BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   A gap in my weekend detox program! Empty A gap in my weekend detox program! Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:00 pm

Life time member
Life time member
The past couple of days have produced sunshine at last, in what has been to date the wettest and darkest summer in Ireland since records began. Working from home these past couple of weeks has seen me juggle kids with work and domestic bliss all in the confines of our own property. So this evening after seeing the weather forecasters predict more rain for tomorrow I muttered and mumbled like a professional grump. Then, without warning, “She who must be obeyed” said ”if you want to go for a spin on the bike I’ll mind the kids” - I almost bumped into myself in the rush through the door!

Riding out the gate and down the hill from our house I was unsure where to go with this unexpected freedom, so I pondered the possibilities as I pumped some gas and then some air into my beloved LT. Exiting the shop door the beauty of the evening sun struck me and what better place to see it set than the highest pass around known simply as “The Wicklow Gap”. From where I stood this gave me a good choice of routes ranging from hacking goat tracks to a quick blast up the motorway and into the mountains on reasonable roads to the twisting rolling route of the Vales of Avoca and Clara. I decided on the latter as I had promised myself more of these roads on my last trip along them. Rolling out of Arklow and heading northwest along the Beech Road (So named, despite its proximity to the coast, for the overhanging trees) I wondered if I had made the right choice with the low sun in my eyes. I flipped down the sun visor and pressed cautiously on taking the next few turn more on memory and faith than sight. Relief came in the form of the decent into the village of Avoca where I turned onto the Valley floor to head north, thankfully in the shadow of the hill. These are roads I know well and I settled into the rhythm of the sweeps and turns and enjoying the lean in and roll on the throttle out of a road that has no straights. The pleasure turned to adrenalin filled joy as I departed the village of Rathdrum along one of the most twisting rollercoaster roads this country has to offer. The abrupt little hills and sharp sweeping turns, sometimes on the apex, mean that trying to make swift progress is not for the feint hearted or inattentive. At times a mere 60kph feels insanely fast as the road disappears and sweeps left or right from under you as you crest a hillock almost airborne. After a few kilometres the road settles again into more sweeping turns and delivers you neatly over a quaint stone bridge to the village of Larragh. I eyeball the door of Lynham’s Pub and think about a nice cold beer or a strong coffee but I have a date with the sunset and it won’t wait for me. I keep rolling, swinging west for the climb to the gap but am simultaneously tempted and distracted by the idea of a cool photograph of the Round Tower of Glendalough that has stood for nearly a thousand years as a backdrop to the K. It’s a tiny detour and the roads seem devoid of tourists, feeding time I guess, so I seize the opportunity.

Bike positioned, pictures quickly taken.

A gap in my weekend detox program! Glrnda10

Mmmmm, not happy, bike repositioned, pictures quickly retaken.

A gap in my weekend detox program! Round_10

Then back on the original route I swing up the mountain once again then sky is now flaring with the Pink and orange glow making the uphill ribbon of tar seem like a ramp to the very heavens.

A gap in my weekend detox program! Ramp_t10

As I pull into the viewing area I see a bike in an unusual spot. “A like minded individual” I think to myself as I look at a rider standing beside his bike, which he has parked on the wooden viewing platform protecting the thin layer of mountain bog from feet. “Room for one more?” I shout across to him and he beacons me up. I ride along the wooden planked path and park up beside him where we exchange knowing, respectful nods.

As we view the sunset he tells me he’s come home this way to clear his head, like minded indeed.

The view west....

A gap in my weekend detox program! W-gap_10

The view east.....

A gap in my weekend detox program! W_gap_10

Edward is from Poland and living here now. We chat bikes and road trips and favourite local roads until the sun sets.

A gap in my weekend detox program! Like_m10

Then we become aware of the chill as the cool mountain air settles in dew on the bikes. We agree to keep an eye out for each other on local routes before shaking hands and departing. I relish the downhill run and the engine seems sweeter revving a bit higher in lower gear. I glance again at the door of Lynham’s but swing over the bridge in one motion. I’ve decided to call into a fiend to see his house renovations and wangle a freshly brewed coffee in the village of Glenealy.

Progress inspected, coffee imbibed, I head east again along the now dark sweeping turns that lead to the main Motorway to the southeast and home. A strange light in the North Eastern sky makes me wonder how bright it is at 11pm for the Scandinavian brethren on the forum. I roll through the roundabouts, picking up pace and join the M11 heading south and home. An impatient BMW car driver runs up behind me in a 5 series with very impressive lights. I move left to let him overtake me then wind out the throttle to take advantage of the spread of light. Keeping a safe distance, we streak through the night at 140kph and I’m felling the relief of a clear head, heightened by the chill of my unlined jacket on my shirt sleeves. In no time I was exiting the motorway and sweeping up the hill home.

As I pulled the bike onto its centre stand I smiled at the memory of the words of a friend “I won’t need rocking tonight!”

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

2Back to top Go down   A gap in my weekend detox program! Empty A gap in my weekend detox program! Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:45 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Excellent work 88K
I love to see the rest of the world. My Doctor has actually encouraged me to go on more trips, seems to lower the blood pressure.
Well done
RT

3Back to top Go down   A gap in my weekend detox program! Empty Re: A gap in my weekend detox program! Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:27 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
marvelous 88 ...

thanks for the insight and travelog

what we all appreciate friend ...

cheers

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

4Back to top Go down   A gap in my weekend detox program! Empty Re: A gap in my weekend detox program! Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:35 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Great story and great pics!

Thanks 88.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

5Back to top Go down   A gap in my weekend detox program! Empty Re: A gap in my weekend detox program! Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:48 am

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Excellent and engaging writing, 88. I was reading, following with enthusiasm and picturing the scenery in my mind's eye. Well done, and thanks for sharing that with us all. I must get there to ride someday. I haven't been in your part of the world since 2000.
Cheers.

Albyalbatross1

Albyalbatross1
Life time member
Life time member
RT wrote:Excellent work 88K
My Doctor has actually encouraged me to go on more trips, seems to lower the blood pressure.
RT

I agree with the others..Excellent stuff. Really would like to taste some whiskey with the smell of peat in the air!!
I have found that bailing out on the K is almost like cheating my BP tests as well. Can we market this???

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
he he ...maybe alby ...or maybe we can enchorage our northern friends to get out and about a little more often ..and share their experiences with us on here, the scenery is just brilliant ......and a welcome insight

funny, i was sitting next to a british guy on the plane over to adelaide last week...he mentioned the fact that they have had the worst summer in a lot of years ...(meaning rain and stuff ) it must be depressing ...

i hope this post by 88 inspires more travelogs

i have a feeling that gith has inspired more than just pics of a weekend ride ...and all i can say is the more the merrier

kudos 88 A gap in my weekend detox program! 112350 and all our international kbike bretheren

(love the demon on the front )

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Life time member
Life time member
charlie99 wrote:
i have a feeling that gith has inspired more than just pics of a weekend ride ...and all i can say is the more the merrier

kudos 88 A gap in my weekend detox program! 112350 and all our international kbike bretheren

(love the demon on the front )

Got that in one the artist formerly known as TWB wrote a compelling read of a sunday morning spin up to some hilltop coffee house near Brissy which lifted my spirits here and inspired me to try the same. Charlie & Sidecar Paul's sharing of their recent forays has helped. Don't we all love to see the greener grass on the other side?

Any member willing to travel here will be assured some hospitality....

I'd trade you a Guinness & whiskey over a peat fire and some bacon'n'cabbbage for a barbqued burger and a cold stubby any day you care to come this way!

Glad you enjoyed chaps, I certainly did! - Next week I'm hoping to head west to connemara for the long weekend. If so I'll be sure to blog it.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K75RTP - 1994

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Magic stuff and many thanks to SWMBO who facilitated all of us enjoying that.
Regards.
K-BIKE

10Back to top Go down   A gap in my weekend detox program! Empty Re: A gap in my weekend detox program! Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:59 pm

krambo

krambo
Life time member
Life time member
A great writeup of what was obviously an overdue taste of freedom and the open road, lovely pics too. I really must do Ireland on a bike before many more years go by. Thanks for the inspiration Wink

11Back to top Go down   A gap in my weekend detox program! Empty Re: A gap in my weekend detox program! Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:31 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks,88,
Brilliant pictures and description; lifted my spirits, after returning from Norfolk today on the Vin, encountering 100 miles of WET.
(Now back to the 46 new posts since Thursday)
Cheers,
Paul.

12Back to top Go down   A gap in my weekend detox program! Empty Re: A gap in my weekend detox program! Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:50 pm

MT350Explorer

MT350Explorer
Life time member
Life time member
Great story 88 you capture the qualities of the Emerald Isle beautifully. Years since I was there - a very rough crossing to the Aran Isles is a highlight etched in my mind. What a welcome escape a ride is!
Cheers Very Happy
Dave

13Back to top Go down   A gap in my weekend detox program! Empty Re: A gap in my weekend detox program! Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:12 pm

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Monday being my Sunday I've wandered 'downtown' to discover an 'Irish pub' called the Twisted Kilt where $4 cold pints (16 oz US pints) of Guinness are properly poured by a friendly, smiling red headed Hispanic girl called Isabel, and I've had two (pints, not Hispanic bartenders) in honour of we forum members traveling by motorbike in Ireland someday.

14Back to top Go down   A gap in my weekend detox program! Empty A gap in my weekend detox program! Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:13 am

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
I'll drink to that!

15Back to top Go down   A gap in my weekend detox program! Empty Re: A gap in my weekend detox program! Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:44 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Will [88KE]

There must have been something in the air last Friday. I got home from work about 4.30pm and the evening was too nice. I had done around 220miles durign the day but finished much earlier than expected.........

At the expense of some domestic stress the K won out and I could not head off on holidays the next day without a run.

So at 5.15 I headed off, kitted out, got back 11pm 270 miles later. Up the motorway for part, needed some adrenalin letting off. It was warm, sunny, took out all the thermal linings and settled for just a shirt. Proved to be just perfect.

K seems to love bruising the miles away and it is like something wanting to be completely opened up.

Visited a friend in Cashel with whom I have a long standing arrangement to call in if I am passing between Dublin and Cork. He lives on his own and enjoys the company where we can discuss the merits of conservation, architecture, music of all genres but a fountain of knowledge on classical music. And enjoyed the opening of the Olympics

A neat one hour run home from there caps it all off nicely.

Now that I have the electrical matter sorted Will would love to take a trip up Wicklow Way as they say, I grew up loving those routes you took at Glendalough, starting with a bicycle before I was old enough for a motor bike. The downhill home run on a bicycle never mind a motor bike was sheer pleasure.

It would be lovely to get some sort of a run together to enjoy those routes.....

I am back from holidays around 8th August and looking forward to another run.

I sent a photo back from our campsite in Westport......he loved it but his comment was WHERE's THE BIKE? I just said dont ask.....!!

It took 270 miles to get that one out of the system....and admittely the petrol was cheaper than going to the doctor for stress relief.

K bikes are good for your health and sense of wellbeing.

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 48,061 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 61,190 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

16Back to top Go down   A gap in my weekend detox program! Empty Re: A gap in my weekend detox program! Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:49 am

Life time member
Life time member
So True Olaf, it's not so much what was in the air as what wasn't.....rain Wink - As regards wellbeing, the gas is about €25, the quack is €45. No Contest! Very Happy .

What we could organise, if you're up Carlow way, is a spin up the west side of the Mountains via the N81 (Nice twisties too) and hang a right at Hollywood over the gap, down to Woodenbridge, hang another right to Aughrim (great road) and either head to my place for a stopover, or go back out via Carnew to Carlow, or out to the N11 if you're heading for Roslare. Think about it and PM me.

I'm away from Aug 14th to the 19th but the family are away before that early on the 10th so anytime that weekend is good for me. I'm not at all averse to taking the spin to the "Peoples Republic" either. I bet there's some great roads down that way too.

88KE

Last edited by 88KE on Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:53 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : amend input)

K75RTP - 1994

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum