BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   K75 Brake issue Empty K75 Brake issue Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:34 am

Lucky Lou

Lucky Lou
I have started to get an odd "feel" from the front brakes, feels a bit like the ABS cutting in but i have pulled the relay due to a duff sensor so i dont think its that, its not a judder just feels a bit odd.

Any clues.

Ta Lou

2Back to top Go down   K75 Brake issue Empty Re: K75 Brake issue Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:29 am

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
Sounds like a disc has warped or cupped, if you put it on the centre stand and jack up the front end you can spin the wheel and listen to or feel for a tight spot. this may indicate if its cupped or warped or perhaps scored and might require a skinning they can be checked for thickness and if too thin may have to be replaced. but some minor warpage or cupping can be honed out with a honing stone etc. if both are warped abit each. then its possible to undo one disc and turn 90* to allow the warped bit to act separate to the other disc. whilst you go about getting others to replace them. If you remove one calliper you can assertain if a disc is acting up. If in doubt others will make a suggestion or you can have them checked at a machine shop.

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

3Back to top Go down   K75 Brake issue Empty Re: K75 Brake issue Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:39 am

japuentes

japuentes
Life time member
Life time member
Hi there, I had the same problem and after a lot of measuring and high level engineering speculation, decided to take off the discs to correct the warpage... just to find that the calipers were very dirty and the pads under their replacement thickness.
Hope this helps
Best regards
JAP

4Back to top Go down   K75 Brake issue Empty Re: K75 Brake issue Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:04 pm

Lucky Lou

Lucky Lou
I have only done about 500 miles on it since a complete rebuild of the front brakes, i fitted new pads stripped and cleaned the calipers the bike as only 40k miles and the discs looked ok i will strip and clean them to see if it helps thanks for the input.

Lou

5Back to top Go down   K75 Brake issue Empty Re: K75 Brake issue Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:50 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Check your brake lines for bulging when the lever is pulled. I have recently seen 3 instances of the brake lines giving up and leaking into the outer sheath but not out onto the ground. It will give you a spongy feeling as if the ABS has cut in and is limiting the pressure to the caliper.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

6Back to top Go down   K75 Brake issue Empty Re: K75 Brake issue Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:28 pm

Lucky Lou

Lucky Lou
I stripped and cleaned the pads, checked the lines and everything seems ok. This does not happen at low speeds ? but it does feel like ABS cutting in when braking at over 50 mph, it does not bother me that much as i have got used to it but i am curious as to what it could be.

Lou

7Back to top Go down   K75 Brake issue Empty Re: K75 Brake issue Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:16 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
its not a wheel bearing is it ?

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

8Back to top Go down   K75 Brake issue Empty Re: K75 Brake issue Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:34 pm

Lucky Lou

Lucky Lou
Had a wheel bearing go on my Airhead a while back felt nothing like this, strange thing is i have pulled the relay on the ABS so there is no way it should cutting in i had the wheel off during the rebuild and stripped the discs off for repaint of the centers at the time i did check the bearings and they seemed fine no play and quiet in rotation.

Lou

9Back to top Go down   K75 Brake issue Empty Re: K75 Brake issue Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:49 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Since have removed the discs and repainted the centers, did you mask the mounting area.

I would have checked the runout...............

10Back to top Go down   K75 Brake issue Empty Re: K75 Brake issue Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:02 pm

Lucky Lou

Lucky Lou
Inge K. wrote:Since have removed the discs and repainted the centers, did you mask the mounting area.

I would have checked the runout...............

Good thinking Inge, i did mask the braking area on the discs but i laid the discs flat on the bench to spray them and it is possible that overspray went behind i will check the rotation against a pointer to ensure they are true.

Thanks Lou

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum