BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Exhaust shield Empty Exhaust shield Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:06 am

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
Just taken my exhaust shield off so i can remove the rust and then paint it, Having removed the PITA bolts it appears that mine are made from Brass.... is this normal? I checked on moto-bins and they sell steel or stainless steel.

Is there any advantage in using Brass?

There was also a small amount of heat shielding type material at one end as well, would this be standard? or just something the PO added for a fettish?

Thanks in advance Very Happy

2Back to top Go down   Exhaust shield Empty Re: Exhaust shield Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:33 am

judsrs

judsrs
Brass being a soft metal, I guess would stretch and contract more as the exhaust heats and cools maybe stopping it from seizing. Mine were all steel and all snapped of when it took it off Mad I replaced them with stainless steel and used a bit of never-seize on the threads. Looks nice and shiny too!!

3Back to top Go down   Exhaust shield Empty Re: Exhaust shield Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:34 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Can't say I have ever seen any insulation there but who knows as for the brass screws going into stainless as the captive nuts are is not real good as galvanic corosion will get it but on the exhaust where moisture build up is less likely it probably would be ok. I would use the stainless ones and use some Loctite anti sieze on the thread as the high temp wont affect it and the screws will come out easily.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

4Back to top Go down   Exhaust shield Empty Re: Exhaust shield Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:42 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
twincarb wrote:Just taken my exhaust shield off so i can remove the rust and then paint it, Having removed the PITA bolts it appears that mine are made from Brass.... is this normal?
The genuine screws from BMW is steel.

Inge K.

5Back to top Go down   Exhaust shield Empty Re: Exhaust shield Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:53 am

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
That answers that question then, I will be popping out on Monday to get some new stainless screws if i can i will get them with allan heads, only one of mine was of the allan head variety... mind you the PITA flat head came out easily enough with the help of a hammer......

The PITA screws were both brass ones!

Loctite anti sieze ... is an Oximoron that i like the sound of... bit like Hammerite smooth paint....

6Back to top Go down   Exhaust shield Empty Re: Exhaust shield Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:54 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
K Freak wrote:Can't say I have ever seen any insulation there but who knows as for the brass screws going into stainless as the captive nuts are is not real good as galvanic corosion will get it but on the exhaust where moisture build up is less likely it probably would be ok.
+1 for the galvanic reaction.....the captive nuts I got from BMW are not stainless...........but have laying
around for years...........it could be that this have been changed later on.

Have all this parts for the heatshield as spares, the only part that is stainless is the nut holders.

Inge K.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum