BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Back to top Go down   New tyre time - New Tyre time Empty New Tyre time Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:56 am

geordnz

geordnz
Silver member
Silver member
Hey guys. My front tyre is coming up for replacement. I've got Metzler Lasertech 100/90 18" on the front and Lasertech on the back. The back is fine at this stage (for some reason I thought the rear would wear quicker). I replaced both tyres at the end of June about 6,000km ago. The rear will probably need doing in the next month or so.
So, questions.
I've been pretty happy with the Metzlers apart from the km's and they are what the bikes came out with.
Does anyone have any sensible ideas for reasonably priced tyres that may suit the bike better and give me more km's??
As always seems the way, registration, tyres, and wof (MoT to you UK people) all due at the same time!! 🇳🇴

Oh well, I can't say I'm not getting my moneys worth, I'm lov'n it! Very Happy

2Back to top Go down   New tyre time - New Tyre time Empty Re: New Tyre time Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:06 am

Pirelli Sport Demon in 110/80V18 and 140/80VB17 rear. Yes, they will fit your stock rims with no dramas. I put a pair on last October back in Perth on a round-the-country tour and rode all of the SW corner of WA, across the Nullie, down the Eyre Peninsula, then back home through NSW to Queensland, and all round here daily and at the weekend since then and the front's still going strong a year later! A replacement back tyre went on back in early April and has 1/2 its life left. Dunno about NZ prices but expect to pay AU$160 for the front and AU$200 for the back tyre, fitted.

Last edited by Two Wheels Better on Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:06 am; edited 1 time in total

3Back to top Go down   New tyre time - New Tyre time Empty Re: New Tyre time Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:20 am

geordnz

geordnz
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks for that TWB. :-)

4Back to top Go down   New tyre time - New Tyre time Empty Re: New Tyre time Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:24 am

geordnz

geordnz
Silver member
Silver member
I'll check the prices here. I've heard good things about the pirelli's. I'd normally question the size increase, but from you TWB, I'll take your word for it. I think they may cost a bit more here. I'll post my findings.

5Back to top Go down   New tyre time - New Tyre time Empty Re: New Tyre time Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:47 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
i agree about the sport demons on the front geord ...

i recon they have saved me more than once ...even on the transform of dry to wet

currently im running a "shinko" "tour master" on the rear and all seems well so far ....ive just turned over 8000 ks on both and if i measure the shinko ...i think i still have 5 mm or more before the wear limits on the centre line ....cheep as too ....expectto get one for around a hundred

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

6Back to top Go down   New tyre time - New Tyre time Empty Re: New Tyre time Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:07 am

Remember that when you go wider in size you go lower in profile and that translates to a slightly bigger footprint but with a similar rolling radius to stock sizes. The Karamba speedo calibration programme covered extensively here doesn't even pick up the circumference difference between the two sizes.

I don't have to unbolt the rear caliper to get the back tyre out through the given space at the back. A bit of a gentle shove and she's in.

7Back to top Go down   New tyre time - New Tyre time Empty New Tyre time Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:36 am

Dennis

Dennis
Platinum member
Platinum member
I always ran a Michelin Macadam ME50 on the front because it had a centre rib rather than a centre groove. Not sure if they are still available in that size though. On the rear I ran the Metzeler Lazertec. I know they aren't a pair but I did a lot of miles 2-up fully loaded and never had any problems. The bike also turned into corners nicely with this combination. Used to get about 11,000Kms from the back and about 14,000 from the front. I'm not a heavy braker though (if possible). 46 psi in the rear and 42 psi in the front. Hope this helps

8Back to top Go down   New tyre time - New Tyre time Empty Re: New Tyre time Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:37 pm

Rickmeister

Rickmeister
Life time member
Life time member
I only just recently fitted a set of the Pirellis, as per TWB's advice (the one size bigger) They work GREAT! Running pressures up to avoid the "scalloping" effect. Will be interesting to see how many Kms I get out of them.

9Back to top Go down   New tyre time - New Tyre time Empty Re: New Tyre time Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:02 pm

Life time member
Life time member
Ulrich_Grabau wrote:I only just recently fitted a set of the Pirellis, as per TWB's advice (the one size bigger) They work GREAT! Running pressures up to avoid the "scalloping" effect. Will be interesting to see how many Kms I get out of them.

Yes - pirelli's on mine too. I'm watching with interest to see how long they last but so far they feel good.

10Back to top Go down   New tyre time - New Tyre time Empty Re: New Tyre time Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:13 pm

andyb

andyb
Silver member
Silver member
I also took TWB's advice and fitted the Pirelli Sport Demons in the bigger size, they are beaut! Got 17,000 out of the rear and front is still good at over 20,000. I just use the bike for 180k commute to work each day, so no scratching around on weekends Sad, but a very stable, and sure ride wet or dry. I havent had to up the pressures, but not travelling all loaded up. Highly recommended 'em.
Andyb

11Back to top Go down   New tyre time - New Tyre time Empty Re: New Tyre time Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:15 am

geordnz

geordnz
Silver member
Silver member
Ok. Price good for the front Pirelli found them on sale even, though the local bike shop reckons they won't last as long as the lasertech. Back, no change out of over $300 and that's if the size is available.

12Back to top Go down   New tyre time - New Tyre time Empty Re: New Tyre time Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:16 am

geordnz

geordnz
Silver member
Silver member
Anyone else tried the Shinko's. They are very well priced here.

13Back to top Go down   New tyre time - New Tyre time Empty Re: New Tyre time Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:30 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
theres always choices geord .....sticky rubber never lasts as long ....

if'n you kiwis get together i'm sure you could do a deal and buy maybe more than 1 set and hunt for prices ....the local guys ....although you like to keep them onside ...rely on the fact ,that you are desperate for tyres and will take a hit on price to get the ones you want .

shop around mate .....k freak over here, imported ....i seem to recall the good mark was 4 sets( or 4 tyres, cant remember) to get an advantage over the local prices and to my way of thinking tyres should ship - freight around "the land of the long white cloud " resonably cheep ....whats up in aukland ? or even wellington ?

even so might be a good idea to contact k-bike up in aukland huh ? he may know of some "out of the way places " that dont charge a premium

good luck buddie

oops just saw your comment on the shinkos .... everybody recons i rabbit on about them ..."shonky " shinkos"

but i can't say they are all bad .....well my experience on the rear is ok ....

i believe the old yokahama sold out all the motorcycle tech to the shinko chinese guys some time ago

14Back to top Go down   New tyre time - New Tyre time Empty Re: New Tyre time Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:23 am

The Metzeler Lasertec is 'long in the tooth' and based on a tread design from nearly thirty years ago, albeit, with a more modern rubber/silica compound, and don't 'handle' as well as the Sport Demon in any situation. Keep the pressure up (to near 38-40 psi on a K100) and they'll outlast the Lasertec too.

15Back to top Go down   New tyre time - New Tyre time Empty Re: New Tyre time Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:39 pm

geordnz

geordnz
Silver member
Silver member
TWB, will a pirelli 110/80v18 on the front be ok to use with my rear lasertech 130/90 17 until it's time to replace the rear tyre, which won't be far away?

Ordering the front one today.

16Back to top Go down   New tyre time - New Tyre time Empty Re: New Tyre time Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:15 am

It would be fine in a pinch. No worries.

17Back to top Go down   New tyre time - New Tyre time Empty Re: New Tyre time Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:49 am

geordnz

geordnz
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks for that. Went a few hundred k's on the weekend and the front is now below what I'm comfortable riding with in the wet and probably below the warrant of fitness requirement as well.

18Back to top Go down   New tyre time - New Tyre time Empty Re: New Tyre time Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:11 am

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
I'm just trying to order Pirelli front, tyre man scratching his head, but I said TWB says do it. Now one more time for me, what is the tyre pressure you say on the front TWB? I actually think I ran my Lasertec too high got a bit balder in the middle.(the tyre, before anyone jumps in)
RT

19Back to top Go down   New tyre time - New Tyre time Empty Re: New Tyre time Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:21 am

RT, I was sufferring Pirelli Sport Demon front tyre scalloping until my local experienced tyre man reinforced the recommendation I'd heard and suggested I inflate the front tyre, solo or with pillion, to a minimum of 38 psi. I'll go to 40 psi if it's hot or I'm riding at a more rapid pace or I'm 'loaded for bear' as the Yanks used to say when they had a scary Cold War enemy and thought it prudent to carry heaps of bombs under their wings. It worked. The bike even feels better on the road if it's like this. It's squirelly if it's too low. I continue with this technique to this day. In a coupla days I'll be on Pirelli radials and will have to learn it all over again.

20Back to top Go down   New tyre time - New Tyre time Empty Re: New Tyre time Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:40 pm

geordnz

geordnz
Silver member
Silver member
RT I think that's a common problem, I was running my front Lasertech religiously at 33psi as the book said. There are not many straight roads where I ride, but still the tyre has worn the centre grove out.
Thanks for all the help, I'll let you know in a couple of weeks what the new one is like with the old lasertech on the back.

21Back to top Go down   New tyre time - New Tyre time Empty Re: New Tyre time Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:03 pm

Life time member
Life time member
RT wrote:....got a bit balder in the middle.(the tyre, before anyone jumps in)
RT

I was ithchin' to jump in but you got your retaliation in first ...like the All Black trying to beat us at Rugby :-)

88KE

22Back to top Go down   New tyre time - New Tyre time Empty Re: New Tyre time Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:14 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
i think you will find the first few killometers a relearning experience georde the demons fall into corners pretty well ...not sure about the lasertechs ...but you will notice the grip real quick ...don't forget to give them a couple of hundered ks to scrub in before pushing hard mate .....good riding !!!!

23Back to top Go down   New tyre time - New Tyre time Empty Re: New Tyre time Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:42 pm

geordnz

geordnz
Silver member
Silver member
Bugga. They are out of stock on the 110/80v18. However, my local dealer can get me a 110/80H18 fitted for around $150.00. Will the lower rating make any diference (I'm not likely to be doing warp speed!). Cheers

24Back to top Go down   New tyre time - New Tyre time Empty Re: New Tyre time Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:45 pm

Get it. It's really only a sustained speed rating. No worries at all. (Update: the front Pirelli Sport Demon tyre we'd use in 110/80-18 is only available as a V-rated version, so someone's pulling a Furphy on you.)

Last edited by Two Wheels Better on Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:41 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Updated info.)

25Back to top Go down   New tyre time - New Tyre time Empty Re: New Tyre time Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:32 am

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Mine's on the way courtesy of Balmain Tyres, for anyone in NSW. My local dude was too tired to go looking for me, just said no way man, not available.
So we will see what happens on the Araluen trip.

26Back to top Go down   New tyre time - New Tyre time Empty Re: New Tyre time Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:56 am

Link Int'l in Yatala Queensland is the Australian distributor and they have stacks of them in stock. I'm looking at their stock right now online, signed in as a dealer. They sell to all motorbike workshops legitimately trading in OZ. The part number is 61-140-42 for a Pirelli Sport Demon 110/80-18 58V.

Last edited by Two Wheels Better on Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:42 am; edited 1 time in total

27Back to top Go down   New tyre time - New Tyre time Empty Re: New Tyre time Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:55 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
good news that twb ....gunna try my mate at the tyre place

dont have the part for the rear do ya ?

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

28Back to top Go down   New tyre time - New Tyre time Empty Re: New Tyre time Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:12 am

PM me Charlie.

61-134-26

Sport Demon 140/80VB17 (69V)

29Back to top Go down   New tyre time - New Tyre time Empty Re: New Tyre time Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:44 am

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
Bugger!!!!! Just got a bataxe BT 45 fitted to rear today!!

30Back to top Go down   New tyre time - New Tyre time Empty Re: New Tyre time Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:55 am

geordnz

geordnz
Silver member
Silver member
hmmm, guy at the dealer i deal with is usually pretty good. I guess I'll find out. I ordered the tyre today, will arrive on tues and will be fitted then or wed, depending when i get the wheel to them. Price includes fitting as long as I take the wheel off. No probs. Been there done that and like all things K, fairly straight forward. Gotta love em :-)

31Back to top Go down   New tyre time - New Tyre time Empty Re: New Tyre time Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:05 am

In fairness it could be that NZ's distributor gets an H-rated version as well. It might be that the OZ distributor doesn't import that one into OZ.

32Back to top Go down   New tyre time - New Tyre time Empty Re: New Tyre time Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:24 am

geordnz

geordnz
Silver member
Silver member
The price for the H is even better than the V !! So all good. In any case I guess it's worth a try. I remember being amazed at the new lasertech when I got it after the old one that had been on the bike for many years from the previous owner. So will see what this is like.

33Back to top Go down   New tyre time - New Tyre time Empty Re: New Tyre time Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:01 am

The real beauty of the front 'Demon' is when it's paired with a matching rear Demon...no guarantees that a rear 130mm Lasertec is gunna make the new front Pirelli the answer to your never-ending handling dreams. But it'll be more than a notch above at the very least.

34Back to top Go down   New tyre time - New Tyre time Empty Re: New Tyre time Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:56 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP

35Back to top Go down   New tyre time - New Tyre time Empty Re: New Tyre time Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:25 am

geordnz

geordnz
Silver member
Silver member
OK. The tyre was fitted today. But..... the one that arraived was a rear tyre. No one can get a front 110/80 18 until November (that's when the container arrives at the importers).
So I've gone for a pirelli sport d 100/90 18. The original size. I'll see if it's any better than the lasertech of the same size.

36Back to top Go down   New tyre time - New Tyre time Empty Re: New Tyre time Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:15 am

Millions have covered millions on that size. I reckon she'll be good to go.

37Back to top Go down   New tyre time - New Tyre time Empty Re: New Tyre time Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:03 am

Life time member
Life time member
Two Wheels Better wrote:Pirelli Sport Demon in 110/80V18 and 140/80VB17 rear. Yes, they will fit your stock rims with no dramas.

Well I picked up a nail in my front tyre yesterday and there's not much point in doing anything but replacing it. the tyres were well worn on the bike when I got it but there nearly down to their legal limit. So I need to start thinking about replacements.

TWB, - From your comment above what would be the advantage in the wider profile? (Currently on 100/90/18's Front & 130/90/17 Rear). The Sport Demon on the front gives good grip and confidence. There's a mitchelin Macadam on the Rear. But it will need relacing soon also. Online price seem to be about €125 rear and €110 front but most retailers seem to be favouring the Metzler Lasertech, which from experience on other bikes wears a bit quick.

88KE

Quick update - Thevisorshop.com AKA Crossan Mortorcycles, Newry (Comberjohn's neck of the woods). GBP£199.00 for the set deliverd free to IRL & UK - good price methinks!

38Back to top Go down   New tyre time - New Tyre time Empty Re: New Tyre time Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:27 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
yep a great price 88 go for it !!!

39Back to top Go down   New tyre time - New Tyre time Empty Re: New Tyre time Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:35 am

The Pirelli Sport Demon, and its predecessor, is one tyre that over the years has shown, though "oversize" in width only, to put more rubber down on the road without changing the profile on the relatively narrow K series wheels. At the various Beemer dealerships I've worked in over the years these tyres were the only brand our workshop personnel would recommend in plus-one sizes for K bikes. They stick well wet & dry, steer with a light feeling, and last that little bit less than most of the competition, which is the trade off for a decent handling tyre. Having said that, there are a lot of this forum's members, myself included, who have squeezed many many kilometres and miles out of a set of them. My preference is to you use them as a set. I'm not a tyre brand/model mixer. When the size of your "footprint" on the road is about the size of a credit card, and you choose different tyres from different manufacturers, who never tested nor intended their tyre to be run inline with another brand, to me that's a bit like having a different shoe on each foot. Opinions may vary.

40Back to top Go down   New tyre time - New Tyre time Empty Re: New Tyre time Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:19 pm

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
+1
While mixing and matching tires is not the end of the world you are definitely not getting the optimized performance out of the pair and where tires are concerned it's something I prefer to not to do.

OG

41Back to top Go down   New tyre time - New Tyre time Empty Re: New Tyre time Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:30 am

Life time member
Life time member
Thanks guys - choice made for a new set of Pirelli Demons in sizes suggested by TWB.

88KE

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

42Back to top Go down   New tyre time - New Tyre time Empty Re: New Tyre time Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:52 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
good one 88 ......i dont think you will be dissapointed

43Back to top Go down   New tyre time - New Tyre time Empty Re: New Tyre time Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:50 pm

Life time member
Life time member
I decided to give my local bike shop a fair crack of the whip before ordering off the interweb. I told him what I wanted and that I'd found a very keen online price (GBP£225.00, didn't tell him that tho'!). "Leave it with me" sez he.....and I did. He came back 24 hrs later and said he could do the set for €225.00 plus fitting, which would be cheaper if I whipped off the rims myself and dropped them in...and I did. Just collected them this afternoon €25 for fitting and balancing. so all in €250 for the set, on the bike. happy days!

Forecast for tomorrow is fine, (remarkably! Last month was the wettest on record - a normal October's rain fell in just one day) so I'll be off to scrub them in and report back, just have to fit the rear mudguard back. The Pirellis look a very different shape to what was on it so I'm expecting smoother roll into the corners.

New tyre time - New Tyre time K_lt_n12

New tyre time - New Tyre time K_lt_n13

While I was at it I removed, stripped and painted the rear rack and passed a rattle can over the heashield, it all looks reasonably respectable ....don't know why I bother doing the little bits tho', it just makes me frustrated and impatient to do the full stripdown and resto.

88KE

44Back to top Go down   New tyre time - New Tyre time Empty Re: New Tyre time Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:07 pm

Go easy on those new skins, on snot slick tarmac especially, for the first fifty miles. Don't be skittish but don't swing your knee down like at the TT or brake heavily whilst leaning over. The bike will feel more planted and stable and you'll be wondering 'how much more skinny can those chicken strips get?'

Goodonya.

45Back to top Go down   New tyre time - New Tyre time Empty Re: New Tyre time Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:30 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
good work there 88 .....enjoy !!!

46Back to top Go down   New tyre time - New Tyre time Empty Re: New Tyre time Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:43 pm

bushyintas

bushyintas
Silver member
Silver member
Just bought a set of Michelin Pilot activ (no e). These replaces the Mac 50's.

Seem fine, better than the canvas grip that was on the bike when i got it.

Bushy

k100 RT 1988 #0095723
K100 RT 1984 into Custom Single seat.  #0024503

47Back to top Go down   New tyre time - New Tyre time Empty Re: New Tyre time Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:06 pm

Life time member
Life time member
Two Wheels Better wrote:Snot slick tarmac".
What's that???? All our roads are as rough as a badgers backside Smile
Thanks TWB .... I shall ride like the wind (as in fart! Old fart at that!!) at least for the first 50miles ;-)

48Back to top Go down   New tyre time - New Tyre time Empty Re: New Tyre time Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:47 am

Bet you'll be smiling after that ride too, out slaying badgers. "What's this beast 'neath me, a new motorbike!"

49Back to top Go down   New tyre time - New Tyre time Empty Re: New Tyre time Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:46 pm

Life time member
Life time member
Well, TWB you were right on all counts after the 7 mile run into town I got a lesson in how slick new whoops can be as a car pulled out in front of me I got a little lock up n slide on the rear so I kept it tidy as I rode a lovely route thro the Wicklow mountains. I found a stretch of resurfaced road along the Avoca valley and really enjoyed riding the turns for a half hour or so. The handling is very different, more directional stability but also quicker to steer in without feeling twitchy. Great advice from the forum once again. Thanks to all especially TWB and apologies to Geordnz for hijacking the thread but it was "on topic".
88KE

50Back to top Go down   New tyre time - New Tyre time Empty Re: New Tyre time Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:43 pm

'Onya! Nice control. Glad it was an improvement for you. I and many others like that set of tyres and I've had many a good ride and covered a lot of ground on those particular skins, so much that when I went to radials I made sure they were a set of Pirellis too. Cheers, mate.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum