BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Sticking on the knee pads... Empty Sticking on the knee pads... Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:49 am

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
It's getting to the time that i need to put the knee pads and seat rubber back onto the K's tank, following a quick respray (as in taking a week to complete)
What ideas has everyone got for the best sticky stuff to use?
personally i would have just used a couple of nails but they will damage the new paint job so will have to be glue of some sort Sticking on the knee pads... 44271

..... Photo of the new colour being uploaded very shortly...

2Back to top Go down   Sticking on the knee pads... Empty Re: Sticking on the knee pads... Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:00 am

3M make a super weatherstrip adhesive 'cement' of sorts that comes in yellow (we have called it gorilla snot for yonks) and in black. It will never let go once it gets hold of two surfaces, yet remains pliable. A bead of the yellow stuff is holding the tank pad in front of the seat succesfully for two years gone by now. It's designed to hold on moulds round car windscreens and doors, & etc. The 3M part numbers are 08001 for yellow and 08008 for black.

Sticking on the knee pads... 3m10

3Back to top Go down   Sticking on the knee pads... Empty Re: Sticking on the knee pads... Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:16 am

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
I thought that 3M would make something that will work and better still to have personal experience, will have a quick google to see where i can get it over here...

Sticking on the knee pads... Imag0210

4Back to top Go down   Sticking on the knee pads... Empty Re: Sticking on the knee pads... Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:02 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
looking good twincarb !!!

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

5Back to top Go down   Sticking on the knee pads... Empty Re: Sticking on the knee pads... Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:13 pm

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
lol i don't think it's to bad at all from a rattle can! Having a bit of a problem to get a couple more cans of the same colour to finish the other panels.

And the exhaust sheild is being a PITA to remove, down to 1 screw and 1 alan bolt to remove! I may just drill them out and replace them...

Sticking on the knee pads... 169042Sticking on the knee pads... 169034

6Back to top Go down   Sticking on the knee pads... Empty Re: Sticking on the knee pads... Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:41 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
twincarb wrote:lol i don't think it's to bad at all from a rattle can! Having a bit of a problem to get a couple more cans of the same colour to finish the other panels.

And the exhaust sheild is being a PITA to remove, down to 1 screw and 1 alan bolt to remove! I may just drill them out and replace them...

Try a bit of vinegar and let it soak for a day or so, it offten works for me.

That Blue surre is nice I wanted to do the K75 in that colour but SWMBO said NO so now it is a nice dark blue.

I got a good idea from another site of making a metal plug for the filler hole and putting a hook in there so I can hang it and it hangs just right and level to paint. Saves on finding a place to put it and handling when the paint is still soft.

Last edited by K Freak on Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Blah Blah Blah and more Blah)

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

7Back to top Go down   Sticking on the knee pads... Empty Re: Sticking on the knee pads... Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:07 am

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
Down to just the allan bolt to remove, the screw took a little persuasion from a hammer but soon started to turn, It looks like the last one has welded itself to the shield, so will prob take the exhaust off and then unscrew the shield if that make sense Very Happy

The tank sat very well on my workmate bench, i didnt worry with the underside so I was able to get the paint all over it Very Happy

Sticking on the knee pads... 169042Sticking on the knee pads... 169034

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum