BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Guys

Today I changes the TB's rubbers and manifolds. I was able to do it without removing the TB assembly or disconnecting the throttle cable. With new parts fitted the throttle is very stiff and will not turn very much at all so when I start the bike the engine is racing and I cannot change the revs. Any ideas pleaase? I've clearly done something but it does not look like the cable is catching or anything else is snagging it.
Thanks
Dave

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Have you checked the choke linkage?
Could be somethings have come out of position, or been bent.

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Inge
The choke linkage is fine and moves properly. Maybe te throttle butterfly is bent or otherwise damaged, not sure.

Dave

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Try to disconnect the cable, and move the butterflies w/o the cable connected.
Then you should get an idea if it`s the cable or the b/f that is the reason to the problem.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
check the clamps around the inlet manifold rubbers (below the tbs )...i had a to adjust a few times to get it right, it would bind the linkages if not setup correctly .

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Yeah will do Charlie, I've had a pig of a job getting the clips on, could be one or more is snagging

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Indeed, normally the last stub, where the clamp is touching the 'choke' cam if it isn't turned away.

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland Help - changed TB rubbers and now the throttle is stuck Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
It was a couple of stubs catching on clamp screws. Thanks, it was obvious but I couldn't figure it out. Just spent two hours taking it all apart to sort one clamp.....I have good, sound, advice for anyone wishing to do this work Very Happy - put the clamps on the TB rubbers before (can I say again BEFORE) you put it all together. Getting the thread started with the clips I used (which are like the OEM ones on the airbox tubes) is nigh on impossble once the rubbers are in place. In the end I used an appropriately sized jubillee clip as I just couldn't get the thread to bite on the monkey-metal clamp - the jubillee clip was longer so no such problem.

Some of you who are similarly afflicted will appreciate that knowing there is one odd clamp on the machine will be a source of irritation for some time to come.......even if no-one else will notice

Best Smile
Dave

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
oh well ...we do have a friend that notices just about everything that isnt quite right ...dont we blakey ..?

i recon youve set a good trap dave ....

good onya for getting a solution happening

(mutters to self ...really must get my idle position sorted ...had a brain hickup ...must be the tps holding it open a bit )

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Brickee

Brickee
Silver member
Silver member
I went to this site and got the Suzuki clamps that others on the forum have suggested rather than use the one time Oerliker? clamps. They're about the same price as the OEM and work so much easier. You can tighten them up when you get everything back together and make sure nothing is binding.

http://www.powersportsplus.com/parts/detail/suzuki/SP-09402-48207.html

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
"oh well ...we do have a friend that notices just about everything that isnt quite right ...dont we blakey ..?"

Yeah, but it's for your own good! Very Happy

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
touche my friend ...and we're lucky we have you ..

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Well there you go. Took her for a ride in the clear light of day and what a difference; smoother and more power. Very Happy No spilts all the way through the TB rubbers but corrosion between air intake pipe and top of TB No.1 was probably letting in unmetered air. Same cylinder had a lot of corrosion on the injector electrical plug so a good clean up with contact cleaner may have helped things there. All the TB rubbers were split some of the way so good to replace. While I was at it also fitted new manifold stubbs, stub 'O' rings and injector 'O' rings both ends, and injector to rail clips and then put OEM fuel line on feed and return lines.

On the clips - I replaced the OEM (pictured) one-off disposal type below on the air intake tubes (shown before the work was done)...

Help - changed TB rubbers and now the throttle is stuck Tb110

With the other OEM type that are a solid loop of metal with a screw/captive nut, These were the problematic ones (for me!) to put on once TBs etc were back on as difficult to get the screw to bite as no spare length. If I fitted them and then tried to insert the TB's into the rubbers the TBs did not want to go - too tight. Clips can just be seen below in far right of shot

Help - changed TB rubbers and now the throttle is stuck Tb210

Not sure what the Suzuki ones look like Brickee - but in another 90K miles I'll defintely be looking to do something differently!

Hope this helps someone?!
Cheers
Dave

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
blakey wrote:"oh well ...we do have a friend that notices just about everything that isnt quite right ...dont we blakey ..?"

Yeah, but it's for your own good! Very Happy

Now where is that choke lever cap????

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Choke lever cap? I could do with one of them..... Very Happy

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
moto-bins...3 pommy pounds. Cheap as chips.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Cheers Blakey, I'm going to have to get one Wink

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum