BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition Empty Need opinion on spline condition Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:11 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Hi,

Below are some pictures of my final drive splines. I'd like your opinion on whether these splines are worn enough to warrant rebuilding. If the concensus is yes, I'll pack the drive up for shipment to Bruno's. Thanks.

Need opinion on spline condition IMG_7594

Need opinion on spline condition IMG_7596

Need opinion on spline condition IMG_7600

Need opinion on spline condition IMG_7602

2Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:53 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Definately in need of repair Rob. It would go for quite some time yet but now is the time to do it as any futher wear may render it unrepairable.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:40 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
looking a bit shark toothy in the first pic rob ...

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

4Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:21 am

zonenfeile

zonenfeile
Gold member
Gold member
i´ve seen worse,
clean ist , & Staburags & thats it .

no reason to waste money - good for another 30t km
but keep an anual eye & staburagas on that

the spline on the final drive is harder than the shaft.

but:
I'll pack the drive up for shipment to Bruno's

does somone here repair the spline on the shaft ???

K- Wiki - or rtfm first

Regards from Hamburg

Olaf

5Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:39 am

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
zonenfeile wrote:does someone here repair the spline on the shaft ???

Bruno's Machine and Repair

He rebuilds drive shaft splines on European and Japanese bikes. Results are better than OEM for less than half the cost of new parts. Bruno's is just the other side of the Province for me so cheap to ship as well.

6Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:47 am

zonenfeile

zonenfeile
Gold member
Gold member
sounds good
does someone have pics "before " and "after " repairing ??

welding heat near the rubber ??

any idea concerning the cost ?

K- Wiki - or rtfm first

Regards from Hamburg

Olaf

Dennis

Dennis
Platinum member
Platinum member
Yep, in Oz we have a tech term for that condition Zon,.............. shagged. Pack it up and send it to Brunos, I stuck the details on the other post but Robmack also nailed them here. I reckon they must do great work. Perhaps Bert knows of them ? If anyone thinks that condition is OK, I can assure them that when repaired/replaced the whole driveline is smmother and vibration-free. The sharks tooth effect it from eccentric running (or climbing) during operation, which produces the fretting corrosion. All the lube in the world won't help now because the spline assembly is seeing point contact resulting in extreme pressure at those points and degredation will soon accelerate.

8Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:20 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
10 years ago, I had the splines of the K75 rebuilt by Bruno's. (it's still in perfect condition)
I don't have any pictures, but the job was top quality.

Here is his web site with the explanation of the modification.

9Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:16 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
I passed the photos on to Bruno and asked for his informed opinion. He suggested a drive shaft spline rebuild only which would preserve the final drive pinion, since that was in not bad shape. So, based on what others have said here and his advice, I think I'll at least go for the drive shaft spline rebuild this year and see how things go over the next 50000 km.

Thanks a great deal.

10Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:37 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Robmack,

This is what I call honesty!
This guy will not try to have you spending money when not needed.
This is why I have always recommended him. Just my experience, and I've never heard any complain about his job or service.
If he finds something else wrong, he will point the problem to you and ask if you want to fix it (at extra cost).
Your shaft is in good hands and I wish that we have more people that we can rely on like Bruno.

CF

11Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:31 pm

Rickmeister

Rickmeister
Life time member
Life time member
Bit the bullet the other day and decided to pull the swingarm off and lube the gearbox end of the drive shaft. All with the great assistance of bro Tom, who only recently did the same to K75.

Inspection of the final drive end of the drive shaft revealed the following...

Need opinion on spline condition Dscf1816

Aaaagh!! Fuctus Cactus Maximus!!

Phone calls to the BM Shop in Brisvegas...$590 for a second hand one in good condition.
Call to Munich Motorcycles in Perth...$300 to weld on a new spline.
Call to Brisans (Newcastle)...$950, 6 weeks delivery!!!
Motobins in the UK...repaired only, GBP159.
Brunos in Canada replied to my email, still lots of roubles.

Bro Tom has a mate working in a motorcycle wrecking shop in Newcastle...phone call...yep. I just happen to have one here, and in pretty good nick. You're not going to believe this...$80!!

Sold, all lubed with the correct stuff, all back together, a few laps around the block and going great!

The "slack" in rotational movement of the rear wheel, in 1st gear on the centre stand, has reduced from 72mm to 60mm.

Thanx, Tom!!

12Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:32 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Good score Ulrich!

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

13Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:38 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
thats marvelous ulrick ...i recon you two did well there ...

good onya tom

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

14Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:40 pm

bushyintas

bushyintas
Silver member
Silver member
Hi Ulrich,

Where did you measure the rotational movement in the rear wheel?

As the further out from the hub the larger the distance measured. I'm guessing the road surface area of the tyre, but thought I'd ask.

Just thought I'd check mine to compare.

Regards Bushy

k100 RT 1988 #0095723
K100 RT 1984 into Custom Single seat.  #0024503

15Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:37 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
bushy we did a little survey a while back .....put bike on centre stand and in first gear ,,,,at the outside of the tyre ...markit at one end of the travel (slack takeup of drive train ) then go to the other end of travel by mooving the rear wheel and mark it ..(in the same place in relation to the ground ) then measure the distance ....50 odd mm seems to be verry common

16Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:46 pm

Tom G

Tom G
Life time member
Life time member
G'day Charlie,Thanks for that info.on measuring the "slack" rotational movement in the rear wheel.Will do a measurement.ASAP. Yep,that driveshaft Rick bought was a bargain...nearly feel like throwing in a carton of beer as well......Cheers Tom

What's that old saying.. If you don't know how something works,you have no chance of fixing it.. how true

17Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:56 pm

Tom G

Tom G
Life time member
Life time member
G'day Olaf,Just found out various types of Starburags are available from Browns Transmission & Bearing Co. Which one do you use for the driveshaft splines? Star....NBU12., NBU12/300 or NBU30.Vielen Dank aus Newcastle Australien. Tom

18Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:17 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
robmack wrote:I passed the photos on to Bruno and asked for his informed opinion. He suggested a drive shaft spline rebuild only which would preserve the final drive pinion, since that was in not bad shape. So, based on what others have said here and his advice, I think I'll at least go for the drive shaft spline rebuild this year and see how things go over the next 50000 km.

Thanks a great deal.

good work rob ...better to catch it before it develops too far ...cheers

19Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:03 am

walfish

walfish
Life time member
Life time member
Clymer shows Staburags NBU 30 as a spline lube.

Lazyboy

Lazyboy
Silver member
Silver member
I have been trying to read all the comments on spline lube since discovering this great forum and not realising how IMPORTANT SPLINE LUBE SERVICE IS. I went into a panic as mine has never been done since new. Got stuck into it fearing the worst and what a pleasant surprise to have found it looking like new. Having looked at all the photos posted I am sorry that I did not take any of what mine looked like. The only explanation I could venture is the fact that I am 700Km away from the coast and at a altitude of 1240metres above sea level with no humidity conseqently No Rust on the bike and it is very seldom that you have to ride in the rain. Anual rainfall +- 600mm It would be interesting to hear comments/opinions on dry versus wet/high humidity climates effect on Spline Wear.

Last edited by Ronnie Cantamessa on Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:48 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Spelling correctio and try to Post as New Topic)

21Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:15 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
In theory it shouldn't make any difference but I would say that condensation from high humidity would help get some moisture in and so some detetioration of the grease but probably no where near as much as wety weather would cause.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

22Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:36 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
I received the repaired drive shaft today. The work looks top-notch.

This shows how he welded on a new spline after cutting off the old one.
Need opinion on spline condition IMG_0142

This shows the perfect splines as well as the grease cup. It was further down the shaft than I had imagined. It certainly won't retain the grease within the spines but will stop it migrating down the drive shaft.
Need opinion on spline condition IMG_0144

I'm looking forward to buttoning up the final drive on the bike this weekend.

23Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:09 am

Tom G

Tom G
Life time member
Life time member
G'day Charlie,Managed to get around to measuring the rotational 'slack' in the back wheel.Turned out to be about 48mm.So all seems good in that department.Cheers Tom

24Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:29 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
sounds good tom ...that falls to the lower side of the casual measurements i have noticed ....good onya !!!

great work rob ....just be aware of the length of the new splines .....i had a repaired one also that i obtained .... the additional spline length bound on the pinion in the normal unloaded position by about 3mm .

all im sugesting is have a look at the whole thing as you do the drive shaft up again ...would hate to see someone riding round with the spline binding on the end of the pinion and causing far more wear than we could possibly imagine .

just a heads up

25Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:58 am

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Robert, I've just measured a standard shaft and the distance from the rubber to the end is 59mm.
(Prompted by charlie's advice)
Cheers,
Paul.

26Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:55 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
nice one paul...

27Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:51 am

CanberraDave

CanberraDave
Gold member
Gold member
Okay guys my pinion shaft on the final drive is shot. Already had a new spline put on the shaft (not used yet). I was hoping to get a new crown and pinion for my diff. No luck so then I thought maybe a new diff. Again no luck.

Now to the question. Has anyone in Aust had a pinion shaft repaired by Brunos recently and if so how much did it cost including postage there and back?

Cheers for any help.

VIN # 0097704

What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

28Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:01 am

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Sry Dave I'd like to know as well.
Here's my spares bike shaft for an opinion as well, might as well get a group hug in case I find out my real bike is shagged.
Need opinion on spline condition P1010013
Input end above.
Need opinion on spline condition P1010014
Output end (final drive thingo).
RT

29Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:04 am

CanberraDave

CanberraDave
Gold member
Gold member
That spline on the output end looks much better than mine did. The only problems is my pinion shaft on my diff is knackered as well.

The other thing to check is the uni joint. The bloke getting my shaft done for me said the uni was OK so at least that is one good piece of news.

VIN # 0097704

30Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:58 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
As C.Dave says it could be smart to check the uni joint:

Need opinion on spline condition Drivle10

Inge K.

31Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:25 am

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
I had one like that after 4 years use as an outfit. Expecting it to be a regular problem I bought a new one as a spare for the next time it failed......... I'm still waiting 20 years on. Very Happy
Paul.

32Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:48 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
The universal looks fine but that's just me staring at it. Maybe I'll get
someone to look at it before I replace it.
I thought I'd swap this one over to my bike and get the old one cut and welded as a way of getting it done without being off the road for too long. I'm sure to find something else while I'm in there. My tyre puncture turned out to be a small Allen key, not mine I have to say. I can't believe it was able to flip up and stick in. Fixed it myself with my
trusty repair kit. At least I know I can do that on the road now.
Cheers.

33Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:16 pm

Life time member
Life time member
Nice to have the confidence that comes with knowing you can repair something on the road. RT.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

34Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:27 pm

CanberraDave

CanberraDave
Gold member
Gold member
RT, I have a mate who told me the Uni joint can be repaired without cutting and welding. Evidently the uni is one that is used in a tractor of some description.

I will get the details and post them up.

VIN # 0097704

35Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:37 am

CanberraDave

CanberraDave
Gold member
Gold member
I have been told that the uni joint for the K100 is available from a place in Fyshwick, Canberra called Tractor Repairs. I would hazard you will need to take the old one in to match it up. I do not have part number, sorry.

VIN # 0097704

36Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:52 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
makes sence dave ..i have seen lots of uni joints of similar size ,,,on pto's on the back of tractors

37Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:57 am

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
On me Algenon, I'm going in.
So much rain here so I decided to get this done (started anyway).
Got the shaft out and it looks ordinary, so will replace with my spare one for now. I have a question before I get the swing arm undone.
Is it necessary to disconnect the clutch cable at the arm end in order to take the swingarm off? The book says to but also says to take muffler off which isn't necessary. I don't want to upset anything that's working well. (also cannot get the screws out of the Disc rotor to replace it, they have burred.? Maybe a freeze spray.)
Thanks
RT

38Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:12 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
hey rt ....why do you need to get the disk off ?

all that you need to do ...

rear mudguard off ....2 screws and 2 nuts in the tailpiece

rear wheel off ....4 bolts ....put it in first to undo them

undo the caliper fully (2 screws )

get hockey straps to support the swing arm while you remove the rear

wrap them over the seat and swing arm and tension them up

drive suspension /shock absorber 1 bolt

the 4 bolts round final drive housing ...including the disk

pull the drive shaft out

side foot plates off .. 3 bolts each side + panier frames 2 x 2 bolts

3 bolts on the right side swing arm retainer

big bolt on the left side

the whole thing should fall on the floor....oops put a cushion there first huh ?

39Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:20 am

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Hi RT,
You'll probably have to drill out the disc screws, countersunk screws have such a large surface area to grip.
Being socket heads the drill will be centred OK and you will be left with about 3mm sticking out of the rear drive, which, with heat/release oil should come out without too much trouble. (He said hopefully).
Good luck,
Paul.

40Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:46 am

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Sorry Charlie forgot to mention my rotor is 3mm which may explain lack of braking in the rear. My spares bike is a whopping 3.5 mm so thought I'd do a quick changeover. No such luck. I need to buy a new one anyway but now I've screwed the pooch. I shouldn't have mentioned those soft screws in another post a while ago. A pox upon myself. You didn't mention the clutch cable? I'll take that as a no.
Thanks Sidecar Paul, I thought as much. I have the final drive off so may as well do the lot.
Cheers and good night from me.

Last edited by RT on Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:52 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Soggy brain typing)

41Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:56 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
sorry rt... forgot that bit ...you may find it advantageous to release the clutch cable, i think the swing arm fits in behind it ...easy as though ...you dont have to remove it completly

42Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:59 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
A tip: before removing the LHS svingarm hinge bolt, clean (and lubricate)
the threads that is visible between the gearbox and svingarm...
with a stiff toothbrush or similar....fine thread aluminium bolt.

Inge K.

43Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:00 pm

col

col
Life time member
Life time member
good tip inge would not take much to wreck the bolt

44Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:03 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Don`t ask me how I know.......... Embarassed

Inge K.

45Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:41 pm

col

col
Life time member
Life time member
as long as we learn from our mistakes sorry i mean others mistakes

46Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:52 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
The mistake was....that it wasn`t my bike......

Inge K.

47Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:59 pm

col

col
Life time member
Life time member
ouch that would have hurt the pride a bit

48Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:51 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
sidecar paul wrote:Hi RT,
You'll probably have to drill out the disc screws, countersunk screws have such a large surface area to grip.
Being socket heads the drill will be centred OK and you will be left with about 3mm sticking out of the rear drive, which, with heat/release oil should come out without too much trouble. (He said hopefully).
Good luck,
Paul.

I replaced my disc about 3 month ago. to remove the countersunk screws, I used a centre punch on the head of the screw. You may also have to use a regular punch and 'wack' the screw head really hard. This may free up the thread. Don't expect to get the screws off just with the 5 or 6mm allen key.

Dennis

Dennis
Platinum member
Platinum member
Be very mindful about "taking a centre punch to the c/sunk head screws and giving them a good hard wack". You will be transmitting the impact forces through the FD crown bearings and it's possible to introduce a condition called false brinelling. This is the start of premature bearing failure as it causes an indentation in both bearing raceways at the pitch of the rolling bearing elements (balls or rollers). Easy to do becuase the bearings are not visible to remind us of the consequences. In this instance it's better to apply intense, localised heat (say No. 12 oxy welding tip) to the centre of the c/sunk head screw then undo as normal. Normally the direct hit on the head works well, as long as no other damage can be done.

50Back to top Go down   Need opinion on spline condition Empty Re: Need opinion on spline condition Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:08 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Ok all taken on board, I have the beast apart, and Inge's tip about cleaning that thread was great. Swing arm off but it was too dark to check the output shaft so today will tell the truth. Then I can attack the rotor.
Too much rain going on here at the moment so I'm not missing any riding.
Cheers RT

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum