BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Fuel tank part??? Empty Fuel tank part??? Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:44 am

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
Ok i just found this at the bottom of my fuel tank.... but i have no idea if it really belongs in there... any ideas?

It is 4.5" long and black thats all i can describe it really...

Fuel tank part??? Imag0314

2Back to top Go down   Fuel tank part??? Empty Re: Fuel tank part??? Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:46 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
It clips onto the float arm to prevent it rattleingagainst something or othet but I cant picture it at the moment.

Mine kept falling off so it stayed on the bench last time to no ill effect.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Fuel tank part??? Empty Re: Fuel tank part??? Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:52 am

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks K
That was the only logical place i could see, but i couldnt see how it held on, and considering it was at the bottom of the tank i think it may now just go onto my workbench to Very Happy

Fuel tank part??? 169042Fuel tank part??? 169034

4Back to top Go down   Fuel tank part??? Empty Re: Fuel tank part??? Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:05 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Maybe it could be this part, that someone searches in a K11 forum. Fits the description.

Inge K.

5Back to top Go down   Fuel tank part??? Empty Re: Fuel tank part??? Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:32 am

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
That is the part Inge, I will try and take a photo so that it can be seen clearly, I cant see what they achieve mind...

6Back to top Go down   Fuel tank part??? Empty Re: Fuel tank part??? Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:58 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
i dont have mine ....and wish i did ......i can see why it fell off .....and have thought to get one , but tie it back on with a little bit of aluminium wire .....(carefullly mind you so it doesnt pierce the tank anywhere )

my float on the fuel gage makes a hell of a racket as the arm /float touches the tank wall.

i supose there is a bit of a chanel between the vent tube and the float arm that might keep it from hitting the outer/inner of the tank ...

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

7Back to top Go down   Fuel tank part??? Empty Re: Fuel tank part??? Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:53 am

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
Just a couple of photo's to show where it go's sorry about the second being out of focus....

The one that has come off is from the left where the Black circle is the one that is in place is just visable on the second photo.

Fuel tank part??? Imag0315 Fuel tank part??? Imag0316

8Back to top Go down   Fuel tank part??? Empty Re: Fuel tank part??? Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:06 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
oh !! so its a cable protection device ? so those power cables cant make spark after moving around in the tank and possibly freying the wires ?

held in by displacement ?

9Back to top Go down   Fuel tank part??? Empty Re: Fuel tank part??? Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:20 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
I was also wondering about the purpose for these parts, when I did read that thread in the other forum the first time the question did show up.

Now I know, time to check in the gas tanks........thanks for the pictures.

Inge K.

10Back to top Go down   Fuel tank part??? Empty Re: Fuel tank part??? Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:36 am

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
Not cable protection, the fuel pump is mounted on a plinth almost it isnt welded to the tank wall, instead the 2 rubber bits slid down the section... just going to put this loose one back in place it may more make more sense with a clear picture...

11Back to top Go down   Fuel tank part??? Empty Re: Fuel tank part??? Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:42 am

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
The only thing i can think it is useful for is in the event of an accident, it could potentially prevent the wall of the tank being pierced by the fuel pump bracket, good to know that BMW thought about the risk of loosing a couple of litres of fuel! Fuel tank part??? 652573

Fuel tank part??? Imag0317

12Back to top Go down   Fuel tank part??? Empty Re: Fuel tank part??? Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:04 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
ah! excelent observation

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

13Back to top Go down   Fuel tank part??? Empty Re: Fuel tank part??? Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:09 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
+1.

Inge K.

14Back to top Go down   Fuel tank part??? Empty Re: Fuel tank part??? Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:31 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Well I'll be buggered. When I got my K100 and repainted it I took the thingy out of the base of the tank and that thing was on the float arm so it stayed there when it went back together but fell of soon after so that is where I thought it was supposed to go and the PO also apparently did too.

Thats my new thing I have learned today.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

15Back to top Go down   Fuel tank part??? Empty Re: Fuel tank part??? Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:13 am

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
It's always good to say you have learnt something new each day.... I am at the age where i still find lots of new stuff every day hehe Very Happy

16Back to top Go down   Fuel tank part??? Empty Re: Fuel tank part??? Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:50 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I am old enough now that I don't know everything. There is a lot more to learn now days when I was 19 I knew everything but my Dad was as DADS (dumb as dog s) but he amazingly learnt a lot as he got old.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum