the engineering trade I have to go with the good sharp hit on the head with a punch before you undo the bolt. Works 95% of the time.

As for heating it. To get it hot enough you will need a gas torch and will do other damage, so I suggest you don't go there.

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
SUPER BIG THANK YOU to everyone for your suggestions (and yes, I am yelling). I used a combination of everything suggested and top prize goes to pjjms. It took a few good whacks with a pin punch inserted in the hex hole, followed by 6mm hex key socket on a 1/2" drive breaker bar AND vice grips on the outside of the head ... but it came out. The head is destroyed but bolts are cheap.

Should I go stainless steel when it comes to replacing this bolt?

Last edited by robmack on Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

We call this mechanical advantage.

pjjms

Silver member
Silver member

I’m pleased you got it out ok.

I was just reinforcing the good advice others had already given (in particular Charlie99), and along those lines don’t forget K Freaks advice on using anti seize. It really does work well.

Just to further the discussion on using heat. As an apprentice I was told heating a frozen bolt and surrounding area, and then cooling rapidly with water, caused the surrounding area to stop contracting before the bolt cooled and stopped contracting. Therefore the bolt contracted more and created a small clearance between to two. By heating I mean red hot, and this assumes both parts are steel. Problem is red hot does not work well on our bikes. There are some exceptions with dissimilar metals. For example aluminium spoke nipples free up well with a hot air gun because the aluminium expands much more than the steel spoke. Fair to say a hot air gun could be used on a gearbox as in your situation, problem is the gearbox is such a big heat sink so you would struggle to effectively get any heat into the area were its

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
UPDATE:

Got the intermediate housing off the engine after having a "knock-m-down-drag-m-out" fight with the clutch. I won!! Very Happy

Anyway, once I pulled the cover, I was immediately presented with evidence of my failure....
K100RT Intermediate Gear Repair Thread IMG_9457s

There was telltale metal shavings around the ball bearing into which the intermediate shaft is inserted and upon which the alternator pressed. A very quick examination of the intermediate gears showed that no teeth were damaged in the mishap... so far. Phew, AM I RELIEVED! K100RT Intermediate Gear Repair Thread 723598 I've brought the intermediate gears inside for a very close examination under the magnifying glass later.

I took off the retention plate and pulled out what remained of the bearing....
K100RT Intermediate Gear Repair Thread IMG_9463s

I kinda sorta feel that I might possibly, maybe, just perhaps have to buy a new ball bearing. K100RT Intermediate Gear Repair Thread 652573
... and maybe a new thrust washer.
... and maybe a new outer seal.
... and maybe a new O-ring.

BTW, that stringy thing is the seal from the ball bearing. I think it melted in the mishap, right befor the failure, and the molten parts were flung around inside the intermediate housing. I pulled it as a single piece from the inside edge all the way around.

So, if my examination of the gears comes up positive, I think I will have gotten off lightly in this mishap.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
amen ...bob ....thank hevens

good luck on the reassembly and clean up.

oh!!! and about the stainless bolt ...my opinion it that they look cool, but i have had more break off when attempting to undo than i would like .....just stick to a well chosen bolt with antifreeze / compound on the threads....

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Examined the gears very thoroughly. I'm happy to report that everything looks A-OK. I did notice that all the teeth on the starter countershaft gear are very slightly worn as there is a slight deformation in their profile. This deformation occurs only on the far side of the gear, on the edge farthest from the starter motor. The wear appears to be age related. It has caused a burr of metal to be formed on the edge of each tooth. The deformation does not interfere with the operation of the starter or the ability for the starter to turn the engine over.

Should I replace this gear or just leave it?

Also, on a totally unrelated tack, I examined my main output shaft seal. It is not leaking that I can see; it appears to be intact and doing its job at the moment. I have read conflicting advice from other people regarding changing this seal. I don't have the proper special tools to do the job either.

Should I replace the main output shaft seal as a matter of course, even though it is not leaking and I am not sure of its age anyways (i.e. it may not be original with the engine)?

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Well, Rob all things considered I guess it could have been worse. Looks like you've got the repair well in hand too. I'm going out to Portland BMW to pick up shims later today or tomorrow and will talk main seals with the 30+ year expert out there to get his take as he has sold parts for the bikes since new and owned an 85 since new as well.

OG

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
UPDATE: Ordered all my replacement parts for the repair and reassembly process. Of all things, the bearing that I destroyed is not in stock at BMW Canada. Great! It had to be ordered from Germany with a long lead time. So, here's the good part. I went to a local bearing supplier with the broken bearing and they found out it is a bog standard, commonly available item -- a 6004C3. Any good bearing supplier will have this in stock ... and cheap too. They even searched for the alternator drive seal. Unfortunately, they were out of stock on that item. So, by next week, I'll be in a position to repair the broken bearing, replace the main output shaft seal and reassemble the bike.

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Nice find Rob and thanks for passing along the info. Cool I was also informed that replacing the output shaft seal while you're in there is definitely the way to go. Hope you're able to post pics of the process as well?

OG

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
great news bob ......

dont forget to soak that seal for a few hours ....

im thinking theres lots of standard stuff in our babys .......

the other day, off the shelf bevel box output seal at less than 1/2 the price

cheers

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Hey Charlie I read that about soaking the seals on the Motobins site the other night and was wondering why this is necessary?
Thanks for the enlightenment. Smile

OG

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
not really sure og ....but i have been advised that there are a couple of seals that require this technique .

i guess that the seal itself consists of some form of fibre that reacts to the oil ....i would assume durring storage that it would dryout and become brittle (or is made that way for storage).
and may be prone to fracture if installed in a "dry state "

there will be some folks with "the knowledge " but i can be good at following instruction if i know it should be done .

besides its a long ways in ....and we dont need to go back there for a little weep huh ?

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
I hear ya mate. I'm just always curious. What other seals besides the cam chain cover needs to be soaked?

OG

Last edited by Oldgoat on Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

pjjms

Silver member
Silver member
I've not heard of seals being soaked in oil before (well not rubber seals anyway), but using grease is common. Most seals have are double lip, one on the outside to keep the crap out and the other to keep the oil in. Filling the small gap between these lips with grease stops the seal running dry. In effect just a bit of grease on the finger run around the inside diameter. Important as the seal will wear a groove in the shaft if it's dry.

I think the old style felt seals needed to be soaked in oil, but they have been gone since the 50's.

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Another seal issue I've been reading about is the main output shaft seal -- whether it should be installed wet or dry. The advice I've seen is that the new design main seal needs to be installed dry because the PTFE content of the outer coating of the seal. Do others concur?

Last edited by robmack on Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Just was out at Portland Motorcycle Rob and Jim said that the re-designed seals are indeed dry fit.

OG

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
good news og ...it makes sence ...after 20 plus years that we have newly designed materials that make life easier.... thanks for the confirmation .

on my other vehicle i have replaced quite a few seals with that new fangled nitron ....whatever its called (can never get my toungue round that one )
with extreemly good results over quite a few years now.

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Yeah, I luv it that BMW continued to improve & update the bits and pieces for the old girls. Cool

OG

mike d

Life time member
Life time member
The advice to soak the earlier seals in oil was also true for the cranshaft rear seal on the old airhead twins.

However the introduction of teflon lipped seals has now removed the need for this operation.

Mike

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Ok, so status at the moment is that I've replaced the bearing in the intermediate housing inserted a new seal as well. I changed the main output shaft seal (much easier than I thought) and am at the point to reinstall the intermediate housing and reassemble the engine.

This brings up a point that I'm hoping someone can answer. When I reinstall the clutch I have to center it. I don't have the centering tool or the lathe to turnn one. I saw Bert's suggestions for alternatives at http://k100rt.aforumfree.com/t1148-clutch-centering-tool#14417. This Papermate pen solution looks like it is just a convenient handle to grasp when shifting the clutch plate about inside the housing. I have a feeling that it doesn't actually register the center of the output shaft. Am I correct?

Thanks for the help.

japuentes

japuentes
Life time member
Life time member
Hi there, Bert´s solution is perfect, the object of the tool is to center de clutch plate hub with the gearbox´s spline in order to make it easier to install the gearbox, as the gearbox´s spline has to fit in to the hub while the clutch plate is clamped by the pressure plate. With the gearbox installed any minor misalignment will dissapear when the the pressure plate frees the clutch plate when this engages.
Bmw tool is intented for proffesional mechanics.
Best regards
JAP

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
I think I'll end this thread.

I removed the intermediate housing, diagnosed the problem (blown bearing), fixed the problem and repaired the original cause of the failure (extra washer between coupler and alternator body). So, I'm in the phase of reassembling the bike and will have the machine on the road again soon.

Super big thank you to all those great members who have helped me along the way. Also thanks for following along.

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Sorry, last post from me on this topic.

Just an update that I FINALLY got the bike together today. Started up with a little effort as new fluids had to get circulated about the engine. Engine is fast idling properly now, and revs properly. No funny, expensive noises are coming from the intermediate housing either. No immediately apparent leaks to boot. This is all really good news.

I tested the gearing while on the center stand and it is smooth! My spline lube really makes a huge difference in the shifting and clutch effort.

I haven't road tested yet since I have to finish tiewrapping all the cabling back to the frame, and attach the fairing pieces and seat. A job well done and all done within a month of spare time in my garage. I certainly learned alot, especially about not being intimidate by things mechanical when it comes to these classic K's.

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Nice work Buddy and thanks for sharing the whole process!

OG

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Good to see all has worked out well.

If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day but if you teach a man to fish you feed him for life.

Nice, and some men are never seen again by their wives 'cause they're off fishing.
Wink

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
K100RT Intermediate Gear Repair Thread 44271

geordnz

geordnz
Silver member
Silver member
Great going Robmac. Glad it's gone well and wasn't too difficult or hard on the wallet at the same time!. TWB, I love that avitar. Are you the hear, speak or see no evil.... lol

No, but maybe a bit Dazed & Confused! scratch

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum