BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Drive shaft removal Empty Drive shaft removal Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:08 am

ushes

ushes
Hi Guys,

I've started work on the bike today, I plan to grease the clutch splines and the drive shaft splines and I cant remove the driveshaft. I've got the rear diff off but I just cant shift the driveshaft. My bike is a K100RS 16V and the driveshaft arrangement is different to all the videos etc that I've seen. The shaft is recessed in the swing arm and I've tried mole grips etc to drag it out with a snatch type jerk but it just wont budge. Would it be wise to just grease both the rear splines at the diff end and leave the front alone, or should I persevere to remove the shaft ?

Thanks

Regards

Steve

2Back to top Go down   Drive shaft removal Empty Re: Drive shaft removal Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:51 am

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Steve. There's been a fair amount of chatter about the spline lube lately, and the one thing that is consistent is, "do it!!" I would recommend persevering and getting it out for lubing. Likely someone will come around today and give you the hint you need to finish the removal. Not sure what 'mole grips' are, would I know them as 'vice grips'?

1988 K100RS SE VIN 01477554

3Back to top Go down   Drive shaft removal Empty Re: Drive shaft removal Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:06 pm

ushes

ushes
Yes, mole grips, vice grips are the same I think. In the videos I've seen, theres enough of the shaft sticking out to get the vice grips onto. Mine is different, its recessed about 5-6 inches into the swing arm. I'm just afraid that there's something holding onto it that needs to be undone.

Regards

Steve

4Back to top Go down   Drive shaft removal Empty Re: Drive shaft removal Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:33 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
The paralever driveshaft is fixed to gearbox output by a circlip, same as the monolever.
Brute force isn`t what`s needed, but a sharp snatch backwards.

The difference is that the paralever have the longitudinal moving spline between the two u-joints,
instead of FD input (fixed with a circlip also in this end).
It is importent that the two driveshaft halves being put together so the u-joints works in phase.

If you can`t remove the front half, why not remove the swingarm, then you can examine and
grease the bearings at the same time.

Inge K.

5Back to top Go down   Drive shaft removal Empty Re: Drive shaft removal Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:57 am

captaink

captaink
Silver member
Silver member
:pale: Drive shaft removal Imag0112ew.php?i=9&u=16685389]Drive shaft removal Imag0111[/url]

Definatley worth a look. Mine went crunch, doing 70mph overtaking at 06:05am 3 days ago. Needing spares now Sad

6Back to top Go down   Drive shaft removal Empty Re: Drive shaft removal Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:09 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
You usually need to remove the swinging arm but as Inge says you can do a lube of the swinging arm bearings as well. It's worth checking all that stuff any time you can.

I usually put a lever into the space in the centre of the uni joint and lever against the gearbox housing with some protection and it just pops out with a short sharp pull on the lever. Don't let it fall though.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

7Back to top Go down   Drive shaft removal Empty Re: Drive shaft removal Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:12 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Captain that looks a bit disasterous, did the front part survive.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

8Back to top Go down   Drive shaft removal Empty Re: Drive shaft removal Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:29 am

captaink

captaink
Silver member
Silver member
Yep, looks ok, its just the universal joint thats failed!!

9Back to top Go down   Drive shaft removal Empty Re: Drive shaft removal Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:56 am

ushes

ushes
OOO yeah, yours look bad. I saw a 20tooth shaft on another forum somewhere for £150, bit steep I thought.

I have the shaft out now and lubed up. I removed the swing arm as advised and greased those bearings too. Have had a bit of a problem refitting to the gearbox shaft. It went in OK initially, I then replaced the swing arm but couldn't get the rubber boot to fit over the gearbox shaft so...

I removed shaft and swing arm, replace swing arm and managed to get the boot located after a while and... I thought the driveshaft would slip straight back in through the swing arm... but its not so easy, after much time and cussing I removed the swing arm again and it looks like I've chewed the splines on the shaft a little so I'm gonna have to dress them up for the first couple of mm the get it to slide in again.. and this time I'll do it properly without the swing arm in place and... a schoolboy error and lesson learnt.Sad

Thanks again

10Back to top Go down   Drive shaft removal Empty Re: Drive shaft removal Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:50 pm

captaink

captaink
Silver member
Silver member
I just needed the back bit £100 + vat . . . . But I'm all done thanks to motorworks secondhand parts Very Happy... Lubed the spline first on gearbox bit, pushed on crankshaft hard to get click, I put a small bit of grease on the boot and pushed on swingarm must ave been really lucky because mine went on 1st time, greased and pushed hard on the new universal joint and bevel box to get click again, more grease and its slipped together. I did use the torsion bar to support the weight of rear disc etc and offered it in gently, not enough hands !!

Bike is up and running cheers

11Back to top Go down   Drive shaft removal Empty Re: Drive shaft removal Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:43 pm

ushes

ushes
Ah Good, pleased to hear it. My is coming along OK now too. Dressed the splines a couple of times and they went back Ok and clicked into place on the boxjust fine. Swing arm back on too so looking pretty good at the moment, hope to get finished before the weekend. Thanks to all for replies and advice Very Happy

Regards

Steve

12Back to top Go down   Drive shaft removal Empty Re: Drive shaft removal Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:34 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
good work cap'n......heres hoping it all goes well steve ....great news

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum