BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   cam cover removal Empty cam cover removal Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:08 pm

Life time member
Life time member
A bit of advice if you would, sage bretheren of the K forum.....

I'm stuck removing the front cam cover (just being cautious as it's my first time doing this). CAn't seem to get the back plate of the hall effect sensor out, all fastners removed. Also the oil pressure pipe/wire to what and how is it connected - not giving with a gentle tug and I don't want to force either of the above bits. They are all that's standing between me and removing the cover for cam chain inspection and painting.

thanks

88KE

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

2Back to top Go down   cam cover removal Empty Re: cam cover removal Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:18 pm

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
For clarification purposes, this procedure sounds more like the front timing chain cover than the cam cover, which is the left hand side engine cover.

The oil pressure and water temp switch leads are a pull-off design on the end of the switches themselves. After prising off the rubber boots a gentle twist and tug sideways, as they're the mushroom type (at least one of them is/not pushed straight on), will get them off. The leads then feed through the timing chain cover.

The hall sensor backing plate has two screws in it which you say you've removed. How 'bout a gentle tap with a soft object on each 'side' of the plate in a back and forth motion? It's likely just caught up due to having been fastened there so long. With everything else removed it might come off once you're gently pulling on the timing chain cover. The connector for the ignition is up near the tank, right hand side. I just leave that hanging and tied off somewhere, unless you need it right out of the way. A 'soft' hammer (plastic or rubber) works wonders with aluminium covers when you're having to enforce their eviction notice.

3Back to top Go down   cam cover removal Empty Re: cam cover removal Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:14 pm

Brickee

Brickee
Silver member
Silver member
Be sure to scribe where that Hall effect sensor plate is before you take it off, or at least take a picture of it. Otherwise you'll have to reset the timing. From the other posts I've seen, you need special tools to do that. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious.

The good news is, I no longer have senior moments. The bad news is, now it's a constant state of mind.

4Back to top Go down   cam cover removal Empty Re: cam cover removal Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:25 pm

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Why did you not post this 3 weeks ago Brickee, before I took off the backing plate without a mark or photo?

rossco

5Back to top Go down   cam cover removal Empty Re: cam cover removal Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:14 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
awww poor rossco .....dang huh ?

always good to get a detailed pic if were pulling apart something new ?

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

6Back to top Go down   cam cover removal Empty Re: cam cover removal Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:23 pm

Brickee

Brickee
Silver member
Silver member
I'm good, but not that good. Here's a piccy I took of mine when I did mine this last winter.
cam cover removal Img_0017
This position, according to the Clymers manual, is the ball park setting. It will run decently at this spot. One of the members posted an excellent how to w piccys on setting up the timing using the right tools within the last week or so. Some time ago, GITH posted some experimentation he did with advancing it even more with good results. He would have more info on that. Hope this helps.

The good news is, I no longer have senior moments. The bad news is, now it's a constant state of mind.

7Back to top Go down   cam cover removal Empty Re: cam cover removal Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:12 am

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Oh, that bit. Yeah, I did that. Hope that little white mark didn't rub off yet. I thought you meant the plate at the back with the little notch out of it.
Please tell me that is not the bit you were referring to.

cam cover removal Dsc02713

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

8Back to top Go down   cam cover removal Empty Re: cam cover removal Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:36 am

Brickee

Brickee
Silver member
Silver member
The plate and cup behind the HES will only go on one way, you're safe there. But I have a pic of that if you need it.

9Back to top Go down   cam cover removal Empty Re: cam cover removal Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:43 pm

Life time member
Life time member
Yep I scribed a mark with a sharp point on it Before I tinkered but if it all goes pear shaped I've a good Bulgarian bike mechanic a few villages away!

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum