BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Moto Smith

Moto Smith
Silver member
Silver member
I have the high-altitude correction port on my bike.

My cross country route puts me above 5,000 ft for a few days with two high passes at near 11,000 ft.

I don't fancy chopping into the wiring loom, so I'm looking for the part number for the correction plug - I cannot find the part on any diagram.

Cheers, M

http://www.markaspery.com

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
wow ...big hills ...

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Contact ring 61 13 1 459 504.

Inge K.

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
IIRC its just a resistance. Someone might know the value.

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland BMW part # for high altitude plug needed Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
yes your right renez ...i saw it somewhere ......um 5000 ohms or something ooops checking around .....its just a link between a connector in the wiring harness ....i have seen an unterminated 2 pin connector in the harness under the tank ...i wonder if this is specific to mine or exists on all k bikes ....obviously some have the external plug-adaptor thingy fitted to the frame .

looking at berts wiring diagram ...it connects between a red green and a black which goes to pin 11 on the injector control computer

apparently it leans out the mix by about 10 %

hope that helps

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
charlie99 wrote:...i wonder if this is specific to mine or exists on all k bikes ....obviously some have the external plug-adaptor thingy fitted to the frame .
On US models it should be found under the left hand battery cover.
Since the wiring harness part # is the same on all markets, it`s just put away under the tank on others.
EFI wiring is different on US models.

Remember from different US forums, that it isn`t unusual to connect a switch to the connector.
Then it`s no need to stop and mess with battery covers and connectors.

Inge K.

Last edited by Inge K. on Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:28 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Brain error.)

Moto Smith

Moto Smith
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks to all.

Wolf Creek Pass - 10,550ft
Slumgullion Pass - 11,361ft
Eisenhower tunnel / Loveland pass 11,990ft

To name but three...

Thanks for the part # Inge K

Part retails for US$ 7.90

Cheers, M

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Charlie said 5000 ohms and looking at the circuit dia it would have to be a resistive connection can anyone confirm this.
What I am looking at is a leanburn system that could be used for better economy. I live at 3000ft and I get slightly worse economy than I do when at sea level and am thinking of an inbetween setting.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
As I understand it from different US forums, it`s just a jumper...and should be used from 4000ft and above.
I think Charlie came to the same conclusion............a few words after 5K ohm.

Moto Smith could maybe be able to confirm if it`s any resistance present when he got his part in house.

Inge K.

Moto Smith

Moto Smith
Silver member
Silver member
At US$8.00 for the part, It's not worth mucking around with, IMHO.

If it should have some specified resistance, then a straight short between the two wires seems that it may, over time, burn something out - and that sounds a lot more expensive than $8.00.

Having run a CV carb back and forth across the same route (with 1 over on the pilot jet), it can be sometimes quicker to push the bike. 650cc single cyl.

I did run a modern Triumph Bonnevile (890cc FI) over the route and that was a significant improvement.

I'm hoping that 1000cc and a couple of extra cylinders will make the world of difference, but I've been wrong before...

Cheers, M

flatlandflyer

I bought a cabin up in that area (actually south of Denver) Had the chance to ride a K100LT up there(sets @ 8000 ft.)It made reasonable power but lost some of it's punch.Also took my 750 VFR Honda (CV carbs) up there, it was a bit weaker.I came to the conclusion that a 14.5 to 1 AFR at those altitudes = no power cause there is no air Crying or Very sad.I've wired a switch into my 89 K100RS,because I'll be running back and forth from 2500 ft to 8000.For me it'll be easier cause I tend to lose little bits.Haven't rode it yet but connected up it makes an big difference in the way the old girl sounds.She is not happy @ 2500 feet in the high alt. mod, and does not want to start.
Gimpy

Moto Smith

Moto Smith
Silver member
Silver member
flatlandflyer wrote:I bought a cabin up in that area (actually south of Denver) Had the chance to ride a K100LT up there(sets @ 8000 ft.)It made reasonable power but lost some of it's punch.Also took my 750 VFR Honda (CV carbs) up there, it was a bit weaker.I came to the conclusion that a 14.5 to 1 AFR at those altitudes = no power cause there is no air Crying or Very sad.I've wired a switch into my 89 K100RS,because I'll be running back and forth from 2500 ft to 8000.For me it'll be easier cause I tend to lose little bits.Haven't rode it yet but connected up it makes an big difference in the way the old girl sounds.She is not happy @ 2500 feet in the high alt. mod, and does not want to start.
Gimpy

Did you wire the switch straight across - no resistance wire?
I can understand the switch over the do-dad - for ease of use and always being in the same place twice (and not in the pocket of your other jacket!)

I would still like to know if any resistance is present in the factory part - more for my own edification.

I have to say the 14.5 to 1 or Wheaties for breakfast - neither make good headway at altitude. Rolling Eyes

Cheers, M

flatlandflyer

Did you wire the switch straight across - no resistance wire?
I can understand the switch over the do-dad - for ease of use and always being in the same place twice (and not in the pocket of your other jacket!)

I would still like to know if any resistance is present in the factory part - more for my own edification.

I have to say the 14.5 to 1 or Wheaties for breakfast - neither make good headway at altitude. Rolling Eyes

Cheers, M

[/quote]
I went sraight across, my understanding was that the high alt. plug just a jumper.It is wired through a double pole, double throw switch,one side wired to LED's ( one red, one green) so that I can tell at a glance witch way it's set.
Gimpy

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
this weekend i have seen some under seat computers ....and our models arent even fitted with the socket for the pin 11 connection in the under seat computer ......i guess it makes sence there arent that many real high places around here ..but i think the efi computer does have the pin 11 ....

k freak i wish i knew the mapping relationship of the temp sensor and mixture .....it would seem to me that we could look up the temp sensor graph and apply a shut resistor to lower the resistance some what ...im thinking in the range of 10 s of ohms change ...so possibly at 85 c the resistance was supposed to be lets say 50 ohms ..if we were to put a 200 ohm resistor in parallel the change applied ...(or seen by the brain ) would be a little lower than normal lets say 45 - 40 ohms ...i wonder if this is worth trying ....mind you it really wouldnt function verry well till normal temperatures ( above 60 c ) were attained ...

just an "out-there" suggestion ...

hope its worth thinking about ...as i recon it could be mapped for stage changes ie ....once 100 ohms is acheived apply map (injector durration ..X = mixture ratio x )

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
charlie99 wrote:this weekend i have seen some under seat computers ....and our models arent even fitted with the socket for the pin 11 connection in the under seat computer ......i guess it makes sence there arent that many real high places around here ..but i think the efi computer does have the pin 11 ....
Thanks Charlie!

By this I`ve just found out that I did double check part# on the wrong harness in a previous post.
(main harness, which should have been EFI harness)...........disc error in my brain now and then.

Have to go back and modify my earlier post.
BTW efi computer have the same part# in all markets........did scan my brain for errors, before checking #.

Inge K.

dbc58

I have two unused connectors on the left side. Is the altitude connector the round 2 pin rubber plug taped to the frame or the flat plastic two pin plug under the tank? I can't tell by wire color without cutting into the harness.

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
The altitude plug has a round connector.

Inge K.

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
That part number, which would be just about useless in OZ as our tallest peak, ancient and eroded Mt Kosciuszko in the Snowy Mountains of New South Wales, is barely 2228 metres (7310 feet) high and you can't ride or drive to the top anymore since 1976. But it'd cost $19.48 here, as a note about price differences.

The Mystic, Big Block, 2nd K1200RS, K12R & K13 are running & ridable.

japuentes

japuentes
Life time member
Life time member
Hi there, mine has the connector and I had the same question until found (dont remember where) that it was just a jumper. I put a bit of wire for my annual trip to andes mountains on wich we have to ride over 4000mts and the bike works better with the jumper when riding over 2000mts.
Best regards
JAP

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
good report jap ....good to see you here mate

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi JAP,
Great to see you posting.
Regards,
K-BIKE

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum