BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   What oils to use Empty What oils to use Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:14 am

stoofy

Very Happy Hi all, I have a 1988 k100RT, it has done 150,000 and I am going to give it a full service/overhaul. Was wondering what would be the best oil for an older motor, name, grade etc. Also for the gear box and diff and also what grease to use on the clutch servo etc. Cheers Steve

2Back to top Go down   What oils to use Empty Re: What oils to use Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:29 am

zonenfeile

zonenfeile
Gold member
Gold member
1. 15/40 or 20/50 - cheap - no syth. oil

2.Castrol MTX 75W140 (16 € /Liter)
MOTUL Gear FF Competition 75W140 (19,90 € /Liter)

3. Staburags NBU30 PTM

4. Read the Manual first: manual Download

K- Wiki - or rtfm first

Regards from Hamburg

Olaf

3Back to top Go down   What oils to use Empty Re: What oils to use Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:34 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
hi stoofy

i use calibre formula 50 for the motor (20-50 multigrade )....with every forth fill with claibre formula diesel (helps keep the inards clean and remove the buildup of residue around the crankase and sprag - starter clutch)....both quite cheep (made by caltex ) and available from supercheep

gearbox and diff oils i use castrol epx 80-90 a good and tested gl5 grade

many have different opinions and likes and dislikes but these are my thoughts replace the filter after every second (oil change at 5000)

hope you got your ignition problems sorted out ...good riding mate

4Back to top Go down   What oils to use Empty Re: What oils to use Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:54 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Yipppeeeee...an oil thread!

My opinion only.

1. Valvoline XLD 20W50 is what I use in my bike (so far my old EL Falcon has done 330,000k's using this stuff, so that's proof for me). Doesn't burn or use oil. Your environment/temperature should dictate what grade to use. Change oil and filter every 10,000k's.

2. Choose between mineral Castrol EPX 80W-90 or the synthetic Castrol Syntrax 75W-90 (available in Australia) for your gearbox.

3. Guard Dog Moly for my splines. Easily/relatively cheaply available from the US of A. A small tub will be handed down through the family for years to come.

Others will chime in.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

5Back to top Go down   What oils to use Empty Re: What oils to use Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:05 am

stoofy

Thanks for the replys I will go look at oils tomorrow, got the ignition all sorted, was the hall effect sensor. Also had trouble losing power to the lights, horn, indicators etc, turned out to be starter motor bushes, bloody weird bikes lol but great fun to ride

6Back to top Go down   What oils to use Empty Re: What oils to use Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:26 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
ve vill change how vou finnk ....say afteren me .....brovn is da earth cable .....again brovn is da earth ....

veird ,,,,there is no such thing ....

giggle

ok ok so their weird ....get over it ...class dissmissed

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

7Back to top Go down   What oils to use Empty Re: What oils to use Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:04 pm

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
Now Now Charlie no more Coffee after tea ok?

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

8Back to top Go down   What oils to use Empty Re: What oils to use Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:10 am

col

col
Life time member
Life time member
i think charlie been sniff-in the deoxite bottle again

9Back to top Go down   What oils to use Empty Re: What oils to use Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:49 am

Dennis

Dennis
Platinum member
Platinum member
Yep, stick some diesel oil in her every now and then, I use it all the time actually, as the spec in the book says HD, which stands for High Detergent, not Harley Davidson. A little side line though, if you have HD riding mates, advertise your used engine oil at a cheap price, it's fine for those old clunkers even after 10,000 K's. Jeez they hate it when we cane them !

10Back to top Go down   What oils to use Empty Re: What oils to use Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:45 pm

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
Dennis the Penrite i used was confiscated by my brother each time I changed it. He reccons I didnt even dirty it in my bike so it went in his ute. chances are he is still awaiting my next change so he can pinch it too. Might swap to Nulon to see how it goes.

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum