BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

mook

mook
Silver member
Silver member
Hello,

I had my bike in for its MOT last week. It passed, but with a couple of 'advisories'.

One of which was:
When the handlebars are at full lock (turning right) the LH bar (EDIT: actually, the clutch lever) hits the fairing.
at full LH lock there is about 1cm between the rh bar and the fairing. So something is out of line.

Question:
What can I do in terms of adjustment of bars/fairing to remedy this?
the forks/fairing/bars all seem to be straight and not bent/twisted in any obvious way, so I think it just a matter of adjustment.

Last night I had the bars off and loosened the forks to see if there was movement, but, no cigar.

has anyone got any ideas? anyone come across this before?

thanks

Last edited by mook on Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:17 am; edited 1 time in total

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
hi mook ...yes i have had a slight missalignment of my fairing as well .

i have undone the front windsheild ,and cockpit ,loosened the lower fairing mounts ,,and undone the front / main fairing tree ....(the thing that holds it altogether and upright and in line ) from the steering head/ frame .....amazingly it moved ever so slightly more towards centre ..

so i kept presure on the mounts and redid the 4 bolts up at the frame connection and then the lower mounts ...one took a little bending to keep it in place comfortably ...but it all worked out ok ....

hope this helps some

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

mook

mook
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks, I will try that.

For illustration here's some pics hopefully showing the clutch lever fouling...

Clutch lever fouling:
LH bar fouling on fairing at full lock Pictur11

About 1cm clearance at brake lever:
LH bar fouling on fairing at full lock Pictur14

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
maybe you can tie a board between front and back wheels mook ....the idea is to get a good line up, so the steering is dead straight ......once done you can measure the gaps and clearances each side ....and compensate where neccessary ?? dont forget as the whole thing is 3 dimensional try to check the yaw (??) meaning ...if there is a slight horizontal missalignment as well ...id be guessing with all the likely hood of minor dropsy's like mine you might be able to correct this durring this retighten ?

you may be able to roll the bars back slightly to get more clearance also .

mook

mook
Silver member
Silver member
Was thinking a drop or two is likely responsible, and wondered whether or not the actual handlebar has been bent (as it would take the hit if dropped)
hard to check that without a straight set to compare with.

Another thing that struck me was that this bike could have started life without a fairing, and had it added at a later date.
(it has certainly had a respray from red-black at some point).

mook

mook
Silver member
Silver member
charlie99 wrote:you may be able to roll the bars back slightly to get more clearance also .

Rolling the bars back actually makes it worse, due to the slope of the fairing.
if anything rolling fwd would help. but that would make using the levers a little difficult.

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Is the cutch lever undamaged? On the picture it looks like it have a bit more angle than normal (but sometimes pictures don`t tell the true story).

Since the fairing been mounted afterwards, is it the genuine RS handlebar or it`s something else that have been modified? On the LH picture it`s some misalignment between the switch assy and the center panel.

One possibility is to loosen the clamp bolt and turn the lever a bit more down,
but you maybe end up with a strange angle.

Inge K.

mook

mook
Silver member
Silver member
I'm fairly sure the clutch lever is undamaged.

I don't know for certain whether or not the fairing has been mounted afterwards.. that was just me thinking out loud.
NO idea if it's a genuine RS handlebar, although it looks the part.

the bars are on risers so that accounts for the misalignment with centre panel.
i have removed the risers and the problm is still there

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
What is the frame number?

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Check the stops on the lower triple clamp and on the lower front of the steering head mine on the K1100 were a bit out of shape and the same thing was happening.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

mook

mook
Silver member
Silver member
Inge K. wrote:What is the frame number?

K Freak wrote:the stops on the lower triple clamp and on the lower front of the steering head

sorry... not sure what parts you're talking about Embarassed got a diagram?

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
mook wrote:

sorry... not sure what parts you're talking about Embarassed got a diagram?

The stops are on the lower clamp that the forks go through the clamp also goes up through the steering head to the top clamp where the top of the forks clamp.

The stops prevent the handlebars rotating far enough to touch the fairing.

If the bike has been involved in even a minor down these stops can bend or in some cases break off and that will allow the bars to rotate too far. They are difficult to see while the fairing is in place. The steering head is the place where the bearings are so the front can rotate.

TWB will be along with a parts diagram soon probably.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
mook wrote:0085994

Then it did leave the factory as an RS in 06/1985.

Inge K.

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
This is what K Freak have in mind.
[img]LH bar fouling on fairing at full lock Styrek10[/img]

Inge K.

mook

mook
Silver member
Silver member
thanks!
these are still in place.

I guess it's conceivable that there's some twist between the upper and lower clamp?

otherwise maybe the handle bars have been bent?

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
mook wrote:these are still in place.
And look undamaged?

Also check that the opposite part on the frame is straight.
This can be very difficult to judge with fairing in place, as K Freak says.
Look for marks, earlier damage.

Inge K.

mook

mook
Silver member
Silver member
looks fine.
everything *seems* straight and true

if I get a chance this weekend I'll dismantle the fairing and have a closer look

thanks again!

mook

mook
Silver member
Silver member
Ok.. I'm pretty much certain the frame/fairing is straight.

so it seems to me that it's either:

the clutch lever (there is no sign of bending/stressing so maybe it a replacement part?)
or
the handlebars themselves (although these too seem straight)

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
maybe a touch of weld on the frame stoppers might get you through the mot .....(so the bars/levers dont touch the fairing )should i suggest even a little bit of glued on hard rubber ?

mook

mook
Silver member
Silver member
Certainly worth considering.
It's just had its MOT and the guy let it through.
will need sorting for next year though..

21Back to top Go down   LH bar fouling on fairing at full lock Empty narrowing it down Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:56 am

mook

mook
Silver member
Silver member
At the weekend I went at the bike with measuring tape and my toolbox.
From measurements and detailed visual inspection, I'm certain that the forks and fairing are straight.
but just out of curiosity I loosened the fairing off and tried to move it to make a difference, nothing happening.

So I slackened off the handlebar attachment to the forks, Where those rubber bushings are, and tried to solve the problem. It helped a little but problem not solved.

I feel like the rubber bushes are old and cracked a little so I may change them as it's a cheap fix.

After that, all that's left is the handlebars themselves. not to keep to remove grips and switches but that's where I may end up in an effort to straighten them.

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
First I've seen of this thread. The bars look like RS ones. The left side of the handlebar also looks obviously tweaked forward to me.

1988 K100RS SE VIN 01477554

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
hmmm maybe a big pipe over the bars mod might be required .....bend those suckers back into place ....giggles ....from your "RAGS" guy down under

(rags=rough as guts )

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

mook

mook
Silver member
Silver member
charlie99 wrote:hmmm maybe a big pipe over the bars mod might be required .....bend those suckers back into place ....giggles ....from your "RAGS" guy down under

(rags=rough as guts )
Thought did cross my mind.. Breaker bar and 40mm socket perhaps?

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Or just loosen the two clamps on the steering head and pull the handle bar back a bit, reposition the grips/handles, and enjoy!

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland LH bar fouling on fairing at full lock Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

mook

mook
Silver member
Silver member
ReneZ wrote:Or just loosen the two clamps on the steering head and pull the handle bar back a bit, reposition the grips/handles, and enjoy!

tried that minor improvement. New rubber should help I think.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
was thinking more like a pipe that went right over the handle grips area .....to the first bend .....that way you would still keep a straight bar end for all those other things that your hands sit on

Toto_jp

Platinum member
Platinum member
@ charlie : giving away trade secrets again ? Laughing

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
Toto_jp wrote:@ charlie : giving away trade secrets again ? Laughing
LH bar fouling on fairing at full lock 44271

mook

mook
Silver member
Silver member
So.. it's been a while but the update is...
I bought new bushings for the handlebars, replaced them.
at the same time I removed the handlebar risers.
I also bought a second hand clutch lever to see if that was the problem.

In the process of removing the risers I had to realign the switchgear.
It seems this was the prob. A simple matter of loosening the two allen bolts and rotating the switchgear/clutch lever around.

All fixed now.
Relieved to know nothing was out of alignment. and now I have new bushings and a spare clutch lever.

Occam's razor applies. The simplest solution was the right one.
Shame I didn't think to do this earlier!!!

thanks all for your input!!!

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
good result mook ....cheers

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum