BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

zaubertuba

zaubertuba
Silver member
Silver member
The one thing really missing from my '85 RS is the grab handles in the seat--it has an aftermarket Corbin that didn't come with rails. I don't really want to part with the Corbin seat, but it doesn't look like the later model seat cowel (with the grab rails on the cowl itself) would be compatible with it.

The backrest on the stock topbox really isn't much of a substitute. Any ideas for a better (yet still decent-looking) handhold to offer my pillion passengers?

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Assuming it's your wife, she could just reach round the front.
If it is one of the kids...Velcro
Other than that, I got nothin

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

zaubertuba

zaubertuba
Silver member
Silver member
rossco wrote:Assuming it's your wife, she could just reach round the front...

I kept telling her that, but for some reason she's not comfortable with it. Embarassed

Actually, she's used to riding with her Dad from way back, and always used the grab rail on his R75.

The boys do hold on to Dad, but it is a little uncomfortable for them for longer stints.

rosskko

rosskko
VIP
VIP
Maybe some sort of short length of wire and a PS3 remote between you and passanger

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
My corbin (1985) has handles built in the seat.
If yours doesn't have the handles, you could make some. You can screw some grab bars on the seat pan. The seat pan is strong enough to hold the hinges, it should be strong enough to hold grab bars. Just an idea.

zaubertuba

zaubertuba
Silver member
Silver member
Maybe some sort of short length of wire and a PS3 remote between you and passanger

A video game remote? That'd be better than Velcro for a boy, don't think it would work with the wife, though. Laughing

Crazy Frog wrote:My corbin (1985) has handles built in the seat.

Like the stock early seat? Must've been an option, because it seems like theres plenty of space at the back of the seat for those recessed grab handles...but it's just upholstery there.

If yours doesn't have the handles, you could make some. You can screw some grab bars on the seat pan. The seat pan is strong enough to hold the hinges, it should be strong enough to hold grab bars. Just an idea.

That's not "just" an idea...sounds like a good idea--Even better if I can find grab bars that would bolt-through. Would probably need some kind of spacers between the pan and the leather to not distort the upholstery. Idea

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Sorry, I looked at the Corbin this afternoon and it doesn't have the handles built in.
I am so excited to get the new bike (Monday) that I was thinking about the original seat on the rig. Shocked

CF

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum