BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   New Brake Discs Empty New Brake Discs Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:00 pm

BEEJAY

BEEJAY
Decide to bite the bullet today and ordered a new set of Brake Discs from James Sherlock for the RS. These are Hakkane Discs, priced at £72.00 each including VAT.

For you guys outside the UK, the only problem is that they are on a service exchange scheme and you will have to pay postage to get them back.

I should get them in a couple of days and will measure the thickness and post a couple of pics.

Although these are the cheapest that I can find, it is still a high cost and I recently changed all the Discs and pads on my Mitsubishi car and the total cost was £134.00, inc. VAT and delivery.

Bryan

2Back to top Go down   New Brake Discs Empty Re: New Brake Discs Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:44 pm

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
This is an exchange service? So you get BMW carriers and new rotors? This is $72 pound for the pair. Are you replacing your pads as a set to go with the rotors? Once beded in your impressions would be welcome. And the first couple of applications would make an interesting read also.

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

3Back to top Go down   New Brake Discs Empty Re: New Brake Discs Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:33 am

BEEJAY

BEEJAY
Each disc is £72 pounds, so I have ordered two front and one rear, also new pads. My existing pads are fine, but I will always replace pads when replacing discs.

Cheers

Bryan

4Back to top Go down   New Brake Discs Empty Re: New Brake Discs Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:47 pm

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
Now I get the Mitsubishi car quote. What type of pads are you going to run Cintered, impreganted? Chewing gum impregnated pads are find for the first application but tend to be a bit sticky there after.Embarassed Keith

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

5Back to top Go down   New Brake Discs Empty Re: New Brake Discs Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:19 am

brickrider

brickrider
Life time member
Life time member
It's amazing how much variation there is between various rotor suppliers. You've found some that are far more economical that what I typically see. I hope they prove to be good quality spares.

6Back to top Go down   New Brake Discs Empty Re: New Brake Discs Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:27 am

BEEJAY

BEEJAY
Discs and pads arrived yesterday.

The discs are refurbished BMW carriers with new Hekkane rotors. Thickness measured is 5.045 mm, or 0.198 ins. The current discs on the bike are 3.44 mm and I think the min should be 3.556 or 0.14 ins.

The pads are Ferodo Platinum.

I will get some pics. later today.

Cheers

Bryan

7Back to top Go down   New Brake Discs Empty Re: New Brake Discs Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:30 am

BEEJAY

BEEJAY
Photo's of the new Discs.

New Brake Discs Front116

New Brake Discs Front216

New Brake Discs Rear117

New Brake Discs Rear213

Will get them fitted in the next couple of days.

James Sherlock charge a deposit of £50.00 when you order the new discs and that gets refunded when the old discs are returned.

8Back to top Go down   New Brake Discs Empty Re: New Brake Discs Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:00 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
nice !

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

9Back to top Go down   New Brake Discs Empty Re New Brake Discs Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:47 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
I am more than a little jealous. Well done.
RT

10Back to top Go down   New Brake Discs Empty Rear Disc Rotor Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:51 am

CanberraDave

CanberraDave
Gold member
Gold member
Just picked up my new rear disk rotor attached to my new (SH) 16 tooth final drive. The disk looks great and came with a new set of pads. The disc came from Metal Gear and all up cost me $249.Very Happy

VIN # 0097704

What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

11Back to top Go down   New Brake Discs Empty Re: New Brake Discs Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:39 pm

BEEJAY

BEEJAY
New Discs and Pads fitted today.

New Brake Discs Newdis10

New Brake Discs Newdis11

Was expecting a difficult job, with tight Allen screws and bolts, but they all came off easily.

Have only done 50 gentle miles so far.

12Back to top Go down   New Brake Discs Empty Re: New Brake Discs Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:16 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
My new EBC 'floating' rear disc arrived today for the outfit, but I won't be fitting it until I change the swing arm and FD with my 'spline running in oil' mod. I've had warped discs before and these floaters claim to eliminate warping..... we'll see.

New Brake Discs Ssl10818

Looks cool though Cool
Paul.

13Back to top Go down   New Brake Discs Empty EBC floaters Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:01 pm

brickrider

brickrider
Life time member
Life time member
I've had a set of EBC floating rotors on my 1983 R100RS for a number of years. Excellent bit of kit!

14Back to top Go down   New Brake Discs Empty Re: New Brake Discs Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:13 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
looking good beejay

better post up some pics when you get a chance dave

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

15Back to top Go down   New Brake Discs Empty Floating disc Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:00 pm

Halo

Halo
Life time member
Life time member
Wow that looks great I didn't know you could get such a thing for the k's where did you get it from ?
Halo

16Back to top Go down   New Brake Discs Empty Re: New Brake Discs Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:46 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Motorworks, Halo.
Paul.

17Back to top Go down   New Brake Discs Empty Re: New Brake Discs Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:53 pm

japuentes

japuentes
Life time member
Life time member
sidecar paul wrote:My new EBC 'floating' rear disc arrived today for the outfit..... we'll see.
Looks cool though Cool
Paul.

Hi, mine has been for the last 3900 km, no issues so far.
Best regards
JAP

18Back to top Go down   New Brake Discs Empty Re: New Brake Discs Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:21 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I have one on the rear of the K11 and it is a better brake than standard.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

19Back to top Go down   New Brake Discs Empty Re: New Brake Discs Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:40 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks guys,
That's good feedback; as you would expect the back brake gets more use on an outfit.
Paul.

20Back to top Go down   New Brake Discs Empty Re: New Brake Discs Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:29 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
I've just found this info about the technical details of the 'Square Drive' floating discs.....having watched the video I'm glad I bought one!

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/motorcycle_brake/sdrive.shtml

Cheers,
Paul.

21Back to top Go down   New Brake Discs Empty Re: New Brake Discs Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:51 pm

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
Reviving an old post I know but...

Beejay any word on how the disks are holding out?

New Brake Discs 169042New Brake Discs 169034

22Back to top Go down   New Brake Discs Empty Re: New Brake Discs Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:21 pm

I also fitted a pair of EBC discs to my restoration bike a couple of weeks back and love them.
New Brake Discs DSCF0346
New Brake Discs DSCF0347
These were ordered direct from EBC over the web at about £117 each. There was a packet of new screws in one disc to attach the ABS ring with.

23Back to top Go down   New Brake Discs Empty Re: New Brake Discs Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:27 pm

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
alright for those with the 16V! The 8V are £177 I can't believe the design can be that much different!

24Back to top Go down   New Brake Discs Empty Re: New Brake Discs Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:36 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
They're 'only' £151 from Motorworks.
Paul.

25Back to top Go down   New Brake Discs Empty Re: New Brake Discs Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:18 am

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
LOL the thing that may persuade me to spend the extra is the positive reports that there are about swapping over to EBC, I have a feeling that the cheap one's from James Sherlock may be only a bit better than the originals, and of course they are not floating disks....

I still have life in my disks so there is no rush at the moment, but be good to have a plan for what to get in the near future...

26Back to top Go down   New Brake Discs Empty How much better Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:09 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
How much better than the originals does one need?
I've got a few miles on 2 different 85 K's behind me as well as several R's. I've never had any issue with the discs on any of them. As for wear......I think all modern (or many anyway) are designed to wear as do the pads. I first noticed this wear on Mercedes Sprinter Vans. New rotors with every set of pads or at least every other set. I'm guessing that the softer metal in the rotor adds to the braking performance "grip".
I'm sure I'll get a lot of contrary opinion from the group.
Perhaps the "better" brake discs are needed for riders that are severe users?????

27Back to top Go down   New Brake Discs Empty Re: New Brake Discs Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:31 pm

BEEJAY

BEEJAY
twincarb wrote:Reviving an old post I know but...

Beejay any word on how the disks are holding out?

The Disks have been fine, with no issues after 2000 miles. Performance seemed better than the old original BMW disks, but their thickness was below spec. and although the bike passed its annual MOT, the tester kept giving an advisory on the annual test.

The K has now been sold, as I had problems with it's weight and wide seat and replaced with an XJ900.

I still look at the forum daily as it's one of the best and doesn't have the 'flame wars' of so many other forums.

Cheers

Bryan

28Back to top Go down   New Brake Discs Empty Re: New Brake Discs Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:19 pm

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
I have noticed that on cars the disks can wear out very quickly, one of the guys in work said that they are now considered consumable items, at £80 that's a possibility but when it's twice the price I do wonder.

The original disks on my bike have done 80,000 miles but the front are just below spec so should fail the next MOT. My rear disk is slightly warped, not by much.

I may put a cheap disk on the rear and use EBC on the front. I don't think there is such a thing as having to much braking power! As long as it's used in the right way...

29Back to top Go down   New Brake Discs Empty Re: New Brake Discs Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:28 pm

My bike has supposedly only done 64,000 miles and the front discs were 3.5mm thick - 1mm below minimum! I am lucky in that we have no MOT of any sort for bikes here in France, just for cars. I only left the UK and came to live in France for the biking and I'm still here 9 years on.

30Back to top Go down   New Brake Discs Empty Re: New Brake Discs Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:28 pm

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
3.5 mm and flat as well? I am curious when I take mine off and put them on a record player what it's going to sound like. I think it's going to play a tune of hard metal...

31Back to top Go down   New Brake Discs Empty Re: New Brake Discs Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:09 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
It will probably be "Daybreak" by Michael Haggins

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

32Back to top Go down   New Brake Discs Empty Re: New Brake Discs Wed May 01, 2013 10:24 pm

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
TC if you play your disc's on a record player and you hear Queen's "I want to ride my bicycle" your in trouble if not them the disc's are ok

33Back to top Go down   New Brake Discs Empty Re: New Brake Discs Thu May 02, 2013 4:11 am

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
At the moment the rear brake is squeaking like mad. I took the new pads out again yesterday and cleaned the pins up, applied a thin layer of copper grease to them and the back of the pads but to no avail they were ok for the first couple of miles. It's embarrassing!

34Back to top Go down   New Brake Discs Empty Re: New Brake Discs Thu May 02, 2013 6:14 am

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
Thats no good mate, have you taken a rasp to the leading edge (thats the rear edge) a couple of turns with a rasp will take away one possible noise point usually just a 30% angle is enough

35Back to top Go down   New Brake Discs Empty Re: New Brake Discs Thu May 02, 2013 6:22 am

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
leading edge of the pad compound itself? hadn't thought about that tbh, The fronts did take a while to settle in I seem to remember....

36Back to top Go down   New Brake Discs Empty Re: New Brake Discs Thu May 02, 2013 6:25 am

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
yep just a couple of turns to soften the edge on the pad material itself

37Back to top Go down   New Brake Discs Empty Re: New Brake Discs Thu May 02, 2013 6:28 am

twincarb

twincarb
Life time member
Life time member
I think I may just have to give that a go, a job to do on saturday in work i think

38Back to top Go down   New Brake Discs Empty Re: New Brake Discs Thu May 02, 2013 7:29 am

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
we call those little jobs foriegners over here, it seems once upon atime many foriegners were done on OT of a Saturday more than actual work we were there for, but that was then and now, well shhh

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum