BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Dashboard question Empty Dashboard question Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:11 pm

claudejones

Does anyone know if the Dashboard from an '85 K100RS will fit in a K100RT - this one doesn't appear to have any holes for the instruments, but those could be drilled if the dash will bolt in to the fairing. If anyone is interested in selling one of these, I'm in the market - my bike tipped over in a parking lot this week while I was stretching a bungee chord over something and I cracked the dash all the way across on one side

2Back to top Go down   Dashboard question Empty Re: Dashboard question Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:57 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
If it`s part 12 and 26 you have in mind, it`s quite different RS vs. RT.

Dashboard question Interi10

3Back to top Go down   Dashboard question Empty Re: Dashboard question Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:04 pm

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
I agree.
I think it would be much easier to pick one up on eBay or from a breaker.
Its the kind of spare that isn't normally in much demand and would be cheap to buy.
It would be difficult to think of a scenario where you could damage it!

http://www.johnsdrivingschool.co

4Back to top Go down   Dashboard question Empty Re: Dashboard question Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:55 pm

claudejones

The dashboard I found was on eBay. I'm pretty sure as others have said, it won't work on my RT as it is specifically stated it's for an RS - I'm watching eBay for this part and just posted a request in the buy and sell section of this forum...

5Back to top Go down   Dashboard question Empty Re: Dashboard question Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:15 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
claude ...they can be repaired

with a soldering iron no less

Dashboard question 2012-092

Dashboard question 2012-091

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

6Back to top Go down   Dashboard question Empty Re: Dashboard question Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:40 pm

claudejones

That's an option - I bet a layer of JBWeld on top of that solder work would make it even stronger

7Back to top Go down   Dashboard question Empty Re: Dashboard question Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:22 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

8Back to top Go down   Dashboard question Empty Re: Dashboard question Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:47 am

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Claude, check beemerboneyard.com for used stuff.

1988 K100RS SE VIN 01477554

9Back to top Go down   Dashboard question Empty Re: Dashboard question Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:04 am

claudejones

club_c wrote:Claude, check beemerboneyard.com for used stuff.
Already did, thanks.

10Back to top Go down   Dashboard question Empty Re: Dashboard question Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:20 am

claudejones

Here's the part I need, #2

Dashboard question Dashboard

11Back to top Go down   Dashboard question Empty Re: Dashboard question Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:34 am

Life time member
Life time member
If it's either of these two bits Claude (not including the speakers)...
Dashboard question Img_0810

I've got them left over from my electric screen conversion. Let me know and I'll check out the postage cost at my local post office.

88KE

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

12Back to top Go down   Dashboard question Empty Re: Dashboard question Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:49 am

claudejones

That lower one on the seat 'could' be the one. Depends on what's under those speakers. Mine has a gas gauge on the left, and a temperature gauge on the right. Is there a part number stamped on your part? Several posts back, I showed the microfiche picture of what I need and there's a part number #46631453939 which I'm pretty sure is the right one - doesn't mean other part nos. wouldn't work, but, I just don't know.
Dashboard question MyDashboard

13Back to top Go down   Dashboard question Empty Re: Dashboard question Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:17 pm

Life time member
Life time member
On studying your picture there Claude, yours looks different to mine in that the panel where the gauges are mounted is flat. On mine the speaker is mounted on a profiled block to present them squarely.

With the speakerts removed there is also a 3.5 inch hole to recess the speakers on mine, which would be way too big for the guages. Close....but no cigar I think!

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

14Back to top Go down   Dashboard question Empty Re: Dashboard question Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:50 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Center cover predrilled for gauges, part # 46 63 1 453 939.
Center cover predrilled for speakers, part # 46 63 2 303 230.
Clean center cover w/o holes, part # 46 63 1 453 173

You could use the for speakers, and make your own adapter plates for the gauges.

15Back to top Go down   Dashboard question Empty Re: Dashboard question Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:09 pm

claudejones

Inge K. wrote:Center cover predrilled for gauges, part # 46 63 1 453 939.

You could use the for speakers, and make your own adapter plates for the gauges.

I found a brand new one at big BMW parts house in the U.S. The above part number is the same as the one I came up with. Can't use the speakers because I don't have a radio (and don't really want one). Thanks for your input.

On a different note, can anyone summarize what I have to remove in order to replace that part?

16Back to top Go down   Dashboard question Empty Re: Dashboard question Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:26 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
screen ...bridge , side pockets and thats about it

carefull with the connectors on the back of the guages

and it should lift out with care

they have a bit of a gasket -rubber seal around the front edge of the dash section usually

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

17Back to top Go down   Dashboard question Empty Re: Dashboard question Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:33 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
claudejones wrote: Can't use the speakers because I don't have a radio (and don't really want one). Thanks for your input.

What I did have in mind was making adaptor plates covering the bigger holes,
after the speakers have been removed.
And then mount the gauges in these adaptor plates.

But it doesn`t matter now, when you luckily enough have found the correct part.

claudejones wrote:On a different note, can anyone summarize what I have to remove in order to replace that part?

The genuine workshop manual you can download here.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum