BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Life time member
Life time member
I know some of you have been over this track before as I've read the posts from the google search of the forum.

I decided to knock off work an hour early today in order to fit the new rear Grimeca rear disk which arrived from Motobins yesterday. I got as far as the two allen head retaining screws which duly wrung off. ( I had ordered replacements with the disk). After removing the exhaust (one stud broke there too Mad ), trying and failing with stud extractors, I proceeded to drill out the heads. Vice grips have not succeeded in budging the remains either and the metal in them is so soft I'm now left with 2 ugly little stumps.

My question is.....should I remove the Final drive and try to drill and tap them out or just mount the new disk on the stumps. The screws seem to only hold the disk in place until the wheel nuts are clamped up as far as I can see.

88KE

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

walfish

walfish
Life time member
Life time member
88 - your call really, they are only for assembly purposes, the wheel bolts do all of the work.

92 K 1100 LT  6455097 (gone)

nino

Life time member
Life time member
I had the same problem. For your peace find some good metal workshop. They will remove broken bolts precisely.
And you will be happy

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Cut the heads off the new ones and superglue them to the stubs of the old ones

Only kidding 88! Rear Brake disc retaining screws - Help & advice please. 292303
Hope you get it sorted - beyond my skill set by a furlong
Best
Dave

Life time member
Life time member
MT350Explorer wrote:Cut the heads off the new ones and superglue them to the stubs of the old ones

Only kidding 88! Rear Brake disc retaining screws - Help & advice please. 292303
Hope you get it sorted - beyond my skill set by a furlong
Best
Dave

Rear Brake disc retaining screws - Help & advice please. 112350 Thought you were going to say weld it. :-)

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K75RTP - 1994

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
if you take the drive off 88 ,it will give you the ability to get some penetrating fluid around the threads at least

let them soak for maybe overnight at least , adding a little more as you see it working .

you may need to clamp up the drive in a vice , use the square drive pinion section of the housing in "soft jaws "vice ,as when off they seem to moove around pretty easy and no flat surface to get to

get a hack saw and carefully cut a groove across one of the "now stubs" as fine a blade as you can .

this might let you get a sturdy flat headed screwdriver in there and try and turn them out

before you do anything though get a good hammer ...and hit the stub firmly on its face ..just the once ....we find this is usefull for "breaking " the bond between the screw and the housing

just a though ....

good luck mate

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
These screws are glued with a thread locker (Like this one)
Give it a bit of heat, hit the stub firmly on its face and then it should be a piece of cake.
I replaced my disk about 4 months ago, and yes they could be hard to remove.

CF

Rear Brake disc retaining screws - Help & advice please. Frog15Rear Brake disc retaining screws - Help & advice please. Logo2101986 k75, 1985 K100rt, 1985 K100rt/EML GT2 sidecar, 1999 K1200lt/Hannigan Astro Sport sidecar.

Life time member
Life time member
Crazy Frog wrote:These screws are glued with a thread locker (Like this one)
Give it a bit of heat, hit the stub firmly on its face and then it should be a piece of cake.
I replaced my disk about 4 months ago, and yes they could be hard to remove.

CF

Thanks CF, Nino and Charlie - I had applied a bit of heatr as I could see the thread lock on the new studs but not too much as I was afraid I might damage some seal or something in the FD. It didn't occur to me to hit it and I don't know why. I will try all of those things Heat hit and cutting with a hachsaw to see if I can remove it, If all else fails I will be trying Nino's suggestion and off to the engineering shop. The exhaust stud is going to be a bigger problem I think.

K75RTP - 1994

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Thread can be stock by corrosion, over tightening or thread locker glue. When you apply a big shock on the body of the screw, it stretch the softer threaded material (by less than 1/10,000") and separates the bond between the 2 parts (screw and threaded hole).
This is a Technic well use by mechanics.

CF

Rear Brake disc retaining screws - Help & advice please. Frog15Rear Brake disc retaining screws - Help & advice please. Logo2101986 k75, 1985 K100rt, 1985 K100rt/EML GT2 sidecar, 1999 K1200lt/Hannigan Astro Sport sidecar.

10Back to top Go down   Rear Brake disc retaining screws - Help & advice please. Empty Rear Brake disc retaining screws Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:26 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Same problem I had, I have one final drive in a shop getting drilled out after I broke the head off whilst trying an "easy out"remover tool. Ha.
Am now riding with a spare unit without the retaining bolts in, I cannot see what they do except for alignment on replacing the unit. If I ever get financial enough to buy a brand new disc I will replace them then.
RT

beanoldboy

beanoldboy
Life time member
Life time member
i feel your pain 88 , having had the extact same thing happen. it is merely a momentary setback and not a complete halt to proceedings.

http://www.airware.com.au

Life time member
Life time member
beanoldboy wrote:i feel your pain 88 , having had the extact same thing happen. it is merely a momentary setback and not a complete halt to proceedings.

Thanks for the encouragement Bean but at the moment it feels like it's going to be a real SloMo setback Crying or Very sad . Did you every repremand yourself for ever having started something?

I got as far as unnbolting everything for the FD but the speedo sensor wont budge and I'm a little wary of these sensitive parts so I parked that for a while and turned my attention to the Exhaust Studs. (I removed it for better access with a bigger drill for the brake retaining screws.)

One stud had wrung off at the flange and all the nuts were in really bad condition having been reused once too often by a previous owner. Having read the forum here I decided to remove them all for a clean up and new nuts. I must have been getting tired becuase I attacked the wrong stud with the vice grips and wrung it off in the head.Shocked . At that stage it was close to midnight and I admitted defeat and retreated to bed before doing any more damage.

Looking at it in the cold light of Day. I will now proceed to remove the cylinder head and bring it to the local enginerring shop to extract the stud remains.

Looks like I'm off the road for a while! On the plus side I'll get a chance to really see into the mechanicals of this machine - I'm still on a huge learning curve with the K. I'll get to inspect the cam chain and paint the engine covers while they're off too, somethings that have been on the "to do" list for a long time.

88KE

K75RTP - 1994

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
With regards the speedo drive use two very fine blades and get them under the flange you should then be able to lever it out but use equal force on oposite sides or you could break the spigot that holds the sensor.
CAUTION clean carefully around the sensor before removing as it collects sand etc and that will fall into the drive via the hole.
Heat is the answer. Ues a gas welding torch and heat the screw as quickly as possible and the thread lock will soften and the bolt almost falls out. Apply the heat very locally to the head of the bolt and dont let it get red hot or you will need to replace it.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
dang ...sad to hear that 88

heres hoping it all gets fixed up ...cheers and comiserations

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Life time member
Life time member
charlie99 wrote:dang ...sad to hear that 88

heres hoping it all gets fixed up ...cheers and comiserations

Thanks Charlie, It'll get fixed up ok because it has to! Very Happy

Since getting back on the bike I've bene using it for the weekly forray to Dublin city centre and the saving in time fuel and parking fees really justifies keeping the bike on the road, not to mention the enjoyment. So we'll get over the hurdle somehow!

K75RTP - 1994

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum