BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Copper Slip and CV Joint Grease Empty Copper Slip and CV Joint Grease Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:26 pm

Lazyboy

Lazyboy
Silver member
Silver member
Excuse my ignorance, but why cant a mixture of copper slip and cv joint grease or copper slip or cv joint grease on their own be used for doing the spline lube ????

Bikes Name: Lazyboy

2Back to top Go down   Copper Slip and CV Joint Grease Empty Re: Copper Slip and CV Joint Grease Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:02 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
CV joints have quite a bit of movement to get the grease into the mating surfaces whereas the spline only moves about 1/8in at most so you need a grease that wont squeeze out from between the mating surfaces. I have repaired quite a few gearboxes with worn clutch splines and far more than half of them have had a copper based antisieze or CV type grease on them. I now just avoid it like its got plague and dont even have any around.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Copper Slip and CV Joint Grease Empty Re: Copper Slip and CV Joint Grease Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:27 pm

pjjms

Silver member
Silver member
When I was an aprentice we were never allowed to use antiseize (nickel or copper) on moving joints as its mildly abrasive. Its made for non moving joints like threads.

4Back to top Go down   Copper Slip and CV Joint Grease Empty Re: Copper Slip and CV Joint Grease Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:22 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
The only use for copper or nickel anti seize is for just that exhaust manifold nuts which are prone to seizing after many hot cold cycles, they are worth treating but as a lubricant - no way.
Regards,
K-BIKE

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum