BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Replacing fuel hoses Empty Replacing fuel hoses Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:52 am

chronostorm

Hey guys,

I have a 1987 K100RT that wasn't really taken care of the last few years. There's a lot of dried gasoline in my gas tank, and I was considering replacing all of the fuel hoses on my bike from K Freak's recommendation, I was wondering what kind of hoses I should get and also, are there any instructions on doing it?

Thanks!

2Back to top Go down   Replacing fuel hoses Empty Re: Replacing fuel hoses Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:01 am

CanberraDave

CanberraDave
Gold member
Gold member
The hose needs to be the kind that can be immersed in fuel. Otherwise you end up with what I have in the K I just bought - a black gooy mess that is not good for the fuel filter. Somebody posted a link the other day to a PDF version of the Haynes manual. That has some info on inspecting the fuel pump etc but nothing specific on the hoses. Don't know how to post a link to it but one of the gurus here will be able to help. I would also check the rubber mount holding the fuel pump as well. In mine that had also melted into a gelatinous mass. This was all due to the fuel being left a long time (years in my case).

Hope this helps.

VIN # 0097704

What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

3Back to top Go down   Replacing fuel hoses Empty Re: Replacing fuel hoses Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:09 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
hi chrono ...havent seen a good write up on the replacement process throughout ....but

you will need about 6 inches of 1/4 inch inside sae 30r10 for the breather tube inside the tank ...about a foot of 8mm inside dia 30r10 for the fuel pump to filter then to the feed internal to the tank
about 1 meter (3 feet) of 30 r 9.. 8mm id hose for the high presure line to fuel rail ...short section from fuel rail output to regulator , and a bit for the return line back to the tank from the regulator all the same stuff

explanation ...the 30r10 is rated for unleaded and fully imersed in fuel so both inside and outside the hose is the right stuff ....the 30r9 is again rated for unleaded ...but not inside tank ...the inner lining is the important reguirement on this section

hose clamps might have to be reviewed or a good way of putting them on found if you intend to keep the same ones there ....as the older hose will be thinner .

hope that helps some ..

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

4Back to top Go down   Replacing fuel hoses Empty Re: Replacing fuel hoses Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:15 am

chronostorm

CanberraDave wrote:The hose needs to be the kind that can be immersed in fuel. Otherwise you end up with what I have in the K I just bought - a black gooy mess that is not good for the fuel filter. Somebody posted a link the other day to a PDF version of the Haynes manual. That has some info on inspecting the fuel pump etc but nothing specific on the hoses. Don't know how to post a link to it but one of the gurus here will be able to help. I would also check the rubber mount holding the fuel pump as well. In mine that had also melted into a gelatinous mass. This was all due to the fuel being left a long time (years in my case).

Hope this helps.

yea, the rubber thing was a huge mess when I took the pump out Sad If the rubber mount isn't there, does it affect things a lot?

Thanks for the explanation, charlie99. Hopefully I can find everything Smile

5Back to top Go down   Replacing fuel hoses Empty Re: Replacing fuel hoses Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:30 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
good to replace the rubber holder chrono .....

note # please clean out the tank real good ....little bits of old gunk will surely kill that expensive fuel pump ...maybe acetone or some solvent might be required to really get it done properly ....dont forget to flush the fuel pump with new fuel before putting it back in ...
good luck !!!

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

6Back to top Go down   Replacing fuel hoses Empty Re: Replacing fuel hoses Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:33 am

chronostorm

charlie99 wrote:good to replace the rubber holder chrono .....

note # please clean out the tank real good ....little bits of old gunk will surely kill that expensive fuel pump ...maybe acetone or some solvent might be required to really get it done properly ....dont forget to flush the fuel pump with new fuel before putting it back in ...
good luck !!!

mmk. What's good to use for cleaning out the dried stuff in my tank?

7Back to top Go down   Replacing fuel hoses Empty Re: Replacing fuel hoses Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:52 am

CanberraDave

CanberraDave
Gold member
Gold member
What's good to use for cleaning out the dried stuff in my tank?

I haven't tried it yet, but have had carburetter cleaner suggested. I believe it is not too rough on the aluminium as a lot of carbies are made from it.

Also the rubber mount stops the fuel pump from banging around and possibly putting a hole in an inconvenient spot. Crying or Very sad

VIN # 0097704

What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

8Back to top Go down   Replacing fuel hoses Empty Re: Replacing fuel hoses Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:56 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
yeah good suggestion dave ...id be happy to go with that .....as you really dont want to melt the fuel level sender seals

cheers

9Back to top Go down   Replacing fuel hoses Empty Re: Replacing fuel hoses Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:11 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
CanberraDave wrote:I would also check the rubber mount holding the fuel pump as well. In mine that had also melted into a gelatinous mass. This was all due to the fuel being left a long time (years in my case).
My oldest K have been standing untouched in the darkest corner of my garage in 7 years 9 months with the same gasoline without any problem.

You guys got any gasoline that don`t contain ethanol down there?

It`s the ethanol which attacks the rubber parts in our old girls, and causing a lot of other problems also as the gasoline then have ability to absorb water, especially when the oldies standing still for a longer period.

Inge K.

10Back to top Go down   Replacing fuel hoses Empty Re: Replacing fuel hoses Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:50 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
For the special rubber bits this mob are OK http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/category_s/60.htm?searching=Y&sort=13&cat=60&show=20&page=2 and prices are a bit better than genuine how ever there is a fuel pump for a Mustang that is exactly right for around $80

11Back to top Go down   Replacing fuel hoses Empty Re: Replacing fuel hoses Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:22 am

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Yeah Inge K we have good stuff it is getting tougher and harder to find not to say mare expensive as well. I won't touch ethanol except for an emergency fill, although have been using it in mowers and blowers for 10 years without probs. I think you have to use it up and not leave it standing.
Regards to our Northener frds
RT

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum