BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

andyb

andyb
Silver member
Silver member
Hi all, just wondering what is required to do this modification, I just have the normal lights, and a set of 55w fog lights, but I reckon my alternators on the way out. Not sure whether its old age, bike is just about to tick over 160,000klm, or whether this is too much load for the 33amp alternator?
cheers Andyb.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
First thing to do is fit relays for each light and you may find all is OK. Make sure there is a standard 55/60w in the headlight and a 33A alternator should do it.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
no problems for me at all andy ...i got all the same stuff

maybe you need to check the wiring....add the relays ....do a brush/regulator refurb .......

http://k100rt.aforumfree.com/t1833-85-rt-resto-my-attempt-hey-im-not-into-making-a-show-bike about may i added the relays and stuff

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

andyb

andyb
Silver member
Silver member
Hi Chalie & K, yep, foggies are through an independant loom with relay and 30amp fuse, switch mounted on the dashpad switches, trigger wire going to the parking light wire, so independant of headlight. if you guys think thats ok, then i wont bother with the upgrade, just get my hands on another 33a alt instead, mines whislting louder than the engine at 90k's, so i figure bearings are shot, and god knows what else, i did the monkey nuts a couple of weeks back, hoping that would be the fixer.........looks like i'm pulling her apart again. oh, i did order one of these........ led's....http://www.customdynamics.com/LED_battery_gauge.htm#LED_Battery_Gauge_with_Remote_Flush_Panel_Mount_LED

cheers Andyb

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
built one of those back in the eightys ....a good thing if you are in doubt about the state of battery and altenator

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Just put new bearings in the one you have and get an auto electrician to give it a going over then you know what you have. Buying a secondhand one is still a pig in a poke

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

andyb

andyb
Silver member
Silver member
Hi k, do you know what the model of the alternator is, maybe i could ring my local auto elec (in the country) and see if he has bearings.......its my transport to and from work in Melbourne (180k's each day) so dont want to be off her for long as the fuel and tolls add up quick in the 4wd...........!!!!
cheers andyb

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I have a spare here Andy I will pull it apart and find out about the bearings and let you know by tomorrow morning. I was going to do one for myself soon so why not now?

andyb

andyb
Silver member
Silver member
Hey K, wow mate thats fantastic! Very generous of you. I havent done one before, but I'm assuming you'd need pullers and stuff that I dont have? but some bearing numbers would be fantastic, so at least it'd be done fairly quick............If I ever get the old girl up that way (my folks are at Mt.Tambourine) i'll be sure to stop in and shout you a box of coldies. AbsoluteChampion. Andyb.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Hey Andy the bearing Nos are

1 x SR 6203 RSIP the 6203 is the important bit it's a sealed ball race.

1 x 394737A It's a dual row ball race and is shielded but a sealed would be a better proposition if you can get one.

You will need pullers for both races.

andyb

andyb
Silver member
Silver member
K, mate, your bloods worth bottlin'!!!!!! thankyou very much. I'll let you know the outcome. beauty mate.

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
For alternatives on the rear end bearing, have a look close to the end in this thread.
(DIY rebuild)

Inge K.

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
I fitted one of the LED units some years back and am very pleased with it as a momentary glance tells me if the output of the alternator is OK. I mounted mine in the centre of the dummy switch on the top of the forks where it looks as if it is an indicator for the switch.
Regards,
K-BIKE

andyb

andyb
Silver member
Silver member
I visited my local auto electrician on Saturday morning, first up he said I dont do bikes! Then I showed him the alternator diagram from real.oem, and the bearing numbers you gave me K. He said "its a car alternator!" and said no problems, I have one of the bearings in stock! So I reckon I can get it fully rebuilt for less than $200.00, so I'll take it in next weekend..........and thats what I will do with the LED light mounting also. Thanks so much again K. Andyb.

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Great link Inge y thanks for pulling the bearing numbers K!

OG

andyb

andyb
Silver member
Silver member
Hi K, just to let you know I got the Alternator back in on Saturday. New bearings, all new regulator unit with brushes, slip rings machined, all cleaned up and nice like a new one............for a grand total of $194.00 aussies.......quite pleased with that!!!!! thanks again for your help! ...but i still have my whistle, thinking maybe the bearings on the Aux shaft.............or something........really dont want to have to pull the engine out....cheers Andyb

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
ouch andy ......oh well at least you have as good as you can get alternator.

cheers

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum