BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Rear drive breather '85 K100 Empty Rear drive breather '85 K100 Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:39 am

Lone Amigo

3 times now I've parked my bike. left it alone for a few days, and then noticed oil pushing out the rear breather cap. Is this common? I've taken it to the dealer each time. They keep replacing the o rings. Does anybody have any experience with this problem? Thanks in advance for any replies or insight.

2Back to top Go down   Rear drive breather '85 K100 Empty Re: Rear drive breather '85 K100 Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:53 am

The rear breather cap in the final drive? Is it filled to proper specification with the correct GL5 Hypoid gear oil? If it is overfilled it can expand due to heat, increase in pressure and find a way out.

3Back to top Go down   Rear drive breather '85 K100 Empty Re: Rear drive breather '85 K100 Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:48 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
This also have happened to me, one time during 25 years.......it still puzzles me how???
A few others also have this experience, you can check this thread (but it don`t give you an answer).

Inge K.

4Back to top Go down   Rear drive breather '85 K100 Empty Re: Rear drive breather '85 K100 Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:21 pm

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
It's up there with spontaneous human combustion...one of those weird things.

Personally, I think the what-is-name is caught up in the whoosit and it flows out of the thing-a-me-jig.

It would only be caused by too much oil...wouldn't it?

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

5Back to top Go down   Rear drive breather '85 K100 Empty Re: Rear drive breather '85 K100 Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:34 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
blakey wrote:It would only be caused by too much oil...wouldn't it?
Always been correct amount of oil in mine.......weird, still waiting for the second time to see this happen.

Inge K.

6Back to top Go down   Rear drive breather '85 K100 Empty Re: Rear drive breather '85 K100 Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:09 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I had it happen on the K75 not long after I changed the oil, all was ok when I checked it out so I put it down to electrical interference from the planet Zog or sunspots.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

7Back to top Go down   Rear drive breather '85 K100 Empty Re: Rear drive breather '85 K100 Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:13 am

Sometimes we can't hold down our dinner (or our drink) so perhaps, like us, these coldly efficient Teutonic machines have life in them afterall!

Rear drive breather '85 K100 Spew10

8Back to top Go down   Rear drive breather '85 K100 Empty Re: Rear drive breather '85 K100 Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:20 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Hm...didn`t think about that possibility...maybe it was old oil...didn`t check the must be used before date.

Inge K.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum