BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Replacing leaking engine seals Empty Replacing leaking engine seals Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:12 pm

paul.dickson_VA

paul.dickson_VA
Hello All,

I just recently purchased a 1985 K100RT - not sure how many miles, but odometer stopped working (broken cable) at 25K miles. There are a few leaks, e.g. engine oil, shaft. I purchased the bike to restore it - just curious if changing faulty seals can be done without removing the engine/trans, or is this much easier to remove the motor from the bike completely? I have plenty of time - just looking for the best approach. Thanks.

Paul

2Back to top Go down   Replacing leaking engine seals Empty Re: Replacing leaking engine seals Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:25 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Hi Paul welcome to the forum.
The speedo is electronic and has a sensor on the rear drive a bit above the filler cap.
The problem is most likely a bad connection at the plug just behind the right battery cover its a small black 2 pin connector.
With regard to the seals you will need to remove the gearbox to do the two seals there the most likely leak being at the rear main shaft the other is at the alternator drive shaft.
I would remove the engine if only to make the resto a little easier. You more undo the bolts and lift the bike away from the engine.
Feel free to start a thread about the resto as all the guys here are interested and some pictures but you will only be able to post them after 7 days.
Oh yeah hop over to the intro thread and make a post and after 3 posts you can get a password to the downloads page and see the mountain of info there.
All the best with the resto
Rick

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Replacing leaking engine seals Empty Great suggestions Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:31 pm

paul.dickson_VA

paul.dickson_VA
Rick - thank you. I have a K1200LT - thought I would buy the K100RT for a hobby bike. Good suggestions - thanks again.

Paul

4Back to top Go down   Replacing leaking engine seals Empty Re: Replacing leaking engine seals Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:43 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
aye !!! good sugestions rick

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum