BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Temperature sensing unit Kaput Empty Temperature sensing unit Kaput Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:14 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Has anyone got a circuit dia for the temperature sensing unit. Not just the pinout but a full circuit for the dirty little critter.
I have 2 of the things here and neither will see the earth from the sensor.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

2Back to top Go down   Temperature sensing unit Kaput Empty Re: Temperature sensing unit Kaput Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:38 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
isnt the earth ....um the earth ..ive got a feeling that youve lost a track or a low value resistor in there somewhere

wonder if inge has a circuit somewhere ...?

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

3Back to top Go down   Temperature sensing unit Kaput Empty Re: Temperature sensing unit Kaput Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:19 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Lets use chat mate see ya there

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

4Back to top Go down   Temperature sensing unit Kaput Empty Re: Temperature sensing unit Kaput Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:01 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
ok done

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

5Back to top Go down   Temperature sensing unit Kaput Empty Re: Temperature sensing unit Kaput Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:56 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
Temperature sensing unit Kaput Temo_s10

symptoms are ... fan wont run at boiling point .....(temp sensor) fan relay turns on when input is grounded

kfreak mentioned that he was getting about 190 ohms in boiling water ....this suggests to me that he was measuring the 2 terminals as one sensor ....which in fact would double the normal reading

(given that he also lives at altitude the water would boil at a slighty lower or higher boiling point i figure lower ,,, that might equate to 50 - 75 odd ohms at sea level boiling point ?)

the trick is ...that you measure between 1 leg and the body on each sensor ...most importantly make sure the body of the sensor is actually earth when fitted on the bike

in fact im going to modify mine and tap a thread in the nut housing of about 3 mm and fitt up a additional earth cable that can be removed ...or a good sized brass washer with a tab that will mate up with the threaded section ...and a tab i can solder to or run a bolt through ...........and run it to a known earth point ... (second option sounds the most reliable )

results next week sometime ...i hope

6Back to top Go down   Temperature sensing unit Kaput Empty Re: Temperature sensing unit Kaput Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:57 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
charlie99 wrote:Temperature sensing unit Kaput Temo_s10

symptoms are ... fan wont run at boiling point .....(temp sensor) fan relay turns on when input is grounded The fan won't run at around 113deg and it should cut in at 103deg and at that temp the resistance of the fan sensor is 190 ohms

kfreak mentioned that he was getting about 190 ohms in boiling water ....this suggests to me that he was measuring the 2 terminals as one sensor ....which in fact would double the normal reading I was measuring from the fan terminal to earth not across the two terminals.

(given that he also lives at altitude the water would boil at a slighty lower or higher boiling point i figure lower ,,, that might equate to 50 - 75 odd ohms at sea level boiling point ?) I live at an altitude of 900metres so that makes the boiling point 99.67deg

the trick is ...that you measure between 1 leg and the body on each sensor ...most importantly make sure the body of the sensor is actually earth when fitted on the bike thats right

in fact im going to modify mine and tap a thread in the nut housing of about 3 mm and fitt up a additional earth cable that can be removed ...or a good sized brass washer with a tab that will mate up with the threaded section ...and a tab i can solder to or run a bolt through ...........and run it to a known earth point ... (second option sounds the most reliable )

results next week sometime ...i hope

I will pull the sensor out tomorrow and test it in boiling water along with a spare I also have and will see if there is a variation.

7Back to top Go down   Temperature sensing unit Kaput Empty Re: Temperature sensing unit Kaput Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:39 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
kfreak mentioned that he was getting about 190 ohms in boiling water ....this suggests to me that he was measuring the 2 terminals as one sensor ....which in fact would double the normal reading I was measuring from the fan terminal to earth not across the two terminals.

didnt mean to say that you were specifically measuring across the 2 terminals ...was just commenting that the figuers looked like that ...if there was no proper earth reference then infact that is exactly what i would expect to see ...something that looks like measuring 2 sensors ...plus losses through other paths

good luck mate ,,,it will come together with some more investigation im sure

8Back to top Go down   Temperature sensing unit Kaput Empty Re: Temperature sensing unit Kaput Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:37 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
The fan should start at 175 ohm +/- 10% (103oC).
The warning light should show up at 143 ohm +/- 10% (111oC).

So at 190 ohm it seems like that you`re not only in the neighbourhood, you
are at the fence......ready to jump.

Inge K.

9Back to top Go down   Temperature sensing unit Kaput Empty Re: Temperature sensing unit Kaput Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:57 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Inge K. wrote:The fan should start at 175 ohm +/- 10% (103oC).
The warning light should show up at 143 ohm +/- 10% (111oC).

So at 190 ohm it seems like that you`re not only in the neighbourhood, you
are at the fence......ready to jump.

Inge K.
Thanks Inge
It looks like the resistance is just a bit high so a cleaning of the earths is first up seems to be the thing.
I originally thought it may have been the unit because I could get the fan to run with direct battery but not by earthing the sensor wire but then I discovered that the engine needs to be running with the FI relay operated.

10Back to top Go down   Temperature sensing unit Kaput Empty Re: Temperature sensing unit Kaput Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:18 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
thanks inge ... dayum i must have been thinking the water temp sensor at the water pump which i was working on recently ,,,sorry for the bum steer kf ...i was certain i got it right ,,, smaks head

11Back to top Go down   Temperature sensing unit Kaput Empty Re: Temperature sensing unit Kaput Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:26 am

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Excellent info guys. Cool

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum