BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   LED gauge update? Empty LED gauge update? Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:10 pm

badamack

badamack
i would like to update all of my gauge lights to LED.
i saw on OG's (AMAZING) restoration thread that he likes the 'inverted' lens type.
but, i need to know how many and which size(s) to order.

thanks in advance for your help.
Adam

PS:
i just found this on OG's thread:
"I just heard from Tracy and the bulb we need is a Ba7s and here is the link: http://autolumination.com/74.htm

is this still the latest and greatest thinking on the subject?
questions about quantity still stand.

thanks again,
adam

Last edited by badamack on Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:59 am; edited 2 times in total

2Back to top Go down   LED gauge update? Empty Re: LED gauge update? Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:48 pm

brickrider

brickrider
Life time member
Life time member
I get an error message when I click the hotlink above :-(

3Back to top Go down   LED gauge update? Empty Re: LED gauge update? Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:07 pm

badamack

badamack
sorry, link fixed.
i also did a little more digging and for what it's worth - hopefully to help the next rider who finds my question:

i actually wound up buying LEDs from: http://www.superbrightleds.com

there are 9 indicators but i will replace the "low voltage" light with a new incandescent (194) instead of LED.

so i purchased:
( 8 ) Indicators: WLED-x-x (194 style) (there would be 9 total with the "low voltage" indicator.)
( 5 ) Backlights: WLED-x4 (194 style/Green)
( 2 ) Turn Signals: BA9s-x-x-12 Wide (BA9 style)

note: some have purchased all white indicators.
i chose to go with amber for the choke light, blue for the high beam, green for the neutral and the 5 back lights, and red for the other 5 (i also purchased an extra red for the "low voltage" incase i change my mind).

fingers crossed it will all look good and work well.
i'll post a picture as soon as i have it done.

thanks k100 forum you rock!

4Back to top Go down   LED gauge update? Empty Re: LED gauge update? Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:42 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
good work !!....hope you can post some pics when fitted up

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

5Back to top Go down   LED gauge update? Empty Re: LED gauge update? Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:00 am

beanoldboy

beanoldboy
Life time member
Life time member
Yes keen as punch to see these lit up.

http://www.airware.com.au

6Back to top Go down   LED gauge update? Empty Re: LED gauge update? Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:24 am

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
I got all mine from HERE . I did not change out the charge light or the high beam indicator. I kept blowing high beam indicators and the old alternator needed the old globe to get excited..

I used green in place of the old ones and white for the rest.

7Back to top Go down   LED gauge update? Empty Re: LED gauge update? Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:56 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
wise move alby ...the field path through the old "globe" (bidirectional current ) is what our altenators like to see . not only does charging start earlier ...it gives a regular load reference feedback for the whole regulator shooting match ( in many, if not all "regulators" there is a minumum specific load - field current required for good designed operation)

i have seen many solid state adjustable regulators "cark it" because the minimum load for regulation properties has not been observed ..

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

8Back to top Go down   LED gauge update? Empty Re: LED gauge update? Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:20 am

badamack

badamack
i did the job last night.
thanks again to the forum for all the excellent help.

i have not been able to get a good photo yet.
here are my observations:

1.) used a new 194 type incandescent for the charging light as many here have advised.
2.) i only needed 4 red because i don't have abs...
3.) i used white turn signal bulbs but wish i had used green. (i don't know if the BA9 type bulbs are available in green)
4.) all of the indicators where there is colored light behind the colored lens look better.
5.) polarity does not seem to be an issue with these bulbs.
6.) be careful when re-inserting the bulb holders that the flex circuit is in the opening. in at least a few cases it jumped out and needed to be re-seated before the bulb holder went back in.
7.) brake light flickers just a bit when brakes are applied. if this would bother you just use an incandescent there as well (doesn't bother me).
8.) deoxit on the 3 pins for the speedo worked 90%. i think i'm going to have to do more cleaning there to get my speedo 100%.
9.) note: you don't need to take the gauge cluster out of the front housing to do either of these jobs. just take the back off and you have access to everything you need.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum