BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

zaubertuba

zaubertuba
Silver member
Silver member
Hello All!

I'm a long-time R-Bike rider, having owned a 1974 R75 /6 and bringing it back to health to serve as my daily ride/commuter here in Southwest Idaho. I've always enjoyed the camaraderie among BMW owners--irrespective of model. Got a real good dose of that at the Northwest Passage rally in Spokane a while ago. Smile

A long time ago (before I bought my /6), I took a used K75RT for a test drive and was utterly impressed at its power and handling (I owned a 400cc UJM at the time). I've never forgotten that ride, and have always been enamoured of the technology in the K-bikes.

Now I have a party interested in trading his '87 K100RT from my bike. I've done a lot of major work to my bike (including upgrading to 900cc, dual-plugs, etc...), and it's been a faithful steed, but I'm not so emotionally attached to it that I'm scared of letting it go. It's in "good" condition, but definitely not mint or perfect.

Neither of us has the wherewithall to have much extra cash on hand, so we're looking at a straight-across trade.

The fellow sent me detailed pictures and video clips. The bike is on its third owner...and has obviously been down before he got it, perhaps a couple of times:

Greetings...and a sanity check request. ***Warning--Long first post!*** P1100412

Greetings...and a sanity check request. ***Warning--Long first post!*** P1100413

He also sent me video of the engine running--pics of starting, hard acceleration/deceleration, and there doesn't seem to be any dreaded tell-tale "this motor is shot" blue smoke. The motor starts reliably, and he also reports that he hasn't had to add any oil between oil changes. He says he *has* added 3 qts. of gear oil in the last two years, though, and it's due for new brake rotors. He's put 6,000 miles on it in the two years he's owned it. It's got just over 100K on the odometer (still working). My bike has at least that--the Odo stopped working several years ago, I estimate it's easily got 115K on it.

I'm eager for another "project-bike/restoration," and am fairly handy with a wrench, but don't want to spend a bunch of money on deep-engine work like I did on on the old airhead (that project started with a $2K overhaul at Bobs BMW when I was still in Maryland--and that was just getting started).

Cosmetic work doesn't scare me. Nor does anything I can do in my own garage with standard tools and modestly-priced gaskets/replacement parts. I've been reading up on spline-lube procedures and told myself.."O.K., no problem."

When I asked my lovely, understanding wife for a gut-check she reminded me how bad a shape the R-bike was when I started on it, and...didn't I have fun getting it back into good shape, after-all?

Darn, that woman knows me too well. Wink

So...to bring this lengthy post to the question....am I crazy wanting to trade my mostly-restored (but admittedly long-of-tooth) R-bike for what looks to be a "project-K?"

CommanderKewl

CommanderKewl
Silver member
Silver member
Congratulations! Knowing that sanity is sometimes painted as IN sanity is the first step to a cure!
sick
let us know how you make out on this!
Many experienced people out here..
Lots of information these guys have compiled and more learned every day!

Might as well do what others here have done and made their restos" into blogs as well as picture books.

Good luck if it goes thru!

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
zaubertuba wrote:

So...to bring this lengthy post to the question....am I crazy wanting to trade my mostly-restored (but admittedly long-of-tooth) R-bike for what looks to be a "project-K?"

In a word YES.
You will get a heap more for a good R 75/6 than it takes to buy a good working K let alone one that needs as much attention as that one.
I see many Rs of that era going for $6000-$7000 and Low mile late model Ks going for $2500-$4000.
My advice is sell the R then Buy the K and restore it.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

dee why

dee why
Gold member
Gold member
Hi zaubertuba,

I agree with Rick G. Your R is worth much more than the K bike. I wouldn't be tempted by a straight swap.

The R v's K bike thing is hard. I owned a 75/7 for 10 years and a Mystic for 4 years until someone torched it!!!!!

Every now and then I get a serious itch for another R bike, but alas I live in a one bike at a time household. Sad

That feeling of an R bike at 5000rpm singing along is unbeatable. Then I remember the /7 soggy front end, ate brake and carbs that never wanted to run together.

I know now that with $ and know how these issues can improved.

The classic K's are visually challenging but offer reasonable standard brakes and forks. Good carrying capacity, handling and heaps of torque make them easy to live with.

Just like R bikes K parts prices can be breathtaking, especially here in Oz. For example, definitely carefully check the price of brake rotors.

And K bike prices won't get near classic R prices anytime soon. But as we all know that can be a good thing.

Good luck with your deliberations.

Cheers,

04/86 K100 VIN 0009479 Columbia Silver

zaubertuba

zaubertuba
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks for the sage advice, all!

I may be over-representing the condition of my bike, though...I know about the R/K price discrepancy but I guess I've never been sure I'd be *able* to get full price for my bike, just because of a few basic things that usually "flag" potential buyers (all of which this potential buyer has been informed of):

1.) The odometer doesn't work and the actual milage on the bike is unverifiable.

2.) In spite of all my work (of which I'm perhaps a bit too proud of), the top end *still may need a redo again--at least a ring job. She's not nearly as oil-tight as she was a couple years ago.

3.) At the Bobs Service I was informed the input shaft splines were "worn/damaged." It's documented on the service record. The tech. also told the damage wasn't extensive but he couldn't guarantee it wouldn't fail, either (the usual cover-their-butt sort of statement). Still, the damage is documented, and I declined the recommended replacement at the time because of what the tech. told me and it was taking an already expensive engine job and putting it into insane budget territory...perhaps not the best call at the time.... Embarassed

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
looks like the k has been "over" but not "down the road "..(at high speed anyhow ) ... from the pics you have posted ...it happens ...high seat , legs not planted properly

enjoy !

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

zaubertuba

zaubertuba
Silver member
Silver member
charlie99 wrote:looks like the k has been "over" but not "down the road "..(at high speed anyhow ) ... from the pics you have posted ...it happens ...high seat , legs not planted properly

enjoy !

That's encouraging. I hadn't thought about "0 mph crashes" Wink

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
If your R75 is in better condition than that K which by what I see would not be difficult then you will get heaps more for it.
The people who are buying the Rs now want a bike that is fairly simple to work on and at the age of yours it is starting to be a collectors item.
Also there are many people to whom a BMW is a boxer engined bike and that is pushing the price up. To be quite honest I would be keeping the R and getting a rundown K like this one http://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/3200250586.html and work on it. It is a good buy at that price if it is reasonably close to you or even within driving distance.

Looking now I see it is a looooong way away, but there are lost more like that around in US and in Australia

Last edited by Rick G on Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:15 am; edited 1 time in total

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
I would keep the R , as much as i iove the K for modern riding . Aim to buy a k later if the minister of finance approves .
You will regret losing the R , don't know how many times i've read that , not that the K is inferior just different . Every good person needs both !

PS .... Go for a K75 , you liked that one remember ?

zaubertuba

zaubertuba
Silver member
Silver member
zaubertuba wrote:
1.) The odometer doesn't work and the actual milage on the bike is unverifiable.

2.) In spite of all my work (of which I'm perhaps a bit too proud of), the top end *still may need a redo again--at least a ring job. She's not nearly as oil-tight as she was a couple years ago.

3.) At the Bobs Service I was informed the input shaft splines were "worn/damaged." It's documented on the service record. The tech. also told the damage wasn't extensive but he couldn't guarantee it wouldn't fail, either (the usual cover-their-butt sort of statement). Still, the damage is documented, and I declined the recommended replacement at the time because of what the tech. told me and it was taking an already expensive engine job and putting it into insane budget territory...perhaps not the best call at the time.... Embarassed

So, the consensus is I could get more money selling my R-bike even considering the above?

Last edited by zaubertuba on Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
I've restored a couple of K100's in the last 3 years, and would tell you I would not pay even $1200 for the one you have posted - truly it needs a complete tear down (even if you leave the engine guts intact) to bring it back to favor. Even a 'soft' R75 will pull $3500 here in Canada, and from what I've noted, the American/Canadian prices are similar.

I agree with the others, if you want a K, sell your R first, and keep an easy $1000-$1200 in your pocket to spend on a K resto even after you buy a K. You should be able to find a nice K for $2200 - $2500 I would think, at least using the Seattle area as my guide to K values.

Obviously, this whole idea came up because of the the straight up swap offer. For sure that fellow would be getting a real 'win' in the deal. I'll bet if you tried to buy it outright, he would either decline, or be overvalue.

Why not ask him what he thinks he would sell if for cash only? That may give you additional food for thought.

1988 K100RS SE VIN 01477554

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
K bikes can be picked up quite cheap. I know with a budget here of €2,000 or US$2,500 I would get a good clean one. The websites and parts availability are excellent and despite a few issues they seem easy enough to keep on the road on a modest budget if you have some technical skills. Good R bikes are different though so no swap. Go buy a K bike, keep it cheap, probably buy 2 and use them to make 1 good one. Engine casings and castings will need cosmetic work and if you have 2 you have the pick of parts. If you buy 2 runners for the money then you should have enough to work with. Once restored the bike will last forever......and be a joy to ride. I had 380 miles on mine on Saturday and felt invigorated and fresh after it.

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 48,061 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 61,190 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

zaubertuba

zaubertuba
Silver member
Silver member
Just so we know what we're talking about...here's a pic. of my R-bike:

Greetings...and a sanity check request. ***Warning--Long first post!*** Img20120813104759

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
And a toaster tank to boot. I've got $1200 burning a hole in my pocket!!!

zaubertuba

zaubertuba
Silver member
Silver member
club_c wrote:And a toaster tank to boot. I've got $1200 burning a hole in my pocket!!!

lol! But now thanks to you guys I know better...

Muchas Gracias...with the collective "we think you can do a lot better," I have a much better idea of what I should be expecting. I really appreciate the forthright advice. Very Happy

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
Good result "the forum hath spoken " .

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Good to have you with us and good luck in your search.
Regards,
K-BIKE

18Back to top Go down   Greetings...and a sanity check request. ***Warning--Long first post!*** Empty So, I think I did a little better.... Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:50 am

zaubertuba

zaubertuba
Silver member
Silver member
Happened to find this on Craigslist. Drove up to Pendleton to do the trade this morning...

Greetings...and a sanity check request. ***Warning--Long first post!*** 1985_k10

Yes, no fairing lowers/cowl, but the bits that are there are in great shape. Progressive shock, Supertrapp muffler.

...and it's an '85. Only 37K on the clock. Both parties walked away quite happy. Very Happy

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
So you swapped out the R for the K?

zaubertuba

zaubertuba
Silver member
Silver member
club_c wrote:So you swapped out the R for the K?

Yes...his asking price was a heckuva lot closer to what I researched I could reasonably sell mine for.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum