BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Windscreen coating Empty Windscreen coating Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:55 am

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Hi everyone
I'm looking at putting an original RT screen on my 85 RT. At the moment I have a tall barn door style I bought from UK, and it is excellent for winter. I have the original screen which was terribly discoloured and in my
futile attempt to polish it I have now made some serious buffing (electric) marks.
So I am thinking of covering the outside with dark tint film (gold would be great but I'm not that much of a poser, well maybe I am but it might reflect the sun back at me).
Does anyone have any experience with this, I guess the tint on the outside would cop a beating from grasshoppers and grit, but I don't think paint would look too good.
Thanks in advance
RT (yes that's my name as well it just had to be really, just took 50 years to realise a matchup).

2Back to top Go down   Windscreen coating Empty Re: Windscreen coating Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:28 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
you didnt try brasso rt ....?

worked well for me

maybe some 2nd cut car polish could help before hand ?

sorry cant help with the tinting ...but maybe a call to the car window guys might give you some ideas ?

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

3Back to top Go down   Windscreen coating Empty Re: Windscreen coating Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:13 pm

Life time member
Life time member
Yeah RT, I toyed with this idea too. The tiniting film doesn't stretch that much (if my info is correct). I reckon it would need to be carefully cut a little at the base along the sharp vertical seams in the screen so as to allow it to follow the curve and take out any kink. I think it would need to be professionally done and I have seen curved glass tinted with only barely visible seams left in the curves where the excess was removed with a craft knife.

Vehicle Wrap Vinyl would be a DIY Job . You could do the coating both inside and out so it looks consistent from both sides but of course you wouldnt see through it- Not necessarily an issue if looking over the screen or were using a cut down one. If you do get it done please share the results in picture and writings!

88KE

Last edited by 88KE on Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add text)

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

4Back to top Go down   Windscreen coating Empty Windscreen coating Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:08 am

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks, I'll post progress scores. It's actually warming up a treat here lately so I need to get my finger out soon.
Charlie I tried everything, wet/dry paper to 1200, cutting compound, and was having great results until I spied the electric wheel buffer and polishing paste (I had polished my exhaust up on it), then it kind of melted a bit.
Off to the Auto tinters I think.
RT

5Back to top Go down   Windscreen coating Empty Re: Windscreen coating Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:11 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
giggles ...well you cant say you didnt try rt ...

hope you find a solution mate ...cheers

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

6Back to top Go down   Windscreen coating Empty Re: Windscreen coating Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:09 am

Toto_jp

Platinum member
Platinum member
You could also use spray on tint used years ago on my old panel van
not sure if you can still get it then you can spray clear over the top to
stop it getting scratched when you clean it
cheers Tony

7Back to top Go down   Windscreen coating Empty Windscreen coating Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:52 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Tony that sound more up my alley. Looks like I will have to go to the auto shops, what a shame!
RT

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum